Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada REALLY A Different Country?
Yes, Canada Has A Culture All Of Its Own 38 64.41%
Canada Is A Different Political Enity But Everything Else Is The Same As The U.S. 9 15.25%
Canada Is Almost A Part Of The USA 10 16.95%
Canada Is Still Much Influenced By The UK 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM

73,134 posts, read 62,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Agreed! I don't think Canadians would ever take a Sarah Palin seriously nor would they be talking about religion! And George Bush would never have been elected in the first place.
I do know more about politics, such as Parti Quebecois, the political party in Quebec that is pushing for independence from Canada. There have been many referendums for independence. Quebec is still part of Canada. Part of the reason Quebec wants to separate from Canada is because many there view themselves as part of the majority of Francophones, rather than a minority. Many feel that by having independence, they can run their own government, their own health ministry, do their own thing. Part of this comes out of feeling mistreated.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,040,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I do know more about politics, such as Parti Quebecois, the political party in Quebec that is pushing for independence from Canada. There have been many referendums for independence. Quebec is still part of Canada. Part of the reason Quebec wants to separate from Canada is because many there view themselves as part of the majority of Francophones, rather than a minority. Many feel that by having independence, they can run their own government, their own health ministry, do their own thing. Part of this comes out of feeling mistreated.
but do the majority of Americans know about Canadian politics? Frankly no. Canadian political events get little media play here. In Canada, US politics is frequently covered, during last years US election it was a daily recap in the news and newspapers. It was annoying actually that more Canadians watched the Palin - Biden debate than the PM debate that occurred on the same night. We were waiting for Sara Palin to create a train wreck.. I mean a normal gaffe..

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM

73,134 posts, read 62,780,216 times
Quote:
but do the majority of Americans know about Canadian politics? Frankly no. Canadian political events get little media play here. In Canada, US politics is frequently covered, during last years US election it was a daily recap in the news and newspapers. It was annoying actually that more Canadians watched the Palin - Biden debate than the PM debate that occurred on the same night. We were waiting for Sara Palin to create a train wreck.. I mean a normal gaffe..
I think I already said that. I mentioned this is post 34. That is my post. I said many Canadians know more about American politics than most Americans know about Canadian politics. I am one of those few who know about Canadian politics. Personally, I know less about Sarah Palin than I do about the Parti Quebecois.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 AM

366 posts, read 1,187,001 times
Quote:
ARGH!

Why can't there be a thread..

Is America really its own country or merely an extension of Canada?

I mean I cross the border and drive and it looks like they copied everything back in Canada, except with the Miles thing...
...and the two party system thing, and the capital punishment thing, and the whole rah-rah patriotic thing, and the lack of universal health care....

Quote:
Agreed! I don't think Canadians would ever take a Sarah Palin seriously nor would they be talking about religion! And George Bush would never have been elected in the first place.
I doubt Sarah Palin could get elected as a school trustee here - dontcha know!
Our comedians are suffering for the fact we have nothing to ridicule except for Steven Harper's hair!

Quote:
Can of worms opened!!
Run for the hills!!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I think I already said that. I mentioned this is post 34. That is my post. I said many Canadians know more about American politics than most Americans know about Canadian politics. I am one of those few who know about Canadian politics. Personally, I know less about Sarah Palin than I do about the Parti Quebecois.
good for you! here is the affirmation you needed..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
...and the two party system thing, and the capital punishment thing, and the whole rah-rah patriotic thing, and the lack of universal health care....
and the flavour-less beer, the lack of Tim Horton's nationwide (gotta have my double double), no ketchup chips, the spelling issue (flavor, theater), etc. etc....

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,554,871 times
Quote:

Why can't there be a thread..

Is America really its own country or merely an extension of Canada?
'Cause that would be like calling NYC a suburb of Jersey City.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,316,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I thought it was a suburb of Newark

Liberty Enlightening the World is in New Jersey, so why not?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It isn't? Now I've heard everything!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,798,754 times
Quote:
One thing I notice is that many of the Canadians I know, they know more about American politics than most Americans know about Canadian politics. Does anyone know Jean Charest? Pierre Trudeau?
Don't know Jean Charest, I recall Trudeau as the President of Canada when Vietnam was going on and the draft evaders were going up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada