Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 AM

175 posts, read 1,594,242 times

Advertisements

It strikes to me that Canada's pop culture is all about its southern neighbor (with the exception of hockey probably). When you turn on the TV, except for the news, most of the dramas, comedies, reality shows are either American or the Canadian version of an American show (eg. Canadian Idol). I have been here for year and I have not seen a single Canadian movie in the theatre. I am not quite sure about pop music but my guess it is pretty much the same. So far I can't name a single Canadian celebrity as well. And it seems to me that despite the fact that most Canadians take pride in being not American, they have no problem at all reading, watching and listening everything American and never feel the sting that "why don't we have anything of our own?"

Maybe I am mistaken or ignorant, but I would love to know much about non-American Candian pop culture that defines the identity of Canada (again, other than hockey).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM

26,937 posts, read 38,286,279 times
There is certainly lots of indigenous (I guess you could call it "Canadian") pop culture in Quebec. But it’s not particularly well-known in the rest of the country.

The pop culture that exists in Quebec (and sometimes spills over into francophone areas of neighbouring provinces like New Brunswick and Ontario) is actually quite "national" (for lack of a better term) in feel and similar to that of most independent countries.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM

362 posts, read 1,188,780 times
Quote:
So far I can't name a single Canadian celebrity as well
Try google.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Try google.
It’s true that there are tons of Canadian celebrities that are household names in North America: Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Michael J. Fox, Howie Mandel, Dan Aykroyd, Jason Priestly, Elisha Cuthbert, Evangeline Lilly, Ellen Page, Carrie Ann Moss, Keanu Reeves, Kiefer Sutherland, etc. It’s just that most people wouldn’t recognize them as Canadians and think they’re Americans.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It’s true that there are tons of Canadian celebrities that are household names in North America: Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Michael J. Fox, Howie Mandel, Dan Aykroyd, Jason Priestly, Elisha Cuthbert, Evangeline Lilly, Ellen Page, Carrie Ann Moss, Keanu Reeves, Kiefer Sutherland, etc. It’s just that most people wouldn’t recognize them as Canadians and think they’re Americans.
Exactly, and the reason being they are always in American movies instead of Canadian movies. What a shame!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,581,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
....Canadian version of an American show (eg. Canadian Idol).
Actually, American Idol is an American version of a British show (i.e. Pop Idol). Same is true of The Office.

And, many American movies and TV shows are filmed in Canada.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM

This doesn't help promoting Canadian culture at all. It actually works in the opposite way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

And, many American movies and TV shows are filmed in Canada.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,581,736 times
Quote:
This doesn't help promoting Canadian culture at all. It actually works in the opposite way.
I'm not sure I enjoy the way many American shows promote American culture, to be honest. But, hey, Canada has the Trailer Park Boys. Sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish.

On a serious note, Canada is small country in terms of population, so there may not be the budget to create a lot of home-grown shows that can be exported. Although, HGTV is sure full of them.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You’re absolutely right here Evanusc. The American-oriented shows and movies that are "Canadian in name only" that are made here because of lower costs then usually qualify as "Canadian content" and take up space that should be for real Canadian stuff in prime time slots on the Canadian TV networks, and - if they have crafty people working in the financing dept. - sometimes can even take away government subsidy money (which is often available for TV and films in Canada) from authentically Canadian productions.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

On a serious note, Canada is small country in terms of population, so there may not be the budget to create a lot of home-grown shows that can be exported.
It is not really a question of exporting programming. The vast majority of TV production around the world is not for export, but for domestic markets only.

Quebec (with three or four times less people than English-speaking Canada) has a dynamic domestic TV industry. So does Australia, which is smaller in population than Anglo-Canada as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada