Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,224,255 times

Advertisements

It has nothing to do with Bush, or the US, or Iraq or being Quebecois.

It has EVERYTHING to do with having Les Habitants being whooped on by those big ol' mean Bruins.

This is the centennial season, the Canadiens should have been awarded the Cup by default according to their fans, and they are pissed that their team is playing like they did all year, the 3rd coming of St. Patrick of Roy, Carey Price is pooping the bed, and they are going to be gone from the playoffs before the week is out.

No more, no less.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,769,583 times
[quote=seamusnh;8459705]Prove it. Provide a link.

quote]

Nobody’s perfect.

A few examples of O Canada being booed in the States:

April 2002
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
Islanders NHL game(s)

April 2002
Palace at Auburn Hills, MI
Pistons NBA game

May 2006
San Jose Sharks NHL game

I’ve also been at sporting events in person in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver when thousands of Canadians have booed their own national anthem when part of it was sung in French.

BTW, I would be all for having no national anthems sung before sporting events, especially in club-based leagues.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 AM

365 posts, read 1,183,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Prove it. Provide a link.

Nice responses. Spelling. Bush. Something about babies. and some degenerate who wants to urinate on other people....
Relax man. Nobody is condoning their behavior.

As I was trying to elude in my 1st post, Montreal is Canada's sports version of Philly, with different historical, linguistical, and cultural subtleties. They have a reputation as being a 'rough crowd' especially in regards to certain political/language issues.
In Philly they boo'd Santa. In Montreal they ('they' meaning a small minority) boo any anthem sung in english...
C’est la vie as they say.

As for boorish behaviour - google booing Canadian national anthems. You'll get a few good hits.

P.S.
For Acajak and others: I like Montreal. I like Quebec. Really.
For the OP: Sorry for the behaviour of the boorish fans. It was very rude and disrespectful.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,414,463 times
It's always a bad behavior, but one has to look at the motivation. Just like flag display, which bothers me often because most people don't know how to do it right. I am the least flag-waving American you will ever meet, but I respect flags and what they mean. The most common and egregious error is to display two national flags on the same pole, one above the other. (This is only suitable etiquette to symbolize conquest. Hardly a civil way to treat an ally's flag.) The local Eagles club does this, but I know they have no idea they are insulting the Canadian flag; they probably think they are being nice, but that since this is the US, ours goes on top. I doubt they would change it if I phoned them, being typical locals, but it's not a deliberate attempt to offend. Same for the situations I've seen in BC where the US flag is below the Canadian flag on the same pole. I doubt the Canadians are trying to insult us; someone just doesn't realize what he or she is implying.

So it's quite credible that the booers at the game were just booing for some other reason than a deliberate national insult. Not that it's an excuse.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
...the 3rd coming of St. Patrick of Roy, Carey Price is pooping the bed, and they are going to be gone from the playoffs before the week is out.

No more, no less.
Sorry to hear that about Price. He's a big favorite here because this is where he played his junior hockey, like Olie Kolzig (still remembered as 'Olie the Goalie') and Stu Barnes.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post

So it's quite credible that the booers at the game were just booing for some other reason than a deliberate national insult. Not that it's an excuse.

They are bozos who probably thought booing the U.S. national anthem is equal to booing the Bruins. Their stupidity is further underlined by the fact that the majority of players on the Bruins are, as with most NHL teams, Canadians, as are the team’s coach and GM.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They are bozos who probably thought booing the U.S. national anthem is equal to booing the Bruins. Their stupidity is further underlined by the fact that the majority of players on the Bruins are, as with most NHL teams, Canadians, as are the team’s coach and GM.
Heh. Ils sont des beauzeaux.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,833,068 times
[quote=Acajack;8460062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Prove it. Provide a link.

quote]

Nobody’s perfect.

A few examples of O Canada being booed in the States:

April 2002
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
Islanders NHL game(s)

April 2002
Palace at Auburn Hills, MI
Pistons NBA game

May 2006
San Jose Sharks NHL game

I’ve also been at sporting events in person in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver when thousands of Canadians have booed their own national anthem when part of it was sung in French.

BTW, I would be all for having no national anthems sung before sporting events, especially in club-based leagues.
Any link to prove any of these claims?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 AM

[quote=seamusnh;8462638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Any link to prove any of these claims?
Though I find it somewhat silly to have to prove to you that there are boneheads everywhere, here goes. Here are the links:

ESPN.com - Page2 - Francis Scott Key do's-and-don'ts

Fans' booing of Canada's anthem causes waves | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET

As for the others in Canada (when O Canada was booed when part of it was sung in French), I don't have any links but I was there. One was at an Ottawa Rough Riders CFL football game at Lansdowne Park. Another was at the Grey Cup CFL championship game at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver in 1990. And the other was at a Toronto Blue Jays game at SkyDome. George Bush Sr. was actually there and threw out the first pitch.

Could you please provide us with proof now that it snows in most of New Hampshire in the winter?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,224,255 times
Although it seems like feeding the troll, at least the Habs had the US flag pointing the right way up, unlike the US Marines were able to do in the '92 world series with the Canadian flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada