Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckchemist View Post
It's even worse in Canada, at least in the US they are unabashed about it. In Canada they have to suffer all this "we are for the common man" garbage, when in fact everything is tailored to US and multinationals ripping off the natural resources. There is no political will to make foreign corporations make value added products with the vast Canadian natural resources, the liberal phoney politicians just allow it to be dug up, chopped down etc. and shipped out. Take a look at the tar sands, most of the bitumen is simply shipped via pipeline to the US. They don't even employ Canadians to refine the stuff. And now they are going to build a huge pipeline to ship it to the west coast so it can be sent on tankers to places like China. It's always the same, Canadians will never wake up to these facts, it's such a shame that a country with so much resources, great education system, is such a small player, it could easily be a global power. Canadian politicians know exactly how to play the voter though, they just offer minor perks and keep getting re elected. Too bad.....
So you're calling for more government regulation so that the bitumen is refined here in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckchemist View Post
It's even worse in Canada, at least in the US they are unabashed about it. In Canada they have to suffer all this "we are for the common man" garbage, when in fact everything is tailored to US and multinationals ripping off the natural resources. There is no political will to make foreign corporations make value added products with the vast Canadian natural resources, the liberal phoney politicians just allow it to be dug up, chopped down etc. and shipped out. Take a look at the tar sands, most of the bitumen is simply shipped via pipeline to the US. They don't even employ Canadians to refine the stuff. And now they are going to build a huge pipeline to ship it to the west coast so it can be sent on tankers to places like China. It's always the same, Canadians will never wake up to these facts, it's such a shame that a country with so much resources, great education system, is such a small player, it could easily be a global power. Canadian politicians know exactly how to play the voter though, they just offer minor perks and keep getting re elected. Too bad.....
Of course Greenpeace, the Liberals and the NDP are all up in arms over the upgrader alone. What makes you think for an instant that they would think a refinery is a good idea? There hasn't been a new refinery built in Canada or the US since the late 70's. Between regulations and NIMBY, there won't be a new one either.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM

261 posts, read 668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
It is not news that corporations and their lobbyists have far too much power over the US govt and the laws.

I just watched Food Inc and highly recommend it. It inspired me to post this question:

My question is directed at Canadians,

How is the situation in Canada when it comes to corporations, their power over the Canadian gvt and Canadian laws/regulations?

Are small farmers being bought out by mega farm companies?

Do Canadian farmers have the same problem US farmers do?

Is unhealthy fast food less expensive than real vegetables and fruits as is the case in the US?

I am asking about Canada in general and BC in particular.
No one can ever buy out a Canadian politicians because they have gone far past that stage of corruption. Here is the corruption ladder
1.asking companies to donate to you
2. taking bribes
3.Setting up phony companies that get paid money for jobs they never complete
4. kleptocracy, stealing money out of the federal reserve when you think you will lose an election and putting it in a foriegn country.

Canada is inbetween 3 and 4 so 3.5. Canadian politicians stopped taking bribes 20 years ago after it became to risky. For example, it is illegal to have more than $10,000 in cash without declaring it so you can see how that alone makes it inherently risky for former prime minister Mulroney to take $100,000 in a hotel room from weapon lobbyist who were recetly sent back to germany.

Now most politicians hae friends and family members set up a construction company. They say we are going to build a new buildiing here, and the 200 million dollars gets lost and unaccounted for like with mr paul martin. No building, no nothing, just 200 million dollars gone into thin air. Its no coincidence that he is the only billionaire prim inister of Canada. Corporations have little power in canada, the government just steals money from the tax payers lik when stephen harper stole $24 million from the national reserve in gold and it was not reported to the police for 9 months! BULL****. If a man with a mask was driving forklifts and 20 transport trucks into the federal reserve some cop/security/worker would notice.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Corporations have little power in canada, the government just steals money from the tax payers lik when stephen harper stole $24 million from the national reserve in gold and it was not reported to the police for 9 months! BULL****. If a man with a mask was driving forklifts and 20 transport trucks into the federal reserve some cop/security/worker would notice.[/quote]

Huh? You think Stephen Harper is responsible for the missing gold? How'd you come up with that idea? I mean, I'd certainly believe he hates women, children, dogs and poor people but stealing gold from the federal reserve?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
No one can ever buy out a Canadian politicians because they have gone far past that stage of corruption. Here is the corruption ladder
1.asking companies to donate to you
2. taking bribes
3.Setting up phony companies that get paid money for jobs they never complete
4. kleptocracy, stealing money out of the federal reserve when you think you will lose an election and putting it in a foriegn country.

Canada is inbetween 3 and 4 so 3.5. Canadian politicians stopped taking bribes 20 years ago after it became to risky. For example, it is illegal to have more than $10,000 in cash without declaring it so you can see how that alone makes it inherently risky for former prime minister Mulroney to take $100,000 in a hotel room from weapon lobbyist who were recetly sent back to germany.

Now most politicians hae friends and family members set up a construction company. They say we are going to build a new buildiing here, and the 200 million dollars gets lost and unaccounted for like with mr paul martin. No building, no nothing, just 200 million dollars gone into thin air. Its no coincidence that he is the only billionaire prim inister of Canada. Corporations have little power in canada, the government just steals money from the tax payers lik when stephen harper stole $24 million from the national reserve in gold and it was not reported to the police for 9 months! BULL****. If a man with a mask was driving forklifts and 20 transport trucks into the federal reserve some cop/security/worker would notice.
I think your tin foil hat is a bit too tight.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Corporations have little power in canada, the government just steals money from the tax payers lik when stephen harper stole $24 million from the national reserve in gold and it was not reported to the police for 9 months! BULL****. If a man with a mask was driving forklifts and 20 transport trucks into the federal reserve some cop/security/worker would notice.

Huh? You think Stephen Harper is responsible for the missing gold? How'd you come up with that idea? I mean, I'd certainly believe he hates women, children, dogs and poor people but stealing gold from the federal reserve?[/quote]

I don't believe he hates all these thing, I believe he is like every policitians in this country on the federal level=a theif in a suit. Who in this country can walk into the federal resever and take out gold, take all the tapes, take all the evidence, hire 20 transport trucks, forklifts and move 24 million of gold on a private plane to a foreign country without being caught. It would require this person to have control of federal policing organizations=harper or a high level cop. I believe that most cops actually believe in their jobs unlike scum bag politicians, but the head of the rcmp works for harper.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think your tin foil hat is a bit too tight.
It doesn't matter to me if you think i'm crazy, your just naive of Canadian politics. Why do 1000s of 50 year old lawyer more than happily quit their jobs that pay 500,000 and up (the avreage salary for a person with 10 year law experience in canada is 500,000) for a huge pay cut and risk. The chance to steal like hell. Its no secret that lawyers are unethical so i should be no ssurprise that politicans steal

Old 08-08-2009, 12:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,157 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter to me if you think i'm crazy, your just naive of Canadian politics. Why do 1000s of 50 year old lawyer more than happily quit their jobs that pay 500,000 and up (the avreage salary for a person with 10 year law experience in canada is 500,000) for a huge pay cut and risk. The chance to steal like hell. Its no secret that lawyers are unethical so i should be no ssurprise that politicans steal
Your posts are filled with stereotypes and assumptions. Many Americans have a distrust of government that stems from their self-sufficiency/rely-on-yourself origins and it would seem that their media is having a significant impact on some of our population. People enter politics for many different reasons but money is not usually one of them.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 PM

111 posts, read 589,998 times
Quote:
I take it you're one of those sad souls who buy into all of the conspiracy theories?

Next thing you'll be blaming Harper for running around B.C with a lighter and starting the wildfires.

There are far-fetched accusations, and then there are paranoid and blatant fabrications. I'd say you fall toward the latter. Every nation has scandals, it's not some huge scheme that every one on Parliament Hill is in on.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
There aren't even a thousand MP's, and most of them aren't lawyers....

Ahh forget it. I'm going to go watch a US healthcare "discussion". They're much more open minded than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada