Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Also there are remote communities in Sarnia ON, Edmonton AB, and even Charlottetown PEI, and Moncton NB.
Yes, very true. I think there are some other remote communities in Saskatchewan, Alberta and maybe even a couple in British Columbia too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM

157 posts, read 574,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
I don't know if it will last or will pick up from what it is now but some stores and carribeans restaurants can be found on Lafleur street, next to the Sami fruits grocery stores. I have been to one Trinidad restaurant and it was nice althought not many people but there seem to be doing OK. The same for the Jamaican restaurants and others small shops in that strip.

Behind that strip there is a project (Des Oblats street) and i just helped my friend and his family to move there in order to have access to a nice size appartment for a low housing rental.

They are from Senegal and there's 6 of them. It will be interesting to have these new residents who are from Africa and speak only wolof and french melting with some caribeans who mainly speaks english.

This is what Montreal is all about..........
Variety is the spice of life.

I don't live too far from Sami's fruits and des Oblats, where the low-cost housing units are. The lawns surrounding those buildings are immaculate, especially compared to the street I live on.

I walked to Sami's Fruits one morning and it was closed...I hadn't realized that it's closed on Tuesdays. I'll have to visit again on another weekday morning!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 PM

110 posts, read 620,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaugusta View Post
Variety is the spice of life.
Well, my senegalese friends have been living there for a little more than two months now and while they do enjoy the low rent, the nice lawns and the quietness they are disapointed at the fact that too many people dont speak french, certains stores, on the streets and even a ''garderie''.

So they will be looking for something else eventually as they would like to in an environment which is friendlier to francophones.

I have to agree with them on that. Everytime i enter one of the restaurant, little convenient store etc... people have a hard time putting two french words together. If they want to appear to a broader crowd, the jamaicain and trinidadian restaurant will have to respect and learn some french. Otherwise they will stick within their own community.

So many stores have closed on Airlie Street that i am beginning to think people dont like to go there at all not only because the area is relatively unsafe but the attitude of the people is somewhat closed minded.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks, Blacman and black-creek. That's more of what I was getting at. I knew about Halifax, Montreal and Toronto, as well as SW Ontario and other Maritime towns and cites, but I wasn't sure about the percentages of certain communities or neighborhoods. I think people "sleep" on cities like St. John's NB, Ottawa, Windsor and some neighborhoods in the major cities out West.

Also, Blacman, what about Cherrybrook and Hammonds Plains in the Halifax area?
Same with Amherstburg, Harrow, Dresden, St. Catharines, Welland, Niagara Falls, London, Guelph, Owen Sound and Fort Erie in Ontario? Or even Sherbrooke in Quebec?
I understand where you're coming from and i apologize for the late reply. I've been taking a keen interest in black communities in Canada. now to answer the question.. Cherrybrook is not more than 1/3rd black. Infact if you look at the electoral riding in nova scotia of Preston it consists of NP, EP, Preston(general) and Cherry Brook but only 1/3rd of its population is black? The numbers dont really add up, but i can say Cherry Brook once had a historically high black population of what the Prestons is today of around 70%.

Take into account many historic blacks in southern Ontario have mixed with the local Irish population over the years and many 'pass' as not listing black as their race because they feel a stronger attachment to being Canadian. so on the statistics when they say unknown or other that could easily be a black person.. Amherstburg doesn't have a REAL black population,(400 out of 21,000) I visited a black history museum there just on Saturday. you can read a book called Black settlement along the Grand River i believe it's called, which i got from the Brantford Library. I was born in Brantford, Ontario (now live in Brampton) a city with a population exceeding just 90 thousand and am black, from what i know all the blacks from Brantford in the early 1900's where pushed into a place called Queen's Bush because the early black population was 'sturring up trouble', theirs still a church here that continues to function and has a black clergy. Drake Memorial Church.

A huge chunk of Windsor's black population are commuters from Detroit who enjoy benefits from living in Canada while retaining jobs across the border (my uncle does just that).

For more information on black communities in Nova Scotia it's important you go to the Black Cultural Center in Cherry Brook. They have computerized info on just about every black person who ever lived in Nova Scotia, it's amazing. Another all-black community in NS i know of is Lincolnville, it was in the news recently, almost 200 people and a decreasing population, they have a recreation center and a few basketball nets. Unfortunately it's hard to find info on black communities near Halifax because it's all a part of the Halifax Regional Municipality so individual statistics are hard to find. GreenVille
theres a map of rural black communities with geographic and names..

Back to Ontario, a county named Grey's county in central-north Ontario is said to be established by black people. Recently some community members dug up a forgotten graveyard that some greedy farmer got rid of to turn it into a farm.

Alberta had many black communities; Amber Valley, Keystone, Junkins, Campsie, etc.. most of these settlements where abandoned in the 60's when farming was out and many people moved to the big cities to get jobs in the service and manufacturing industries. Currently the small city of Brooks, Alberta (not a suburb, infact 100km away from any city with a sizeable population) has a black population of just over 10%

Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacman View Post
I understand where you're coming from and i apologize for the late reply. I've been taking a keen interest in black communities in Canada. now to answer the question.. Cherrybrook is not more than 1/3rd black. Infact if you look at the electoral riding in nova scotia of Preston it consists of NP, EP, Preston(general) and Cherry Brook but only 1/3rd of its population is black? The numbers dont really add up, but i can say Cherry Brook once had a historically high black population of what the Prestons is today of around 70%.

Take into account many historic blacks in southern Ontario have mixed with the local Irish population over the years and many 'pass' as not listing black as their race because they feel a stronger attachment to being Canadian. so on the statistics when they say unknown or other that could easily be a black person.. Amherstburg doesn't have a REAL black population,(400 out of 21,000) I visited a black history museum there just on Saturday. you can read a book called Black settlement along the Grand River i believe it's called, which i got from the Brantford Library. I was born in Brantford, Ontario (now live in Brampton) a city with a population exceeding just 90 thousand and am black, from what i know all the blacks from Brantford in the early 1900's where pushed into a place called Queen's Bush because the early black population was 'sturring up trouble', theirs still a church here that continues to function and has a black clergy. Drake Memorial Church.

A huge chunk of Windsor's black population are commuters from Detroit who enjoy benefits from living in Canada while retaining jobs across the border (my uncle does just that).

For more information on black communities in Nova Scotia it's important you go to the Black Cultural Center in Cherry Brook. They have computerized info on just about every black person who ever lived in Nova Scotia, it's amazing. Another all-black community in NS i know of is Lincolnville, it was in the news recently, almost 200 people and a decreasing population, they have a recreation center and a few basketball nets. Unfortunately it's hard to find info on black communities near Halifax because it's all a part of the Halifax Regional Municipality so individual statistics are hard to find. GreenVille
theres a map of rural black communities with geographic and names..

Back to Ontario, a county named Grey's county in central-north Ontario is said to be established by black people. Recently some community members dug up a forgotten graveyard that some greedy farmer got rid of to turn it into a farm.

Alberta had many black communities; Amber Valley, Keystone, Junkins, Campsie, etc.. most of these settlements where abandoned in the 60's when farming was out and many people moved to the big cities to get jobs in the service and manufacturing industries. Currently the small city of Brooks, Alberta (not a suburb, infact 100km away from any city with a sizeable population) has a black population of just over 10%
Great information!!!

I found out with Brooks, that there are refugees there and I'm guessing that many of the Black people there are from Africa.

I found some information on Drake Memorial Church and noticed that a former slave from Kentucky donated the land there. It is interesting how the escaped slaves wnet by British Methodist Episcopal, eventhough it is more like the African Methodist Episcopal churches here in the US. Brant FreeNet: S.R. Drake Memorial Church (Brantford, ON)

Do you know if many of the Black people there still have ties to escaped slaves from the US? I think there are more that have that connection than people give credit for, as many went back to the States steadily after the Civil War, but still had family in Canada.

I also saw the documentary abou8t the Black cemetary that a farmer converted into farm land and the discovery of a former Black communitiy in Grey's County. I did see how a woman found out that she descended form a man from that community, eventhough she went through life as White.

Also, I've found out that many Black folks from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick would move to New England states like Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I believe that former college basketball coach, Mike Jarvis, descends from Black Nova Scotians, as many that moved to the State moved to Cambridge Massachusetts and that is where he is from. Also, surnames like Jarvis and Cromwell are common in NS and in Cambridge, as I found from doing research and looking at a 1920 US census for that city. Mike Jarvis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amazon.com: Black Bangor: African Americans in a Maine Community, 1880-1950 (Revisiting New England) (9781584654995): Maureen Lee: Books

As for Cherrybrook, while it doesn't the the higher Black percentage that it used to, 33% for a community in Canada is still very high, considering that blacks make up about 2.5-3% of the population.

Amherstburg probably lost a good deal of their black community to the Detroit/Windsor areas. They still have a black mayor though in Wayne Hurst. Video: A 'smart investment' in Amherstburg (http://www.windsorstar.com/Video+smart+investment+Amherstburg/1960383/story.html - broken link)

I believe that Sandwich and Essex still have small, but noticeable Black communities too. Chatham and Dresden more so.

Lincolnville also was in the news due to the proposal of putting a landfill there. This is an issue that also plagues Black communities in the US and it is interesting to see that some of the same issues are effecting Black communities in Canada as well. Race and Waste in Nova Scotia: Accusations of 'environmental racism' take centre stage during fight against new landfill development | The Dominion
It is a part of Guysborough, which is an area of NS that has a relative big Black community. I found an interesting documentary on rural life in that area of youtube called 7 shades of pale:
YouTube - Seven Shades Of Pale 1975 (PT 1 of 3)

I can't forget a neighborhood like "The Bog" in Charlottestown PEI, and communities in New Brunswick cities either, especially around Fredricton and St. John's.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 17,916 times
In Brantford from what I know, most of the people where from the Islands. I was reading a book in the Brampton library and it stated that many indigenous blacks mixed with the 'west indian population'. Today the majority of Brantford's black population are from the Islands and a few from Africa, Whats interesting is Brantford had a HUGE population of mixed race kids when I was in high-school. They generally associated with the white kids but I'm sure some must have had indigenous roots.

Take into account that Black Canadians are NINE TIMES more likely than either Chinese or South Asian Canadians (the two largest minorities, Blacks being third) to be mixed with white. Also, Black Canadians are the least likely to live in segregated neighbourhoods. Infact this StatCan article makes a contrast that wealthy Blacks in America often move to other middle/high income Black neighbourhoods. While in Canada as education increase Blacks move to more white neighbourhoods. Source: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11f0019...003206-eng.pdf

This has a partial list of Black communities in Canada. It seems the list was updated recently to include a few more places...
Category:Black Canadian settlements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This travel agency offers a Nova Scotia Black History Tour, might be something of interest to you... Nova Scotia Black History Tour

Another thing to take into account is unlike in America where to have a 30% Black population is not out of the wack. In Ontario the most famous and notorious Black community is that of Jane and Finch, and the black population account for less than 30%. In the north-west end of Brampton an Area called Mount Pleasant is known as the all black community though the census records show it has a 23% Black population Mount Pleasant, Brampton, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not impossible that this Jarvis fellow has roots in Canada. However, to judge solely on last name is not fully accurate either. The popular last names of indigenous Black's are easily amongst the top 500 most popular last names in America. However, as many families in America have southern families, some even have northern families. Check out this blog by a guy from America who attended a marraige in North Preston, Nova Scotia. North Preston: How they do...

The Prestons' black population in general (all the towns) is decreasing, Halifax's population is increasing and they need more space so people are moving farther and farther into the rural areas.

Nice, i never knew they had a black mayor but i heard of large town in Quebec that had 0 visible minorities and elected a Black mayor of Hatian descent.

Indeed, I saw the video some time back but watched it again to renew my memories. Most of the younger black population from Nova Scotia as i mentioned are leaving either to Halifax or Ontario. My first that i met, Black Nova Scotian was a co-worker at my mother's work as a child. She grew up in British Columbia and I remember hearing her story of white people throwing hot coffee at her face in the West. Since, the only run-in I've had was with an middle aged man in a North York mall who had a Nova Scotia license plate.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacman View Post
In Brantford from what I know, most of the people where from the Islands. I was reading a book in the Brampton library and it stated that many indigenous blacks mixed with the 'west indian population'. Today the majority of Brantford's black population are from the Islands and a few from Africa, Whats interesting is Brantford had a HUGE population of mixed race kids when I was in high-school. They generally associated with the white kids but I'm sure some must have had indigenous roots.

Take into account that Black Canadians are NINE TIMES more likely than either Chinese or South Asian Canadians (the two largest minorities, Blacks being third) to be mixed with white. Also, Black Canadians are the least likely to live in segregated neighbourhoods. Infact this StatCan article makes a contrast that wealthy Blacks in America often move to other middle/high income Black neighbourhoods. While in Canada as education increase Blacks move to more white neighbourhoods. Source: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11f0019...003206-eng.pdf

This has a partial list of Black communities in Canada. It seems the list was updated recently to include a few more places...
Category:Black Canadian settlements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This travel agency offers a Nova Scotia Black History Tour, might be something of interest to you... Nova Scotia Black History Tour

Another thing to take into account is unlike in America where to have a 30% Black population is not out of the wack. In Ontario the most famous and notorious Black community is that of Jane and Finch, and the black population account for less than 30%. In the north-west end of Brampton an Area called Mount Pleasant is known as the all black community though the census records show it has a 23% Black population Mount Pleasant, Brampton, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not impossible that this Jarvis fellow has roots in Canada. However, to judge solely on last name is not fully accurate either. The popular last names of indigenous Black's are easily amongst the top 500 most popular last names in America. However, as many families in America have southern families, some even have northern families. Check out this blog by a guy from America who attended a marraige in North Preston, Nova Scotia. North Preston: How they do...

The Prestons' black population in general (all the towns) is decreasing, Halifax's population is increasing and they need more space so people are moving farther and farther into the rural areas.

Nice, i never knew they had a black mayor but i heard of large town in Quebec that had 0 visible minorities and elected a Black mayor of Hatian descent.

Indeed, I saw the video some time back but watched it again to renew my memories. Most of the younger black population from Nova Scotia as i mentioned are leaving either to Halifax or Ontario. My first that i met, Black Nova Scotian was a co-worker at my mother's work as a child. She grew up in British Columbia and I remember hearing her story of white people throwing hot coffee at her face in the West. Since, the only run-in I've had was with an middle aged man in a North York mall who had a Nova Scotia license plate.
Actually, I got the thought from looking at a census and finding out that there were Jarvis' that lived in Cambridge in 1920 that came originally from Canada. Looking at the website on Greenville NS, it is in Southern NS and is the closest point to Boston/New England states.

Also, I read that Black Canadians are more assimilated than other groups of color in Canada. I think a lot of that could be due to the migration patterns of Blacks there and aspects like education, as well as the urbanization of Black folks there.

I also know that quite few Black Canadians come to the states as well. Here's some examples:
Rocky Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (The Rock's father)
Sam Langford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (you notice that he lived in Cambridge MA and was from southern Nova Scotia too)
Ferguson Jenkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Willie O'Ree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aaron Albert Mossell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nathan Francis Mossell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mary Matilda Winslow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Elijah McCoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
William Harvey Golar
Dirk Graham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vanity (performer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tony McKegney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rae Dawn Chong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
among others

Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 AM

24 posts, read 87,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
No, most, especially the big haitian community, is in the NE. In Montreal-Nord, St-Michel and RDP. While in the west (NDG, CDN and Little burgundy) it is mostly small pockets here and there.
Isn't there a fairly large black community in Ahuntsic as well?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I am hearing some mention about Black Canadians and Nova Scotia comes up alot. Of all of the the mention, I am surprised I am not hearing more about Africville. I've got some clips about it.

YouTube - ‪AFRICVILLE Nova Scotia -Clip 1‬‏

YouTube - ‪AFRICVILLE Nova Scotia -Clip 2‬‏

Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Got something else to check out too:
YouTube - ‪Willie O'Ree - First Black NHL Player‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada