Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada REALLY A Different Country?
Yes, Canada Has A Culture All Of Its Own 38 64.41%
Canada Is A Different Political Enity But Everything Else Is The Same As The U.S. 9 15.25%
Canada Is Almost A Part Of The USA 10 16.95%
Canada Is Still Much Influenced By The UK 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,798,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually between 80 and 90% are within 100 miles of the US border. The only province with notable exceptions is Alberta. Calgary is about 200mi, and Edmonton about 350mi.
I don't know how people live in those places. Bitter cold and snow 5 feet high and no roads in and out of them (I saw a TV show where their "roads" are frozen lakes that these truckers use 4 months a year to bring in supplies and stuff and the temp is like minus 30 degrees US for the HIGH!)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,353,706 times
Quote:
I doubt Sarah Palin could get elected as a school trustee here - dontcha know!
Our comedians are suffering for the fact we have nothing to ridicule except for Steven Harper's hair!
Oh, that's not quite true. Stockwell Day was a male version of Sarah Palin. For the first time in my lifetime, with his daily gaffes, the news was a highly amusing reality show.

And besides Harper's hair, there's that lateness thing that's becoming a habit with him, of having to visit the little boy's room just as the other world leaders want to take a family photo.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 AM

[
Quote:
quote=KevK;9803598]I don't know how people live in those places. Bitter cold and snow 5 feet high and no roads in and out of them (I saw a TV show where their "roads" are frozen lakes that these truckers use 4 months a year to bring in supplies and stuff and the temp is like minus 30 degrees US for the HIGH!)[/quote
]

Ice roads are how they get supplies to what here in Manitoba are mostly reserves. There's a show called Ice Road Truckers, or something like that. I think it is filmed in Alberta though and has to do with the oil sands.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:11 AM

366 posts, read 1,187,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know how people live in those places. Bitter cold and snow 5 feet high and no roads in and out of them (I saw a TV show where their "roads" are frozen lakes that these truckers use 4 months a year to bring in supplies and stuff and the temp is like minus 30 degrees US for the HIGH!)
Ice Road Truckers is the show.
It's actually filmed in the Northwest Territories - not Alberta.

I don't know how people live in those places either! Especially Alberta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Oh, that's not quite true. Stockwell Day was a male version of Sarah Palin. For the first time in my lifetime, with his daily gaffes, the news was a highly amusing reality show.

And besides Harper's hair, there's that lateness thing that's becoming a habit with him, of having to visit the little boy's room just as the other world leaders want to take a family photo.
Stockwell has nothing on Palin. She in her own league!

I think Harper's bathroom breaks are manifestations of his typical Canadian passive-aggressiveness!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,316,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It beats having to go to the grocery igloo with your dogsled. You should have seen the excitement when we got indoor plumbing last year. Nothing worse than having to knock a hole in the ice to have to go to the bathroom. At least President Harper has increased the seal blubber that gets given out on line at the hospital. I mean if you're waiting in line while you have a heart attack, at least you should get some warm fat to chew on.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM

366 posts, read 1,187,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It beats having to go to the grocery igloo with your dogsled. You should have seen the excitement when we got indoor plumbing last year. Nothing worse than having to knock a hole in the ice to have to go to the bathroom. At least President Harper has increased the seal blubber that gets given out on line at the hospital. I mean if you're waiting in line while you have a heart attack, at least you should get some warm fat to chew on.
Take off eh!

We have a Prime Minister - not a President you hoser! If someone reads your post they might get the wrong impression about our country!

Anyways, gotta go hunt some Cariboo... Now where did I leave my parka?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,916 times
After having interacted with many Canadians and having a romantic period with one, and visiting often, I can say that Canada is, of course, influenced by the USA, but it also has a slightly different culture. I voted it has a different culture because it was the best fit - the others were too slanted and saying "No" in three different places.

My sense of Canada is that Canadians are proud to be different from the USA, more neutral in foreign affairs, more liberal, yet offering to discuss items with all parties (they have three main parties which are for the most part an alliance of different entities), more accepting of different ideas and more accepting of minorities (they have the highest percentage of people claiming more than one ethnic group - white, black, asian, first nations aka native americans, and other, not counting hispanics). Americans, for the most part, have only begun to tolerate different ideas. There's a difference between accepting and tolerating.

Case in point, the girl I dated from Canada was half laotian and half german. And in my visits, I got the feeling that the number of mixed race couples was much much higher than in the USA.

Maybe that doesn't really mean anything, but to me it speaks a volume of the intangible different feel of Canadians towards their fellow human, and have for a while. If they had as troubled a past as the USA over gay rights, minority rights, slavery, and immigrant rights, then they more quickly resolved them. The USA has finally started catching up, as Obama's election demonstrates.

On the flip side, the plight of First Nations peoples is a sore spot that Canadian officials are lax to pay attention to and should be remedied.

Further, their major sport is hockey. There is more of a British and French influence in Canada. Violent crime is much less common. They aren't spendthrifts like we are on a governmental level.

Of course many things will be similar when you share a border with and your largest trading partner is the world's dominant superpower. For example they drive on the right side of the road, drink American beers (though have to say they taste better as their alcohol content is higher). They also consume many of the same foods (albeit more healthy because their foodstuffs and drug oversight committee banned bad substances like HFCS). But beyond that, it is quite different. Heck, they even use metric as standard!

Just go to Calgary, Edmonton, or Quebec to see what I mean.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,316,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Take off eh!

We have a Prime Minister - not a President you hoser! If someone reads your post they might get the wrong impression about our country!

Anyways, gotta go hunt some Cariboo... Now where did I leave my parka?
KevK was refering to President Trudeau earlier. That's why it's included.

...now off to the centre to meet my neighbour regarding the favour he needed about his coloured armour. That and I need a new chesterfield. Maybe Canadian Tire has one?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Stockwell has nothing on Palin. She in her own league!

Well, the way I remember Stockwell Day, he was proof positive that a hay bale can get elected in Alberta if it has "Conservative/Reform" stamped on it. He seems to be quiet now though - with Cheney-wannabe Harper at the helm.

Quote:
I think Harper's bathroom breaks are manifestations of his typical Canadian passive-aggressiveness!
[/quote]

Now there you go.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM

549 posts, read 1,667,137 times
Canada is much much better than USA, and both nations are different.

First of all, the lowest minimum wage in Canada is $16,234 (USD) and the lowest minimum wage in USA is $13,624 (USD)>>>per year.

List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second, Canada is part of the British Commonwealth (Australia too) and both countries have an outstanding quality of life. Superior to the one of USA.

Third, Canada has a more homogenous society (mainly from Europe). USA is a multiracial country that has the largest population of citizens (of African background) among the first world countries + millions of Asians + American Indian Mexicans + Arabs + Jews (Israeli) + U.S. American Indians/Natives (Oklahoma, Alaska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Montana, North Dakota, Arizona) + Indians (India) + any race and nationality in the world.

Fourth, Canada uses a points tests to recruit foreign workers. The majority of the foreign workers that relocate to Canada (immigrants) are highly skilled.

Fifth, Canada has converted to the metric system, the most widely used system of measurement.
File:Metric system adoption map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to the U.S. CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States.

Sixth, Canada has close to unlimited natural resources to its citizens (specially fresh water, gas, and oil). Canada has the second largest oil reserve in the world (Second only to Saudi Arabia).
List of countries by proven oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seventh, The Canadian population is 33 millions and Canada is the world`s second largest country by total area. USA is not as big as Canada, and the U.S. American population is 306 millions. U.S. and World Population Clocks - POPClocks

Eighth, Canada is a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state (much more stable). This must be the best form of government because Australia, Canada, and the U.K. are among the best countries in the world when it comes to quality of life and standard of living. They don`t have to deal with Obamas, McCains, Bush (father and son), Palin, Clintons, Republicans, Democrats, right, left, etc. (Specially Faux News and Bill O`Reilly)

Ninth, Canadians have a universal healthcare system (like Europe, and Australia).

Tenth, Canadian women are very attractive (Ex. Pamela Anderson)

Eleventh, many of them are bilingual English/French. Therefore, more educated when it comes to languages.

Lastly, Canadians are very gentle/noble. I mean..have you heard about Canadians throwing nuclear bombs to other countries? or invading the middle east? etc. Canada does not invade other countries for oil/strategic resons. As a consequence, Canada doesn`t have world enemies.

For those who claim that GDP is a good indicator of standard of living you are wrong (read the link below). GDP per capita is not a measurement of the standard of living in an economy. Although USA has a slightly bigger GDP per capita compared to Canada, Canadians have a higher minimum wage and a quality of life/standard of living superior to United states.

Gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Eduardo983; 07-17-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada