Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,114,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Florida View Post
Isn't this argument just " Freckin " stupid. I've never seen such talk about some thing as silly of French vs. English pride.. I'm from the US and like both sides of Canada ... French and English If you live in French Canada try to learn a little English and Visa versa... It's funny how if you want to you guys can understand one anouther......It's a pride issue !!!
Holy necrothread Batman!

Not only was the post you replied to _over four years old_, it also had nothing to do with what seems to be the point of your post (pride??). Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
pdw

2,635 posts, read 3,040,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There wouldn't be many places like this left in the Townships. Though historically settled by Loyalists from the U.S. (hence the place names), this region is now 95% francophone or more. There is still an anglo minority there, but most of them are long-established and bilingual, and only a tiny handful of anglo towns have anglo majorities there these days.

About 70% of the francophones in the Eastern Townships speak French only, which is a good sign that you don't need English in everyday life there.

Contrast that with the Pontiac (which I mentioned in my previous post), where only 16% of francophones speak French only, which speaks volumes about how being bilingual (read= knowing English) is essential for living in that part of Quebec.
Stop saying "loyalists from the U.S." I feel as if French language nationalists are somehow using this to try and diminish our distinctiveness from Americans or something. They were from the thirteen colonies and were loyal to the British crown. A large percentage of them were born in Great Britain, too. This is a huge difference.
Quote:
Contrast that with the Pontiac (which I mentioned in my previous post), where only 16% of francophones speak French only, which speaks volumes about how being bilingual (read= knowing English) is essential for living in that part of Quebec.
To me, it's not fair to expect people to work or live their lives in a language. That's exactly what the péquistes want. They couldn't care less if people learn French, they expect people to live their lives in French. They want to remove the ability of English to be a functioning language in Quebec.

Last edited by pdw; 11-26-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,485,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Stop saying "loyalists from the U.S." I feel as if French language nationalists are somehow using this to try and diminish our distinctiveness from Americans or something. They were from the thirteen colonies and were loyal to the British crown. A large percentage of them were born in Great Britain, too. This is a huge difference.
To be fair, it does give added insight into the character of the Eastern Townships, which retains New England influences in its architecture, land divisions, and Anglo ethnic makeup. Many other English speaking areas in Quebec are distinct because they were settled by Anglos of other origins. Many North Shore towns were settled by Newfoundlanders and that is reflected in their accents in traditions. Likewise, Laurentian towns settled by Scottish soldiers after the war of 1812 or Ottawa valley towns settled largely by Irish immigrants are also a bit distinct from the older culture of the Eastern Townships. I don't think noting that the settlers originally came from the newly formed USA hundreds of years ago invalidates their Canadianness, that's a foundational story about the birth of what came to be the Anglo-Canadian culture.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:54 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,308,703 times
Quote:
Though they are by no means "purely French", they are nonetheless nowhere near as much of a "Heinz 57" mix as English-speaking Americans tend to be.

The dominant bloodline is obviously French and by a wide margin. Probably 85 to 90% of the entire population of Quebec (including many Anglo-Quebecers) has roots going back to the original French colonists.

As well, among the French speakers, the second-greatest influence would be from aboriginals, and it is estimated that between 50 and 75% of the French Canadian population is at least partly métis (mestizo), which is to say mix of European and native North American blood.

As well, it is estimated close to half of the French-speaking population has Irish blood, both from immigrants who merged with the francophones because of their common religion and from a large number of orphans whose parents died on ships crossing the ocean and who famously "kept their beautiful Irish surnames" even though they were adopted by francophone families.

There is also a non-negligeable (but less publicized tham the Irish-Québécois) Scottish element among the francophones. Quebec is said to be the only place in the world where there are Irish and Scottish offshoot populations that are majority French-speaking. (Although there are still many English-speaking Irish and Scots in Quebec as well.)

So Ryan, Ross, Flynn, Quinn, Johnson, Reid, Blackburn, Fraser are quite common old stock francophone surnames in Quebec, and nobody really gives much thought to their origins. There are also many other common Quebec surnames that have been francized over the centuries and I suppose that many people aren’t even aware of their origins: Riel (Riley), Tisdelle (Teasdale), Crégheur (Krieger), Rodrigue (Rodrigues), Sylvestre (Silvestri), Phaneuf (Farnsworth), Sylvain (Sullivan), Mayer (Meyer), etc.

This analysis refers essentially to the old-stock francophone population. Note that at the moment, there is a significant morphing in the francophone population taking place, particularly in Montreal. Just a few years ago, it was estimated that about 15% of Montreal’s native speaker francophone population was already made up of people with no French Canadian blood at all. The percentage is probably even higher today.

So the situation seems to be slowly moving in the "Heinz 57" direction here as well.
How far back does Celine Dion's ancestry go back into Canada? She is French Canadian. Does she have any admixture as well?

Many French Canadians sometimes have Metis and/or Native American ancestry. And in some cases even African ancestry from the African slaves that were brought into the colonies in Canada and those that accompanied French colonists.

This is a very good thread and now I'm really craving some "poutine" and cheese fries right now lol.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,763,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
How far back does Celine Dion's ancestry go back into Canada? She is French Canadian. Does she have any admixture as well?

Many French Canadians sometimes have Metis and/or Native American ancestry. And in some cases even African ancestry from the African slaves that were brought into the colonies in Canada and those that accompanied French colonists.

This is a very good thread and now I'm really craving some "poutine" and cheese fries right now lol.
Céline Dion's family on both sides would go back to the original French settlers from the early to mid 1600s. Most of her origins would be there. I am not familiar with her family tree but many French Canadians (perhaps 40%) have at least some Irish and a majority (perhaps 60%, maybe as high as 70%) have some aboriginal as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada