Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 83,213 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what Kitimat is like? I've recently applied for a position in Kitimat British columbia. I don't know if I will be considered because I'm an american. However my wife and I would love a change.Can anyone help???

Thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM

82 posts, read 619,093 times
Default Gorgeous, but extremly remote

Hi Mike,

For the basic run down on kitimat, wikipedia offers some insight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitimat...itish_Columbia
Truth be told, I have friends whole were born and raised in the region. All i can offer is that, as you might well imagine, it is remote. If you're in to Big City living...you couldn't be farther from it in Kitimat, however if you love remote living and nature, you're surrounded by it. Fly fishing heaven, as well as good hunting abound though, so if you and the missus are outdoorsy types, it's the place for you.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 AM

17 posts, read 83,213 times
Default thank you

Dear Moose Jockey,

I apreciate your help. My wife and I are looking for the quiet life. We both grew up in rural areas that have been over run now. I work as a steamfitter so my work revolves more around industry. That makes it hard to find good paying work near a remote location. However we are patient. I will check out the web site you recommende.

Thanks again, Mike

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,473 times
So instead of a pipeline to Texas, Canada's wants to build one from Alberta to Kitimat. I imagine there'll be a lot of problems. Does anyone know if a pipeline through BC is a violation of the Nisga'a treaty?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
So instead of a pipeline to Texas, Canada's wants to build one from Alberta to Kitimat. I imagine there'll be a lot of problems. Does anyone know if a pipeline through BC is a violation of the Nisga'a treaty?
Is it a done deal already?

The last time I heard about it, it was a year ago.
Photos: Great Bear Rainforest in B.C. faces oil pipeline proposal | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com

Last edited by dougie86; 11-15-2011 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: deleted bad video links

Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 AM

475 posts, read 814,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Is it a done deal already?

The last time I heard about it, it was a year ago.
Photos: Great Bear Rainforest in B.C. faces oil pipeline proposal | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com
It's coming!!

Even sooner if Obama keeps dragging his feet on the XL pipeline.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
It's coming!!

Even sooner if Obama keeps dragging his feet on the XL pipeline.
The plot thickens ..
Quote:
'Ethical Oil' campaigner joins Stephen Harper's office :: The Hook
The head of EthicalOil.org, a so-called "grassroots" campaign promoting Alberta's oil sands, has now left to join the Prime Minister's Office.

But a Tyee investigation revealed that Velshi's group appeared to have close ties to McLennan Ross LLP, a prominent Alberta legal group which claims to represent "63 per cent of the most dominant oil sands players."
The Ethical Oil argument was popularized by right-wing commentator Ezra Levant and has since been used by both Environment Minister Peter Kent and Prime Minister Harper.
I'm more concerned of the twinning of Trans Mountain pipeline than the Enbridge Gateway Project.
bc2007: Huge Burnaby oil spill

The Tyee – Kinder Morgan's Grand Plan to Pipe Oil Sands Crude
That will bring about 10,000 more jobs during the construction phase perhaps.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Kitimat is certainly isolated so if you are looking for a quiet, small town then Kitimat definately qualifies. It has lots of recreational opportunities but be warned ........it is a smelter town. It is a smelly mining town with no redeaming features for the town itself.
Also know that the area has a high crime rate due to the high native population.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Kitimat is certainly isolated so if you are looking for a quiet, small town then Kitimat definately qualifies. It has lots of recreational opportunities but be warned ........it is a smelter town. It is a smelly mining town with no redeaming features for the town itself.
Also know that the area has a high crime rate due to the high native population.
Have you read the news recently?

Quote:
November 15, 2011
Coast Tsimshian Resources, a Northwestern BC forestry company wholly owned by the Lax Kw’alaams First Nation, has won the 2011 Tech GREEN Company Award of the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC.

Coast Tsimshian Resources’ woodlands are located within close proximity to the Ports of Prince Rupert, Kitimat, and Stewart. Their primary products are Hemlock, Coastal Balsam, Western Red Cedar and Sitka Spruce.
BCLocalNews.com - Coast Tsimshian wins green award
Quote:
November 02, 2011
BC branch of the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters (CME) recognized Coast Tsimshian Resources LP as the best Northern BC Exporter at their awards luncheon last Friday.
The Northern View - Coast Tsimshian Resources wins big
Quote:
December 20, 2010
Coast Tsimshian Resources pays dividends to members of First Nation
A TOWN CALLED PODUNK: Coast Tsimshian Resources pays dividends to members of First Nation

Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,405 times
What a horrible racist thing to say Mooguy, "Also know that the area has a high crime rate due to the high native population" is a racist remark and COMPLETELY false! Kitimat does not have a high crime rate, check your facts! To state that the native population is responsible for crime in a town is ignorant and wrong on so many levels. What also is disturbing is that you were replying to someone who potentially may want to move here, perhaps he chose not to move here because of racist, ignorant and stupid people like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada