Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Reputation: 1917


Question about renewing the 6 month visitor's visa. When I cross the border into Canada from the US, all I do is show them my passport and they waive me through. Customs officials usually ask how long I'll be staying and I tell them the truth: one week, one day, one month, whatever it is.

If I was planning to stay 6 months (the maximum on a visitor's visa), would I have to do anything differently? At the border crossings, I don't see any recording into a computer of when specific people enter and leave. So, if I told them at the border crossing that I was planning to stay 6 months, is there paperwork to fill out? I've never seen any forms for this at the crossings.

If there is no paperwork, how could one apply for a renewal of the 6 month visitor's visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Reputation: 4000
2-part answer

1. If you tell customs you'll be staying for 6 months, naturally they will have questions regarding why, with whom, your financial support , etc. . People entering on a visitor visa are generally admitted with the understanding that they plan to actually leave again at some point. I'm not sure what the reaction would be if you told them you're entering the country on a visitor visa for the expressed purpose of marrying and seeking Permanent Resident status. While it certainly isn't illegal to marry and apply for PR status from within Canada, stating it may raise some eyebrows. Admitance to the country is at the sole discretion of the Immigration officer. Certainly people coming for a 2-week visit tend to blend in better.

2. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a specific application form for visa renewal. If memory serves, the form requires a photocopy of your passport pages which show your entry date into Canada. If your passport wasn't stamped, you will likely be required to supply photcopies of the personal data pages of your passport as well as copies of airline ticket showing your landing date. If you have concerns after viewing the renewal form, call the CIC contact number and they'll resolve any issues. Don't worry, they'll find a way to get hold of your renewal fee. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top