Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Ottawa black people are spread throughout the city, and no area of the city is really considered to be predominantly black.

The exceptions to the "even spread" would be the Somali community, who are concentrated in Herongate in south east Ottawa, Bayshore and the west end, and a few other areas. Unfortunately, these tend to be the least well off parts of the city.

Another possible exception would be blacks of more francophone origin (Haitians, Congolese, Senegalese, etc.), who tend to be concentrated in and around the Vanier area in the inner east end.

But once again, in no cases would the black populations make up majority in these neighbourhoods of Ottawa.

Across the river, in Gatineau, Quebec, black people are also spread all across the city. Perhaps even moreso than Ottawa. I live in an upper middle-class part of Gatineau and about 10% of the people on my street are black.

The vast majority of black residents of Gatineau are either Haitians or people from French-speaking African countries (Congo, Senegal, Rwanda, Benin, Togo, etc.).
In regards to Gatineau, wouldn't the part that was Hull have more than the other parts of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In regards to Gatineau, wouldn't the part that was Hull have more than the other parts of the city?
Not necessarily that many more than there are in the former city of Aylmer or the former city of Gatineau (which is where my street is located, incidentally).

Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,659 times
Since you’re looking for specific areas...

The commercial "heart" of Toronto's black community runs along Eglinton West between Marlee Rd. through to Keele St./Trethewy Rd.

You'll find lot's of restaurants, barber shops, beauty salons, bakeries, record stores, credit unions, clothing stores etc. along this stretch of Eglinton.

The highest concentration of black-owned/focused businesses is on the southside of Eglinton just west of Oakwood Ave. and the "hill" between Glenhaven St. to Trethewy.

Outside this strip - commercial retail is spread out pretty piecemeal across the city.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times
i know Windsor in general does, from being so close to downtown Detroit.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 574,933 times
Highly educated and well paid blacks - Mississauga
In between blacks - Brampton
Poor blacks/Recent immigrants - North Etobicoke/NW Toronto (Jane/finch)/Regent park and Scarborough

*Smaller cities like Hamilton, Waterloo, London also have blacks doing ok with the exception of Windsor which is heavily influenced by Detroit.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan5576 View Post
Highly educated and well paid blacks - Mississauga
In between blacks - Brampton
Poor blacks/Recent immigrants - North Etobicoke/NW Toronto (Jane/finch)/Regent park and Scarborough

*Smaller cities like Hamilton, Waterloo, London also have blacks doing ok with the exception of Windsor which is heavily influenced by Detroit.
Interesting and I can see that. Scarborough or "Scar City" as some there call it, is another place that comes off as a more Blue collar community. Same with Etobicoke. What about Ajax and Pickering, which also have high Black percentages?

Isn't Hamilton called the Pittsburgh of Canada due to the Steel industry there? Windsor is the Detroit of Canada and there is a long history and connection between the Black communities there. Same with other SW Ontario communities like Amherstburg, Chatham, Dresden, North Buxton and a few others. Can't forget St. Catherines, Welland, Niagara Falls and Fort Erie too.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and I can see that. Scarborough or "Scar City" as some there call it, is another place that comes off as a more Blue collar community. Same with Etobicoke. What about Ajax and Pickering, which also have high Black percentages?

Isn't Hamilton called the Pittsburgh of Canada due to the Steel industry there? Windsor is the Detroit of Canada and there is a long history and connection between the Black communities there. Same with other SW Ontario communities like Amherstburg, Chatham, Dresden, North Buxton and a few others. Can't forget St. Catherines, Welland, Niagara Falls and Fort Erie too.
Old slang talks for the Toronto headz:
Scarborough aka "Scarlem".

Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Old slang talks for the Toronto headz:
Scarborough aka "Scarlem".
Scarberia as well, I believe.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM

27 posts, read 160,018 times
Hi CKHTHANKGOD,

Just have a quick question, by any chance, are you doing a research regarding the population of black people in Canada? It seems that you would like to know where the concentration of Black people are in each of the Canadian Provinces. There are so many different kinds of black people, some are from American Blacks, some are from Somalia, Ethiopia, West Africa, etc...Also, the Carribean (such as St. Lucia, Trinidad...) Some of the Indian from India, are also look like Black, too...

Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
Hi CKHTHANKGOD,

Just have a quick question, by any chance, are you doing a research regarding the population of black people in Canada? It seems that you would like to know where the concentration of Black people are in each of the Canadian Provinces. There are so many different kinds of black people, some are from American Blacks, some are from Somalia, Ethiopia, West Africa, etc...Also, the Carribean (such as St. Lucia, Trinidad...) Some of the Indian from India, are also look like Black, too...
No, I'm just interested in how the Black populations in cities and towns in Canada live in terms of patterns. I know about the diverse black population there and the varied history too.

I think the reason I became interested is when I was in college, I took a Canadian Politics class at SUNY-Oswego. I had a project in that class that was pertaining to Nova Scotia. What surprised me at the time was how long the Black community has been there and where the descendants of that Black community came from. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm related to some of the Black people in Nova Scotia due to where my mother comes from(South Carolina, a state where many came from).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada