Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM

321 posts, read 853,293 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a question for anyone living in Ontario who might be familiar with Canadian Law. Is it possible to get a restraining order against a family member who is sending foul messages to me on facebook. My thirteen-year-old daughter unfortunately opened up something on her facebook and discovered my brother had sent two verbally abusive messages to me over a situation he shouldn't even be involved in.

The situation is regarding my son and I. My son has stolen money from me, stolen and pawned CD's, DVD's and books. He lived with me for a while but paid nothing for staying here. The building where I rent did an assessment of his earnings and told him that he would have to pay a certain amount of rent if he was going to be a tenant. He moved out shortly without paying leaving me with his rent bill. He also committed fraud on my bank account twice. He brought drugs into this home even though I asked him not too because of my daughter.

After that, my hubby and I continued to give him money when he needed it because he promised he would pay it back - which he didn't. And we also gave him boxes filled with food and groceries. We also fed him everytime he came over so that he wouldn't go hungry. Now he lives in P. E. I so we know we aren't getting the money back.

I sent him a message through facebook asking him why he stole from me and and the end result was that he contacted my brother and told him probably half of the truth and my brother reacted by leavig messages for me attacking everything I've ever done in my life.

The messages on facebook from my brother were disgusting and they included swear words that my daughter had to deal with. Along with that he told me to stay tuned for round three, that more attacks were coming.

So I need to know - Can my hubby and I get a restraining order for verbal attacks on a computer site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 107,961 times
Unless you've been a victim of domestic violence from your son, then my guess is no. You can however block people on Facebook, and if problems continue to persist, let Facebook know that you are being harrassed by one of its members, they should take action against them by disabling their account(s).

If your son steals from you, you should go to the police next time if you haven't already. If he or anyone else threatens you harm, then certainly go to the police.

Also, if you make it clear to anyone that you wish to be left alone and yet they persist on making you uncomfortable, they may be facing criminal stalking and you should contact the police.

Go over these links, and see if anything applies to you.
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictiona...arassment.aspx
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictiona...arassment.aspx
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResource...-Stalking.aspx

Last edited by Torontonian1980; 03-30-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM

321 posts, read 853,293 times
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada