Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan... I live in Fredericton, NB. I am looking to move to Fort McMurray to make some money and pay down student loans and what have you. I've lived in Fredericton my entire life. I'm a third year student at St. Thomas University. The problem here is the lack of work and the increasing taxes, living expenses and so on. Student debt is on the rise. I can't afford to take another loan to finish my last year of school until I can pay back some of the $30K I already owe.

I'm looking for two piece of information from anyone that currently lives or has lived in that area.

First, is there a good website or employment agency I can inquire about to find work. Second, just from a few google searches it looks like housing is pretty scarce... is there some sort of public forum that people post bedroom apartments, or something for a decent price. My goal is to make some money, not to increase my debt load.

I don't have family or really any knowledge of the western provinces, as I've ever been any further west than Barrie, Ontario.

I have plenty of experience in customer service, I worked as a computer tech at my local staples for 3 years, I parade with my local military reserve unit, and other odds and ends.

I'd really be coming out there on a whim... any and all information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,854 times
Fort McMurray is expensive and cold but is a great place to raise a family. The only thing I can recommend to you is to secure a job beforehand, there are lots of people who end up on the street because they think the jobs are handed out by the handful. They are not. It is very competitive and with the type of experience you have you should be certain of a position.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,274 times
Like LightningGurl said, make sure you have a decent job and especially a place to stay before you get here. As far as Maritimers moving to AB, don't worry, you're not the first and you won't be the last. Most seem to move here en masse with the whole family though... You're just joining the great diaspora of economic refugees from east to west and you'll meet many people here in your situation from your part of the world. People in AB are generally friendly to all newcomers but you'll have to endure a few off-colour jokes about your province... Heck, if it wasn't for you guys moving out west we would need to bring in Mexicans to clean our toilets and pour a double-double... (kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada