Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:57 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,721 times

Advertisements

Ya well I don't remember being too freaked out. I was pretty naive back then (well still am just not to the same extent...LOL) and just had a la la attitude that everything would work out. I kinda wonder though if I were another nationality if I woulda had to return in person?? I guess I musta come across exactly like I was. Naive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,767,653 times
Amusing Recollection:

The talk about going for K1 interviews brought back memories of trying to make a consular appointment for the interview itself. After hours of navigating the US Gov site, I was quite proud of myself for actually unearthing the telephone number. Imagine my surprise when I phoned only to find that the number automaticly switched to a 900# which would add a fee to my phone bill just for making the appointment. LOL

I thought that was the ultimate in Yankee free enterprise.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 29,652 times
I'm on this exact same route myself. Girlfriend in Texas, wants to get married, etc...

I'm going down there to meet her parents this summer, then after that we'll figure out other things. I just hope the wait isn't too unbearable, although I've been with her 5 years and it feels like I met her yesterday in some respects. I knew it would be expensive. Hopefully it won't take that long to actually move there...hehe

Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 18,664 times
Default fatflyguy

We are U.S. citizens who immigrated to Canada. A caution on the consideration of seeking U.S. citizenship. The U.S. is the only country in the world to tax on citizenship rather than residency, i.e., not matter where you live in the world, for how long outside of the United States, as long as you retain your U.S. citizenship you are obligated to file and pay U.S. taxes.

Canada taxes on residency as do all other countries so if you change your residence to another country (legally in that you meet the requirements of Canadian law for non-residency) you do not file or pay Canadian taxes.

We file and pay U.S. taxes and file and pay Canadian taxes. I just offer this information as a caution to you if you do decided to immigrate. Good luck to you on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada