Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,867 times

Advertisements

hi
we are immigrating to canada by the end of the 2010 and now i am pregnant. as my children is going to live in canada i am ging to choose a name that have less difficulty for her in future there. but now according to my country law i have to choose an iranian name. ..... to sum up, i am looking for an international name for her.
would you please help me find a suitable name for my baby girl.
i am interested in the name "nirvana" and "chista". how do they look?
thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
I'm not familiar with Iranian names, but I've always been fond of the name Layla.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshida View Post
hi
we are immigrating to canada by the end of the 2010 and now i am pregnant. as my children is going to live in canada i am ging to choose a name that have less difficulty for her in future there. but now according to my country law i have to choose an iranian name. ..... to sum up, i am looking for an international name for her.
would you please help me find a suitable name for my baby girl.
i am interested in the name "nirvana" and "chista". how do they look?
thanks for your help in advance
Canadians call their children all kinds of names, including names that are not traditional names - ie, names made up of letters that they think sound good or look good. I'm not familiar with Iranian names either but either one of the names you have listed here would be fine and wouldn't cause your child any problems.

The only time a problem could occur is when a name accidentally sounds like something else, something that children would rhyme with a name that wouldn't be nice.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,867 times
thanks for your ideas. i think you are right and as canada is a multicultural country its more easy for me maybe i am a bit fussy.
"Nirvana" is an eastern name but the name of american band either. how dose it look?
"Chista" is an iranian name and "Arnica" is an iranian and either international well known herbal name
would you please tell me which one sounds better?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:13 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I won't tell you how to name your child but I can tell you that none of these three names means anything bad in the varities of English or French that are spoken in Canada. (Of course, with the imagination of children, one never knows and they can make fun of someone with any name you choose.)

If you choose Nirvana, many people will think her parents were big fans of the rock band. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but you might want to consider that.

In Canada, there is a tremendous variety of children's names, both because of different ethnic origins and also because many parents today like to invent their own names for their children.

So you should not worry too much about giving an Iranian name to your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada