Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

I have a week's vacation the last week of August and would like to drive up from the US to Nova Scotia and maybe Prince Edward Island, however, I hate crowded highways and am wondering if waiting and going some other time might be better to avoid big tourist crowds.
Can anyone from the area tell me how bad it is at that time and what might be a better time to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
The last week of August may show a slighlty increased tourist activity with children (mostly beaches), however, the "increased activity" here is a leisurely happening comparing to the US highways and attractions.

That's the best time to visit. Warm days, the ocean is finally warm, too, and no biting insects.

Last edited by nuala; 04-27-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have a week's vacation the last week of August and would like to drive up from the US to Nova Scotia and maybe Prince Edward Island, however, I hate crowded highways and am wondering if waiting and going some other time might be better to avoid big tourist crowds.
Can anyone from the area tell me how bad it is at that time and what might be a better time to go?

Traffic here, even in peak season, is pretty minimal - you just don't see the highways clogged like you do, say, around Cape Cod.

Where are you driving from? A week isn't very long . . .
Are you bringing children? If you provide a little more info I could give you some really good ideas on what to see, where to go, etc.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-27-2009 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Traffic here, even in peak season, is pretty minimal - you just don't see the highways clogged like you do, say, around Cape Cod.

Where are you driving from? A week isn't very long . . .
Are you bringing children? If you provide a little more info I could give you some really good ideas on what to see, where to go, etc.
Just me and the wife. I'll be driving in a rental car up from Boston, Mass after a brief visit with relatives, if I decide to go, which is more likely since you say traffic isn't bad on the highways there at that time. I am not so much interested in beaches as I am rocky coastlines, cliffs and other rugged terrain.

Last edited by kanhawk; 04-27-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Just me and the wife. I'll be driving in a rental car up from Boston, Mass after a brief visit with relatives, if I decide to go, which is more likely since you say traffic isn't bad on the highways there at that time. I am not so much interested in beaches as I am rocky coastlines, cliffs and other rugged terrain.
Just check and make sure that your rental car agreement allows you to cross the border with the car. Many don't allow it, many do. Wouldn't want to have a vacation ruined because of something trivial like that.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 AM

44 posts, read 297,679 times
Did you know that theres a ferry between Boston and Yarmouth, NS?
Yes, August is busy, but the weather is also the best. Even in August you will need heavy sweaters in Cape Breton at night.
For Rocky coasts - see Peggys Cove (stay back from the waves - every year a tourist gets sucked out by a rogue wave - 80% of the time they don't get back), and Cape Breton. Fortress of Louisburg is a very nice historical recreation using original buildings - a very cold and damp place too. PEI is quite pretty and rural too - but flat with red sand.
If you go to Duncan's Cove (near Peggys) there's a lot less traffic - some times of the year you can just see whales from the shore - but I'm not sure about August - anyone else know? The whale watching tours from the north tip of Cape Breton are the best though.
The worst for congestion is Charlottetown in PEI because it has few major street - and it can be bumper to bumper. Next worse is Peggys Cover which is nuts in summer - but as I said - try Duncans - it is just a point jutting out into the ocean anyhow. Halifax is a big city, so busy all year long - no different in August. The major highways flow pretty well most of the time.
You could go in late September, early October when the fall colours are gearing up in Cape Breton - but it will be much colder - you will want a fall coat, and don't be surprised if many tourist attractions and restaurants are closed for the season. I don't think the hotel rates will be significantly cheaper either. Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like a good time to go and I think I'll make plans to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada