Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times

Advertisements

Is this normal?

I posted a comment on this youtube video of two Canadians hunting beavers... They made ZERO attempt to retrieve their kills, one of them shot a beaver in the middle of the water and it began to flounder and flop around, he remarks, "oh there it goes, it's gone forever!" as it sinks under the water, he then says, "oh well, we'll get another one later" or some such thing, and he shoots another one a few moments later, with the result being the same, he just watches and let's it sink. Eventually he manages to shoot two beavers that are so close to the shore all he has to do is paddle his boat towards the shore and scoop them up.

YouTube - Floating for bear bait

I posted-

If you're not prepared to go into the water to retrieve your kill, don't make the kill to begin with.

My logic tells me that if they're not willing to get out of the boat and get into the river/water or make some serious and real attempt to recover the beaver they just shot, they have no place shooting beavers and they have no place hunting. You don't just kill something and let it sink to the bottom to rot, if you kill an animal you should utilize it for some purpose.

Not only did they not respond to my comment, they removed it and blocked me.

It wasn't as though I said, "ohhh, stupid Canadians!" or "yuck, vile hunters!" because neither would be appropriate and I actually hunt myself. The difference is that I spent about two hours one day trying to locate and retrieve a pheasant that I shot, eventually coming to question whether it actually went down or not. My dad and I shot it at the same time, we saw feathers fly, but we didn't see where it went down. We looked for about two hours and finally concluded it must have just been grazed or it had sunk into a nearby bog and it would be impossible to locate. But we made two hours worth of attempts.

I don't think it is unreasonable to criticize another hunter for making ZERO attempt to retrieve something he just shot 20-25 feet away in the same river his boat is in, is it?

I've noticed that Americans like to debate and/or argue and would probably have either got into a debate about how to retrieve a kill or a flame war about "what the hell are you talking about, how dare you tell me how to hunt" rather than just deleting the critical comment and blocking the poster. It's always seemed to me that Canadians are incredibly hostile to any sort of criticism.

Does anybody else notice this or know what I'm talking about? Was there anything rude with the comment I referenced making to them? Is there any Canadian hunter here who would be upset if somebody said-
If you're not prepared to go into the water to retrieve your kill, don't make the kill to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
... I've noticed that Americans like to debate and/or argue and would probably have either got into a debate about how to retrieve a kill or a flame war about "what the hell are you talking about, how dare you tell me how to hunt" rather than just deleting the critical comment and blocking the poster. It's always seemed to me that Canadians are incredibly hostile to any sort of criticism.
Uberalles, IMHO, it seems you have made the opposite point - deleting your comment and blocking you, is incredibly PASSIVE - not incredibly hostile!

If they were hostile they would tell you to go f-ck youself, or, as you said you believe Americans would typically do, "get into a debate about how to retrieve a kill or a flame war about "what the hell are you talking about, how dare you tell me how to hunt" "

I don't think anyone welcomes criticism, but if anything, Canadians are more likely to get passive rather than agressive (or hostile) and the above is a perfect example of it - they are so passive about your criticism, that they merely hit delete and blocked you. They aren't going to engage in any conversation or deal with your criticism proactively or agressively. It's passive behaviour all the way - and cowardly. But then again, they are obviously idiots to a) not be responsible enough to retrieve their kill and b) post their stupidity on youTube.

And
Quote:
Was there anything rude with the comment I referenced making to them?
Nope. Made perfect sense and you were right in calling them on it!!

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-14-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: shorten quote

Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
I can assure you that this is the law in Alberta as well... Problem is that Redneck White Trash people who lost the genetic lottery of life knows no boundaries.... All Caucasian predominant countries have these types of people.

Canadians are pretty sensitive about this phenomena though. Part of why your average Canadian things Canada is superior to the US is the illusion that these types of folks don't live in Canada. You attempted to pop the bubble, shame on you.

The majority of Canadians are passive aggressive in the "Midwest nice" kind of way. It's a vestige of our rural roots in my opinion... Canada is not that big a country where you can afford to burn bridges indiscriminately....

Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Uberalles, IMHO, it seems you have made the opposite point - deleting your comment and blocking you, is incredibly PASSIVE - not incredibly hostile!

If they were hostile they would tell you to go f-ck youself, or, as you said you believe Americans would typically do, "get into a debate about how to retrieve a kill or a flame war about "what the hell are you talking about, how dare you tell me how to hunt" "

I don't think anyone welcomes criticism, but if anything, Canadians are more likely to get passive rather than agressive (or hostile) and the above is a perfect example of it - they are so passive about your criticism, that they merely hit delete and blocked you. They aren't going to engage in any conversation or deal with your criticism proactively or agressively. It's passive behaviour all the way - and cowardly. But then again, they are obviously idiots to a) not be responsible enough to retrieve their kill and b) post their stupidity on youTube.

And

Nope. Made perfect sense and you were right in calling them on it!!

I once had a guy in Toronto tell me he was going to chop my head off, scoop out my brains, and use my empty head as a cereal bowl. I suppose that counts as direct and aggressive, but then again he did have a major goal of moving to the USA and gaining American citizenship.

I'd say those guys are absolutely idiots, to post such a crappy video on youtube and expect not to be criticized for it.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

It strikes me as sort of hostile, as I reserve blocking/deletion for people who are being vulgar, abusive, mean, etc. I don't block somebody or delete a remark for a simple disagreement or criticism.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I don't think anyone welcomes criticism,

I think you'd agree that those guys were basically inviting criticism, almost begging it...

Weren't they?

They post a video of themselves acting like slobs, blasting beavers and chuckling about not even making an attempt to retrieve them. They look like bloodthirsty drunks who get their jollies by shooting things dead. They're an insult and disgrace to real hunters. They post this crap on the internet for all to see, and they weren't expecting criticism?

I'd almost have to think the guy was itching for a fight, unless he's an monstrous narcissist who is so out of touch with reality that he expected people to pat him on the back over that video.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
I think you'd agree that those guys were basically inviting criticism, almost begging it...

Hopefully some other people will send them similar comments to yours I don't think they realise they are idiots - I think they probably think they are hilarious

Quote:
They're an insult and disgrace to real hunters....

Absolutely.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i dont think this is about canadians. it appears to be about hunting etiquette. i dont have to go to canada to see breaches of hunting etiquette

Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont think this is about canadians. it appears to be about hunting etiquette. i dont have to go to canada to see breaches of hunting etiquette
That's what I was going to say.

Why would you assume those two dolts and that Youtube video are representative of Canadians as a whole? Why would you apply those two to the entirety of the Canadian population?

That would be like me saying "Are Americans really this dumb when it come to answering basic questions?" after watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

It really has nothing to do with them being Canadian. It's about two particular Canadians who are white trash losers who obviously have no respect for nature and no mental capacity to debate. They're boneheads, but they're not unique to Canada.

Last edited by Robynator; 03-14-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 04:12 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It's really not about hunting etiquette though. I think it's about how an idiot American hunter who posted a video on youtube of their stupidity would react to negative criticism for said idiocies versus the way an idiot Canadian hunter would react to criticism for same said idiocies.

And then perhaps that these are typical ways Canadians respond to criticism versus their American brethren.

Just for clarification.

Idiots are everywhere, and a great country like Canada is no exception unfortunately. I think everyone is in agreement that these guys' hunting etiquette is terrible. And I think there really is something to be said for the differences in the way Canadians and Americans react to things such as criticism since we are two different societies, even if we are quite similar to each other. And yes, like Robynator says, they're boneheads with no mental capacity for debate, and can be found everywhere. But maybe Canadians would be less likely than American couterparts to debate/burn bridges, even the large numbers who have the capacity to do so? A la 'Midwest nice' or 'Northwest nice" as someone said...

Perhaps?

Last edited by backdrifter; 03-14-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada