Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times

Advertisements

Is it a good time to immigrate from the United States to Canada? To a city like Calgary or Edmonton?

What are jobs like for those in the health care industry (physicians)? Understanding that salaries/reimbursment is much lower in Canada, the United States is going down the same road to socialized medicine anyway and the health care industry here is becoming increasingly unstable as is our currency!

P.S. I was shocked to learn that income tax rates in Canada, regardless of tax bracket, are usually lower than the United States!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
So long as your qualifications are readily transferable to the province to which you intend to relocate, you're very unlikely to have problems actually finding employment as a physician.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Are you sure you want to do this?? In prior posts you said you that you were only looking in the US and that Canada is a cowardly country. Can you be happy living in a land of cowards?

//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&p=6431868
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
WHY I CHOOSE TO KEEP MY JOB SEARCH TO THE UNITED STATES ONLY:
It is shocking to me that there hasn't been more press coverage back when this occured and more tension between Australia and the United States with Kevin Rudd's decision to withdraw all 550 combat troups from Iraq earlier this year. I find that really dissapointing, even though combat is over in Iraq. I think Australia could have still been more supportive. France, Canada, and now Australia are cowardly nations. All three bank on the United Kingdom and the United States.
You were upset when Australia did not do the US' bidding and decided to withdraw from Iraq. What would you do if Canada does not support the US in its next war? You'd be quite unhappy here...

Last edited by minibrings; 03-31-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Is it a good time to immigrate from the United States to Canada? To a city like Calgary or Edmonton?

What are jobs like for those in the health care industry (physicians)? Understanding that salaries/reimbursment is much lower in Canada, the United States is going down the same road to socialized medicine anyway and the health care industry here is becoming increasingly unstable as is our currency!

P.S. I was shocked to learn that income tax rates in Canada, regardless of tax bracket, are usually lower than the United States!
If you are looking at Calgary be prepared for a much higher cost of living. Cost of living is similar to Los Angeles, but you will experience -30C temps instead of sunny beaches. For a physician such as yourself who could live anywhere you might want to look elsewhere until cost of living comes down here. Now if you were in the oil and gas industry and didn't have many cities to choose from, that is a different story.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:

You cannot compare base income tax rates between the two countries, the tax structure is completely different and you have to account for deduction and exemptions as well. With that being said the overall tax burden in Canada is MUCH higher than the US.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
You cannot compare base income tax rates between the two countries, the tax structure is completely different and you have to account for deduction and exemptions as well. With that being said the overall tax burden in Canada is MUCH higher than the US.
Would you happen to have a link to a source that has this comparison? The only one I have found was wikipedia (and we know that may or may not be a reliable source). It compared the average income and tax rate. It would be 29.1% for the US and 31.6% for Canada.
Would appreciate it if you do.. as this is of interest to me..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Would you happen to have a link to a source that has this comparison? The only one I have found was wikipedia (and we know that may or may not be a reliable source). It compared the average income and tax rate. It would be 29.1% for the US and 31.6% for Canada.
Would appreciate it if you do.. as this is of interest to me..
This is the best breakdown I have seen: NationMaster - Tax Freedom Day > % Burden (most recent) by country

You can click on each country for a comprehensive breakdown.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
This is the best breakdown I have seen: NationMaster - Tax Freedom Day > % Burden (most recent) by country

You can click on each country for a comprehensive breakdown.
Actually I think their numbers are off..

I just found this one (Canadian) from Ernst and Young
2008 personal tax calculator (http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf/Canada/Tax_-_Calculators_-_2008_Personal_Tax - broken link)
I think I'd trust the numbers from a Chartered Accountant

so the average tax rate (combined Federal and Provincial) of the highest tax burden province, Quebec, is 29.09 versus 32.69 for the US.
Oz is correct (33%), NZ is not listed but its 39% for salaries over 60kNZD or thereabouts..

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Actually I think their numbers are off..

I just found this one (Canadian) from Ernst and Young
2008 personal tax calculator (http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf/Canada/Tax_-_Calculators_-_2008_Personal_Tax - broken link)
I think I'd trust the numbers from a Chartered Accountant

so the average tax rate (combined Federal and Provincial) of the highest tax burden province, Quebec, is 29.09 versus 32.69 for the US.
Oz is correct (33%), NZ is not listed but its 39% for salaries over 60kNZD or thereabouts..
We are actually referring to two completely different things here though. I am speaking of overall tax burden, which includes personal income taxes, goods and service taxes, property, corporate and payroll taxes. Independently personal tax rates are not a good measure of overall tax burden, because there is so much more involved and each country/province/state have different exemptions and deductions.

Oh and btw I am a CMA

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
We are actually referring to two completely different things here though. I am speaking of overall tax burden, which includes personal income taxes, goods and service taxes, property, corporate and payroll taxes. Independently personal tax rates are not a good measure of overall tax burden, because there is so much more involved and each country/province/state have different exemptions and deductions.

Oh and btw I am a CMA
Thanks.. this explains the difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada