Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
My whole comment about Gordon has got me thinking, but names go around in waves... there are trendy names that were popular in certain decades which, due to overpopularity, fade away... and then eventually come back into popularity. Like the name "Jennifer". How many hundreds of Jennifers have you met in Canada? And some time in the last 10 years it became uber trendy and sophisticated to name your baby girl something old fashioned and English sounding, like Emma, or Victoria. Those hundreds of Jennifers will be replaced by the hundreds of Emmas and Victorias, until a new name trend shifts. Gordon may have been a name trend in Canada back in the 60's and 70's (or maybe I'm just thinking of Gordon Lightfoot or the Barenaked Ladie's album, Gordon).

I'm still trying to think of names that are in abundance in Canada but aren't elsewhere, and I can't think of any.
Cree, Ojibwa, and Inuit names would be uniquely Canadian (also those of other indigenous peoples)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
**PROBABLY a safe bet that these are Canadian, rather than US....
Gord....Colin....Reginald....Moose...

**PROBABLY USA....not likely Canadian:
Bubba Ray....Sonny....Junior.....PeeWee.....Buck....Four Eyes...Chrome Dome...Buster...Tex

Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,224 times
Reginald?

I've never met a Reginald in Canada, ever.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Omar, Ali, Rajiv and what are those Chinese names....

those sound like names of (new) Canadians!

LOL

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Anyone with the last name McKenzie sounds Canadian to me..

Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Just blabbing here, but I don't think I've ever met a guy named Lorne in my life. Gordon? Do you think Gordon's still representative of the typical Canadian male name? Perhaps it was in 1970, but now? Aren't there more little boys being named "Jayden" and "Liam" and "Aiden" these days? I'd say Gordon's out of fashion - guys named Gordon are 40+. When was the last time you met a young guy named Gordon in Canada? I know more Mikes, Steves, James, and Jasons than Gordons. And more guys named Josh, Kyle, Luke, Greg, Brandon, Tyler, Ryan, Sean, Ian, Brian, and Patrick than Gordon. Gordon? I think it's a myth Canadians like to emphasize, but the reality is that there are so many more common names... they're just not "Canadian" - they're regular popular western names.

But Jean-Guy and Rhéal? Seriously? I don't think I've ever seen the name Rhéal until I read it right now!

I don't know if I'd single out Jean-Guy, but Jean-anything is seriously québecois. A hyphenated French name is much more prevalent in Québec than any other French-speaking country.

Jean-Marc, Jean-Pierre, Jean-Claude, Jean-Paul, etc for guys.
Marie-Claude, Marie-Claire, Marie-Josée, and whatever, for girls.

I'd actually say Matthieu, Luc, and Marc are more typical québecois names... names you'll run into again and again in Québec.

Personally? I don't really think there are any first names that are truly Canadian. But there are certainly last names - surnames - which are found more commonly in Canada than anywhere else. Again, I can think of Québecois examples like Tremblay, Gaulin, Lavallee, Lavigne, etc.
I should have said "stereotypical" rather than "typical" when I referred to Lorne, Gordon, Rhéal and Jean-Guy. Though I have met/known of quite a few Lornes in my life, none of them would be younger than 50. Same with Gordon, Rhéal and Jean-Guy.

Guess I was thinking of it more from a "historical" perspective.

I would tend to agree with you that currently popular anglo names in Canada tend to be quite similar to what you find in the U.S., U.K., Australia, etc.

I am more familiar with francophone names and there is a definite link between popular culture and names as there is elsewhere. Hence, Émilie is a very popular female name in Quebec for the under-20 generation, owing to the main character in the immensely popular book and TV series ''Les Filles de Caleb''. Alexis is also popular as boy's name because of the movie ''Séraphin''. Though the name Séraphin, which does appear on occasion in other francophone countries, got the kiss of death in Quebec because it is borne by an evil character. Aurore, which is not unheard of in France, is impossible to find in Quebec because it is the name of a child that was abused and murdered in a cause célèbre that has been immortalized by Quebec cinema.

Zachary/Zacharie has also become very popular for boys due to Louisiana singer Zachary Richard, who is a huge star in Quebec. Amélie is also very common among young Quebec girls due to the popular French film ''Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain''.

I guess this phenomenon is not dissimilar to the soap opera/pop culture influence that gave a meteoric rise to Ashley (Young and the Restless) and other character names in anglo North America.

Finally, note that Jean-X names are popular in both France and Quebec, as are Marie-X names. You generally find the same variations on both sides of that Atlantic: Jean-Paul, Jean-Pierre, Jean-Claude, with Jean-Guy the exception that is mostly heard in North America. Same with Marie-X: Marie-Hélène, Marie-France, Marie-Louise, Marie-Thérèse are common everywhere, with the main exception being Marie-Josée, a popular name for girls born in the 60s and 70s in Quebec, but very rare in France.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
[quote]
Quote:
Just blabbing here, but I don't think I've ever met a guy named Lorne in my life.
Lorne Greene was Canadian. But I have never actually met a Lorne either or heard the name outside the actor.

Quote:
Gordon? Do you think Gordon's still representative of the typical Canadian male name? Perhaps it was in 1970, but now? Aren't there more little boys being named "Jayden" and "Liam" and "Aiden" these days?
I didn't realize we had an age limit. I do know a Gordon. The one and only Gordon I have ever met. And yes, he would be in his 40s but that's old?! I didn't either realize that "Gordon" was part of our national myth. We have a myth about names?

Quote:
But Jean-Guy and Rhéal? Seriously? I don't think I've ever seen the name Rhéal until I read it right now!
I don't know a Jean-Guy but I know at least two Jean-Pauls and a couple of Rheals along with a handful of Raymonds (pronounced the French way - I don't know how to make the little marks over letters) and Andres. And a lot of Michelles and one Mireille.

Quote:
Personally? I don't really think there are any first names that are truly Canadian.
That's right.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
[quote=netwit;10379801]
Quote:

I didn't either realize that "Gordon" was part of our national myth. We have a myth about names?

It's not a question of having national myths about names. It's about names that tend to be more common here than elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
They sound Ukrainian, as do most names that end in "chuk" and "uik". There were a lot of Ukrainian immigrants to Canada in the early 1900's.
They are. My friend for Saskatchewan, her last name was Hrycuik. Michalchuk, well, I heard that from Paige Michalchuk(played by Lauren Collins), a Degrassi character.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Anyone with the last name McKenzie sounds Canadian to me..
It would make sense, but I hear that name in the USA too.
Another Canadian name, Mcleod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada