Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times

Advertisements

generally don't have a "Black" accent?

I think most US Americans know what accent is meant. I'm not talking about Carribean or African accents, but rather a US Black accent, which I'm aware is not uniform, but does share certain recognizable characteristics.

Regards

Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,537 times
Why would Black Canadians have an American-anything accent?
You wouldn't ask the same question about White Canadians would you?
Many Black Canadians, especially those born and raised here, would presumably have "Canadian accents". Just like Black Britons have British accents. America is does not set the universal standard for English dialect.

You are correct in assuming you'll find many different accents within the Black Canadian community due to the relative recent arrival of most people.
However, with many Canadian born Blacks in Toronto, you will often hear a strong West Indian influence. Much like many Black Brits speak with English accents influenced largely with West Indian phrases and patterns.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
In addition you also have African Canadians in Nova Scotia that have a distinct accent of their own. People of African decent in many areas of Nova Scotia are decedents of Southern African Americans and do have somewhat of a drawl to their accent similar to people in the Upper Southeastern states (not completely the same, but you can hear the influence).

There is just one accent that I cannot stand though and it is the Toronto-Black-Caribbean mixed accent, you know the "Yo Guy, differently stylll" accent. You can tell that these kids are trying really hard to speak with a West Indian accent, but just cannot pull it off. Being Jamaican myself I find it very annoying

Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 32,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post

I think most US Americans know what accent is meant. I'm not talking about Carribean or African accents, but rather a US Black accent, which I'm aware is not uniform, but does share certain recognizable characteristics.

Regards
Neutre, what is it you are looking to find out? Blacks that are French, Dutch, Italian, etc., all having an accent that are distinctive to the country that they are in. American Blacks, have a much different history than most Canadian Blacks (or other Blacks) so although we (Canadians) share borders we have a different history.

Tell me, what is the "recognizable characteristics" you are are referring to?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
In addition you also have African Canadians in Nova Scotia that have a distinct accent of their own. People of African decent in many areas of Nova Scotia are decedents of Southern African Americans and do have somewhat of a drawl to their accent similar to people in the Upper Southeastern states (not completely the same, but you can hear the influence).

There is just one accent that I cannot stand though and it is the Toronto-Black-Caribbean mixed accent, you know the "Yo Guy, differently stylll" accent. You can tell that these kids are trying really hard to speak with a West Indian accent, but just cannot pull it off. Being Jamaican myself I find it very annoying
Yo guy! Guy this!, Guy that! Guy at the begining and end of every sentence! Haha! You couldn't escape guy back in the '90s.
You know what they say about guy? guy live on ship &...!
Nowadays the real talks is all bredren. I guess everywhere has it's own slang... kids nowadays!!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:

Regards
I notice it. I have a friend from Canada who is black. Her accent sounds nothing like most of the blacks I have met in the USA. Her accent sounds very Canadian. Actually, my high school French teacher was from Canada and she told me I sounded just like the black people who lived in Canada, considering the fact that I was born in the USA.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I notice it. I have a friend from Canada who is black. Her accent sounds nothing like most of the blacks I have met in the USA. Her accent sounds very Canadian. Actually, my high school French teacher was from Canada and she told me I sounded just like the black people who lived in Canada, considering the fact that I was born in the USA.
If your from Georgia, her accent would be different!
I can have a real hard time with some of those southern accents - both "black" & "white" variety - I think I might even comprehend French better than some Southern Yank dialects! Everything is sooooooo drawn out.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
If your from Georgia, her accent would be different!
I can have a real hard time with some of those southern accents - both "black" & "white" variety - I think I might even comprehend French better than some Southern Yank dialects! Everything is sooooooo drawn out.
People from Georgia often tell me I sound like I am from the Northern USA. Some people from the North tell me the same thing. I have lived in Georgia for a long time, but I have not picked up the accent. Some people say I sound like I am from the Northern USA. A Canadian even commented about how I sound Canadian to an extent.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:

Regards
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/AAVE.html

CAL: Topics: Dialects: African American English

It's AMERICAN culture, I'm sure you can understand that right? Which is why Canadian Blacks don't have the same "accent".

Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:

Regards
A "black accent" huh........Wow that sounds really bad "Not uniform"? says WHO? Society??????

Why are people always trying to judge you by how you DRESS, SPEAK, LIVE YOUR LIFE, HANG OUT WITH?

Even if they have a 'BLACK ACCENT" what does that mean? They are GHETTO and don't fit in or belong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada