Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,353,706 times

Advertisements

Manitoba doesn't have a high black population but it does have a black population. I'm not sure why you're asking but I'll tell you what I know. My sister married a black man from Jamaica and they have children. As far as I know, there is no 'area' in which blacks live at a higher proportion than other nationalities. The kids go to a private school, they live in a typical middle-class neighbourhood and are typical kids who have typical friends of several races. Race (at least as far as the black race is concerned) hasn't been much of a factor.

One of our long-time friends was a black immigrant from New Jersey, a Harvard grad, who lived in an upscale neighbourhood. So as far as I can tell there isn't a specifically black neighbourhood.

If you have concerns about racism, there will always be a few nuts everywhere you go but generally, in cities like Winnipeg, or in Saskatchewan, racism is directed at First Nations. That is Canada's shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 AM

157 posts, read 575,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
I agree that the Airlie area is pretty run down and it is unfortunate because it would be interesting to have a healthy and well established carribean population with business's and local cultural landmark. Some of the empty lots should be filled with more appartment buildings, nicer ones, that would densify the neighborhood and help the business's. Of course i would also add a police station right in there to bring some safety back.
There is still a Caribbean restaurant in a small strip mall on Airlie, and there's also a Mexican restaurant, too. It would be wonderful if the street could be revitalized. I have to go into Lachine to shop for groceries now.

The last time I drove down Airlie with a friend, a week or so ago, sure enough, there was a cop car pulling up in front of one of those apartment buildings!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Pierrefonds too?
I grew up in Roxboro (now the borough of Pierrefonds-Roxboro) and there were hardly any black people around back in the 70s. There were only a handful of black students at the high school I attended back then.

From what I understand, it's true that Pierrefonds is now home to many black families.

In a little while, I'll look on the City of Montreal's site and try to find the demographics for Pierrefonds-Roxboro.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Toronto - Alexandra Park Neighbourhood..

Alexandra Park, Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alexandra Park is often known for having one of the largest African-Canadian communities in Toronto, people of African-American ancestry are still evident in this neighbourhood. In the ‘70s and ‘80s, there were racial tensions between the established Polish and Ukrainian immigrants and the new immigrants. An infamous African-Canadian gang called the Project Originals emerged. Drugs and violence were a huge problem, during this time a crack epidemic swept the area. In the early ‘90s, a group of Alexandra Park residents sought to convert the government housing complex to self-governing co-operative housing, in order to attempt to make a difference in the struggling community in an effort to stop the opression and drug wars the project had been facing for many decades previous. Today Alexandra Park is recovering from its harsh battles in the past, and making an effort to turn a new leaf. The Black population is amongst one of the highest in the city, at 23.6%
I have never heard of this area, either. I have heard about the Jane/Finch area, though.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM

93,806 posts, read 124,527,296 times
I wish I could check this video out, because it could give a good idea of such neighborhoods in Canadian cities: seekingsalvation.ca (http://www.seekingsalvation.ca/new/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM

110 posts, read 621,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaugusta View Post
There is still a Caribbean restaurant in a small strip mall on Airlie, and there's also a Mexican restaurant, too. It would be wonderful if the street could be revitalized. I have to go into Lachine to shop for groceries now.

The last time I drove down Airlie with a friend, a week or so ago, sure enough, there was a cop car pulling up in front of one of those apartment buildings!
I don't know if it will last or will pick up from what it is now but some stores and carribeans restaurants can be found on Lafleur street, next to the Sami fruits grocery stores. I have been to one Trinidad restaurant and it was nice althought not many people but there seem to be doing OK. The same for the Jamaican restaurants and others small shops in that strip.

Behind that strip there is a project (Des Oblats street) and i just helped my friend and his family to move there in order to have access to a nice size appartment for a low housing rental.

They are from Senegal and there's 6 of them. It will be interesting to have these new residents who are from Africa and speak only wolof and french melting with some caribeans who mainly speaks english.

This is what Montreal is all about..........

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,960 times
Halifax has many All-Black suburbs and even some areas in Halifax: North Preston 80% Black (pop 1,250), Uniacke Square 40% Black (pop 1,000), East Preston 60% Black (pop 1,000), North Dartmouth 15% Black (pop 30,000) Toronto: Ajax 20% Black (pop 100,000), Driftwood 30% Black (pop 30,000), Jane-Finch (Elia,University Heights, etc) 25% Black (pop 60,000), Rexdale 20% Black (pop 65,000) Charlottetown: The Bog (westend) 10% (pop 5,000) Hamilton: North End 10% (pop 15,000) Montreal: Little Burgundy 30% Black (pop. 15,000) , NDG 20-30% Black (pop 160,000) Chatham-Kent: Buxton Settlement 40% Black (pop. 300) {once was 100% black}

Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 67,224 times
According to the 2006 Canadian Census tract profiles these were some areas with high black percentages in Toronto.
- The Jamestown/Oprington area in Rexdale is 47% black
- The Black Creek-Trethewey area is 45% black
- The Driftwood/Shoreham area in Jane & Finch is 42% black
- The Scarlettwood Court area in Etobicoke is 41% black
- The Driftwood-Grandravine area in Jane & Finch is 40% black
- The Tobermory area in Jane & Finch is 39% black
- The Empringham area in Malvern is 38% black
- The Islington-Tandridge area in Rexdale is 38% black
- The San Romanoway area in Jane & Finch is 37% black
- The MountDennis area in York is 37% black
- The Markbrook Lane area in Rexdale is 37% black
- The North Weston-Lawrence area in York is 35% black
- The Kingston-Galloway area in Scarborough is 34% black
- The Danforth-Savarin area in Scarborough is 34% black
- The Jane-Weston area in York is 33% black
- The Jane-Queens Drive area is 33% black
- The Gosford area in Jane & Finch is 33% black
- The Keele-Eglinton area in York is 32% black
- The Dean Park area in Scarborough is 32% black
- The John Tabor Trail area in Malvern is 32% black
- The South Weston/Jane-Lawrence in area in York is 32% black
- The Jane-Falstaff area is 31% black
- The Grassways/Eddystone area in Jane & Finch is 31% black
- The Silverstone-Finch area in Rexdale is 30% black

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM

93,806 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Thanks, Blacman and black-creek. That's more of what I was getting at. I knew about Halifax, Montreal and Toronto, as well as SW Ontario and other Maritime towns and cites, but I wasn't sure about the percentages of certain communities or neighborhoods. I think people "sleep" on cities like St. John's NB, Ottawa, Windsor and some neighborhoods in the major cities out West.

Also, Blacman, what about Cherrybrook and Hammonds Plains in the Halifax area?
Same with Amherstburg, Harrow, Dresden, St. Catharines, Welland, Niagara Falls, London, Guelph, Owen Sound and Fort Erie in Ontario? Or even Sherbrooke in Quebec?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,861,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks, Blacman and black-creek. That's more of what I was getting at. I knew about Halifax, Montreal and Toronto, as well as SW Ontario and other Maritime towns and cites, but I wasn't sure about the percentages of certain communities or neighborhoods. I think people "sleep" on cities like St. John's NB, Ottawa, Windsor and some neighborhoods in the major cities out West.

Also, Blacman, what about Cherrybrook and Hammonds Plains in the Halifax area?
Same with Amherstburg, Harrow, Dresden, St. Catharines, Welland, Niagara Falls, London, Guelph, Owen Sound and Fort Erie in Ontario? Or even Sherbrooke in Quebec?
Also there are remote communities in Sarnia ON, Edmonton AB, and even Charlottetown PEI, and Moncton NB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada