Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do Canadians feel about PM Steven Harper?
I like him 23 32.86%
I dont always like him 14 20.00%
I dont like him 33 47.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times

Advertisements

Stephen Harper often comes across as a goon who admires George W Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times
He is the least worst of all the alternatives... I am getting pretty tired about him blatantly b*lls*itting the public about a economic recovery this year though... Its pathetic and sad, but that is what the public wants I suppose. As long as Canada is doing better than the US, that's all that matters... Nevermind the most recent unemployment figures...

He's the only one though who we can trust who won't try (and they can only try) to confiscate peoples guns.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 PM

33 posts, read 269,194 times
I like him! I think he is the best PM we seen in decades! and he is a good leader and this is the man for the job especially with the recession...I trust him more than IGGY and taliban Jack Layton soo....for me anything but Liberal..............tired of their lies and stealing and overtaxing!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM

33 posts, read 269,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJeremy View Post
One of the problems I have with conservatives is that they don't stick to their promises; they say they aren't going to influence private business, and they say they will keep taxes to a minimum, but then when companies like GM (no offence to any employees who are getting laid off; this is a jab at the corporation, not the little guy) make cars that people don't need/want (like SUV's), and there's an economic downturn, and nobody wants their cars anymore, the conservative government would come around and decide to "bail them out"...hey! I can't pay my mortgage, because I lost my job! Are you gonna help me out? Nope! Only corporations! And now you're doubly screwed because we don't have unemployment or welfare! ha!

I am sorry but when I read this part "One of the problems I have with conservatives is that they don't stick to their promises" I had to laugh! tell me which party sticks to their promises? the Liberal government never did thats for sure...so you tell me?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,698 times
My family in Alberta is very fond of him. I know that Americans tend to be very fond of him, especially Republicans and Conservatives. My family and I only wish that he could get the votes in parliament that he needs to truly make a difference. I also wish he had a good Republican in the United States and a good Conservative in Great Britian to work with to make good for the world and our economies.

Canadians tend to be just too overly hooked on the government. Outside of Alberta they also lack respect for tradition, something that is so celebrated here in the United States. I would say that Liberalism in Canada is the equivalent of Conservatism in the United States in terms of political force. In the US Conservatives outnumber Liberals 2.5-1 and I am sure that it is those numbers reversed in Canada.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
. Outside of Alberta they also lack respect for tradition, something that is so celebrated here in the United States.
I would be really interested in knowing what your definition of "tradition" is, especially in light of your claim that Alberta seems to be its lone stronghold in Canada.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
PC Government for 38 years.

Alberta is really just a single party state that changes the party once every generation or so.

Pass another NEP, I mean Oilfield Penalty Tax, I mean Carbon Tax and you'll see the second coming of the Socreds or their equivalent.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
I know that the majority of Americans have no idea who he is or what he stands for to have any opinion on him. Also the concept of a conservative in Canada is different from the US. A Canadian conservative is more like an American moderate. I have no strong opinion on him, not impressed, not displeased. The last "conservatives" that I have lived under, Bush Jr. and Howard (Australia) had less than stellar reputations in their countries. No need to discuss Bush; John Howard was not even elected to his seat in parliament -- which is very rare. I also believe Tony Blair' association with Bush helped secure his defeat in the UK, IMO. Frankly, I'm not convinced that conservatives have the end all knowledge on how to fix economic woes. Haven't seen in the recent past. Not sure who has the real knowledge, only time will tell if Obama's plan works but I digress as this thread is on Mr. Harper.

The one thing for which I am thankful for is he (Harper) has not gotten Canada into the Iraq war.. this would be a major mistake and he knows it. Canada as an independent country and is not required to support all of the decisions of its southern neighbor.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-30-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Canadians tend to be just too overly hooked on the government. Outside of Alberta they also lack respect for tradition, something that is so celebrated here in the United States.
I'm sure Canadians will want to know what you mean by a lack of tradition that is so lacking in Canada, especially since you are an American who has never lived in Canada and make observations akin to an armchair quarterback.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

The one thing for which I am thankful for is he (Harper) has not gotten Canada into the Iraq war.. this would be a major mistake and he knows it. Canada as an independent country and is not required to support all of the decisions of its southern neighbor.
Hmm... well, Harper was actually in favour of Canada taking part in the war when Bush wanted to go in 2003, but the Tories were in Opposition at the time. Once Harper became Prime Minister, in 2006, it had become totally obvious that it was a disaster so of course he didn't want to throw Canada into that mess.

Had Harper been in PM in 2003, Canada would be in Iraq alongside the U.S. right now, or at least desperately trying to pull out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada