Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

I mean considering most Canadians live basically within walking distance of the US border, isn't it kind of pointless to say, call Vancouver "southwestern Canada"?

I think most Canadians would see it as the western terminus, and subconsciously view Canada as a strip country like Chile (just guessing).

The concept of a Southern Canada would probably only make sense to people in Yellowknife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 AM

84 posts, read 303,067 times
There really isn't such a thing. We define Canada in terms of 6 general regions: BC, Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes, North.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
But there is Southern Alberta, which is definitely more Cowboyish.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:26 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Geographically I would define Southern CND as any territory South of 50°NLatitude, which includes by the way 70% (more or less) of the country's population.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
My boyfriend, who lives in a suburb of Vancouver, calls the entire area the "PNW". I suppose, since his term basically describes the northwest US, calling it "southwestern Canada" would probably be more accurate.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Perhaps 'Southern Canada' is a part of the country in which stubborn people dream of a romanticized past...where education is lax, where folks drive battered pickup trucks, shoot at road signs, live in mobile homes, and fly their own controversial flag. But I doubt it. I've never heard the term "Southern Canada" used, with the POSSIBLE exception of that part of 'peninsular' Ontario between the Great Lakes..and THEN, as I recall, it was from an American perspective..i.e., "Michigan, Ohio, and nearby Southern Canada".

But no, other than that, I've never heard it used.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:48 PM

31 posts, read 123,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
There really isn't such a thing. We define Canada in terms of 6 general regions: BC, Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes, North.
What about Newfoundland and Labrador? Or are we lumped in with the Maritimes?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
Exactly.

You can't take American concepts like "the south" or "the north" and apply it to Canada.

You're right, due to historical settlement patterns and trade routes (in addition to climate/geography reasons), the majority of Canada's population is situated closer to the American border than to regions further north. But there isn't a North-South sense of regionalism. Saying that, there is definitely an "East West" dichotomy.

"The West" typically refers to BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

But then you also have "the Prairies" which just refers to Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

People in the west refer to Quebec and Ontario as "The East" even though they're really "Central Canada".

"The Maritimes", "Atlantic Canada" "the Atlantic Provinces" or "the East Coast" usually refers to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador.

"The North", "Northern Canada" or "the territories" refers to Canada's territories - the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

Now it's not unusual for the small percentage of Canada's population who do live in the northern territories to refer to Canada outside of the territories as "the south" or "southern Canada".

Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
The only time you would describe the lower mainland as southwest would be in placing it in B.C.

Vancouver is in SW BC, as opposed to the Okanagan Valley or the Kootenays.

Those distinctions are usually for non-canadians though, to define where Vancouver is located on a map, not as a region description.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewars View Post
What about Newfoundland and Labrador? Or are we lumped in with the Maritimes?
It would be considered Atlantic Canada but not so much Maritimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada