Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:13 AM
1 posts, read 3,715 times
Reputation: 11



Can some 1 inform me the procedure and the time required for acquiring the citizenship of canada as a conjugal partner in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM
4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Reputation: 4000
Default sam30

The technically correct answer to the question you asked is that an application may be made for Canadian citizenship after a period of 1095 days has been spent in Canada as a Permanent Resident.

However, I think what you really mean to ask is how long it will take for the conjugal partner of a Canadian citizen to be granted permission to live and work in Canada as a Permanent Resident.

There really is no hard and fast answer to your question. You can count on a minimum of 18 months from the time the application for Permanent Resident status is made until it granted. That 18-month period can get longer depending on factors such as where the application is processed, incompleteness of the application, ease of confirming records in the applicant's home country, level of investigation required, etc.

It's interesting you use the term conjugal partner. Sponsorship of a wife by a husband or vice versa is a straight forward process, but there may restrictions or prohibitions on sponsorships involving same sex couples or common law relationships.

Your best best is to vist the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.


The site has a listing for an 800 number which will allow you to ask an immigration officer specific questions and receive direct feedback for your particular circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM
2 posts, read 5,171 times
Reputation: 10
I'm just now finding your post Sam30.
There is absolutely no difference between applying for immigration or citizenship as a straight couple or as a same sex couple, whether you're married or just in a conjugal relationship. Canada is way ahead of many other countries in that respect. Go to LEGIT | Canadian Immigration for Same-sex Partners for lots of great info. They're very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top