Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,787,026 times

Advertisements

I'm an American and in a serious relationship with a Canadian. We are probably going to get married in Canada and live in Toronto. From what I've read on the Canadian Immigration website and on this forum, after I get married, I can apply for citizenship.

Once I'm married, however, will I have access to the Canadian national health insurance program?

As I undertand it, my spouse can sponsor me to become a Permanent Resident as soon as we are married. does anyone know how long that process takes if you are married to a Canadian and living in Canada?

Since we are an "older" couple, in our 50's, I have to ask the question: what if my husband (the Canadian) died unexpectedly while I was a permanent resident, waiting to become a citizen? Would I lose my access to the national health insurance?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

47 posts, read 284,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm an American and in a serious relationship with a Canadian. We are probably going to get married in Canada and live in Toronto. From what I've read on the Canadian Immigration website and on this forum, after I get married, I can apply for citizenship.

Once I'm married, however, will I have access to the Canadian national health insurance program?

As I undertand it, my spouse can sponsor me to become a Permanent Resident as soon as we are married. does anyone know how long that process takes if you are married to a Canadian and living in Canada?

Since we are an "older" couple, in our 50's, I have to ask the question: what if my husband (the Canadian) died unexpectedly while I was a permanent resident, waiting to become a citizen? Would I lose my access to the national health insurance?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
As long as one is considered a resident of a province of Canada, the person is entitled to Health Insurance whether the person is a permanent resident or citizen. Some residents also have work visas only and are not permanent residents. Please see OHIP Eligibility for Ontario.

Last edited by crikey; 04-19-2007 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2007, 02:54 PM

99 posts, read 521,160 times
I know you may not but I am sorry to say that, from your post it seems that you are marrying just because of getting citizenship. It might be utter wrong but that is the impression what I had. Other might also have the same impression so suggest you to change the way u have asked the questions here.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:16 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,706,541 times
xz2y:

The first point you need to be clear on is that there is no national health care. Health care plans are administered by each province with differing rules and wait times.

From the sounds of things, you plan on entering Canada on a visitor's visa and then marrying. Your vistor status must be maintained while your application for Permanent Residence is considered. Be aware that your visitor visa is good for only 6 months and then must be renewed. The renewal takes at least 30 days and involves paperwork and fees. It is not guaranteed to be granted. If your status lapses, you run the very real risk that Permanent Resident status will not be granted.

It is very important that you check into the requirements for getting an Ontario Marriage Licence. It may well be more complex than just trotting down to city hall with cash in hand.

Ok, so you come into Canada on your visitor visa and try to get married. You say you are in your 50's, so I will assume you have been married previously. If you have been married previously and have received a divorce outside of Canada, there are special hoops you will have to jump through before the Province of Ontario will grant you a marriage licence.

If you've been divorced outside of Canada, you will be required to hire an Ontario lawyer. You will need to present this lawyer with a certified copy of your divorce decree. He will then have to write a letter stating that, in his opinion, your divorce is valid. The letter and your marriage licence application will then have to be forwarded to the Ontario Office of the Registrar General. They will eventually review your application and reply with a decision. If the decision is positive, you will then be allowed purchase your marriage licence. This process does not happen overnight. The Registrar General is notoriously slow, so plan on at least 6 weeks. Your fiance should be able to find exact information about times at his local marriage licence issuer.

So now you have your licence and the happy deed is done. You're home free, right? Wrong.

You and your husband must now begin the process of application for Permanent Resident's status.

First you download all the appropriate forms from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. www.cic.gc.ca

Have a fresh cartridge in your printer and start printing them off.

You will have to provide information basic personal information. Be prepared to provide a detailed history of you and your family. You will also be asked to provide a criminal record check ($) from your country of origin. You'll also need to have a Canadian criminal record check ($). You will need to take a physical at a designated doctor's office ($). You will need to obtain acceptable pictures of yourself to attach to your application ($).

Here's a special consideration. You will need to include a certified copy of your marriage certificate (not your licence) with your application. The certificate can only be issued by the Registrar Generals Office ($). The Registrar General has a policy of not issuing certificates until 12 months after the marriage date. You will likely want your sooner, so be prepared to battle bureaucrats to obtain your certificate sooner than 12 months. It can be a brute.

When all the paperwork is complete, you can send it off to Vegreville, Alberta for investigation. Be sure to include your non-refundable fee ($$).

Now you wait. And wait. Wait some more. Plan on 12-18 months minimum. Time frames can be longer if CIC decides detailed investigation is necessary, or if face-to-face interviews are required.

While you are waiting you have to remember to maintain your visitor visa ($). You should have plenty of time on your hands, because you won't be allowed to work until after you are granted PR status.

CIC also advises those who are waiting for application to be processed that if they leave Canada, they may not be allowed back in the country and their application would then be null and void.

You won't be eligible for the Ontario health plan until 3 months after you receive Permanent resident's status, so you better plan on purchasing health insurance from a private company ($$).

If things turn out for the best and your application is granted, you will then be required to attend at an Immigration office where an officer will perform an interview and make the final decision as to whether your application will be granted.

Let's assume things go well. You will soon be receiving your Permanent Resident card which will need to be renewed every 10 years ($). You will be eligible for OHIP in 90 days. You will finally be able to apply for a Social Insurance Number which will allow you to work if you wish.

You are now allowed to enter and leave Canada as you see fit. You have most of the same rights as a citizen except you can't vote, and you aren't eligible to work in certain government jobs.

If you wish to apply for Canadian citizenship, you may do so after 3 years. Luckily for you, you have spent time in Canada while waiting for your PR application. Every 2 days you were in Canada prior to your application being granted will counted as one day toward the 3 year waiting period.

Please enjoy your ride through the Canadian immigration system.

If your spouse was to die after you were granted PR status, you would maintain that status.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-19-2007 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Totally Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
I know you may not but I am sorry to say that, from your post it seems that you are marrying just because of getting citizenship. It might be utter wrong but that is the impression what I had. Other might also have the same impression so suggest you to change the way u have asked the questions here.
You are totally incorrect to assume I am marrying for purposes of citizenship. Questions about health care and residency and citizenship when relocating to a foreign country are prudent questions for anyone to ask in this situation. Health care is a major issue regardless of where one lives and becomes even more important when moving to a foreign country and marrying a citizen from another country. Everyone in this kind of situation should become familiar with the laws and regulations of the new country in which they may be living. There are many resources for answers to these questions and this forum is one of them. Don't make negative assumptions just because someone is asking for information.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM

To Cornerguy1,
Thank you for the detailed and very helpful information. It's good to know up front that there is considerable time and $$ involved in the process of immigration to Canada. Official websites usually do not spell out all the time involved for this process and don't always list all the fees. I really appreciate your thorough, helpful response.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,706,541 times
You're welcome, xz2y. Hope some of it helps.

I've found that both the Canadian and US government immigration sites are quite complete, but they do require some serious navigation. I guess a complex subject requires complex answers.

The Canadian site, www.cic.gc.ca, lists a toll free contact number. You may to be tenacious to get through, but the immigration folks on the other end are usually very helpful and will try to answer all your questions.

Once again, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada