Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1287 View Post
I know mathematics engineering and science
Those skills are in very high demand worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1287 View Post
I would like to make one thing perfectly clear. We have Jim Hortons in Ohio too and from what I remember, it is slightly superior to Dunkin Donuts (except the coffee is about equal) and much much better than Starbuck.
Seriously, I visited Canada years ago and fell in love with the country. I wanted to move there for years but never gave it any real thought until this our debacle of an election. The one thing I will miss after moving to Canada will be my firearms. Target shooting is my absolute favorite past time. I'm also not looking forward to learning french. I know mathematics engineering and science, language proves troublesome for me.
There is enough of Canada where you won't likely *have* to learn French.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is enough of Canada where you won't likely *have* to learn French.
I'd imagine the vast majority of Canadians outside of Quebec and NB essentially never have to use French in their daily lives, correct? I go to Southern Ontario annually and it's quite rare for me to hear anyone speak it.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd imagine the vast majority of Canadians outside of Quebec and NB essentially never have to use French in their daily lives, correct? I go to Southern Ontario annually and it's quite rare for me to hear anyone speak it.
I'm going to give you a bit of a laugh as I use my rudimentary French more often here in Florida while wintering down here.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
The linguistic-cultural environment and reality for an average person living in Calgary, Vancouver or Halifax is not that different from that of people in Minneapolis, Seattle or Omaha, really.

Unless a person wants to enter federal politics, or maybe have a high-level career with a national Canadian civil society organization. And even so, people who speak English only can often "wing it" in such cases.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:16 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Americans see that as a bad thing because they feel you need one to protect yourself from other gun trotting individuals.
Not just "other gun trotting individuals" but from our own police and our own government. (Oh, I know, that can't happen here. ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwIbyp4xBU&t=28s

Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
You will hear more French in Vancouver, than Seattle. It's not used in daily life so much, but many Quebeckers and and people from NB have moved here. In my circle of friends I'd say 20 percent speak fluent French, a few more " cereal box " French.

Many people also send their children to French Immersion Schools. These places quickly fill up.

If you are applying for some Federal jobs, having French will help. My mother was specifically hired by Revenue Canada because she had French.

Also airlines such as Air Canada really want flight attendants who have both official languages. Of course anyone with more than one language gets chosen over someone with just one.

If a French speaker moves to BC, they would really have to learn English to survive day to day life. Only federal agencies by law must provide services in both official languages.

That is why at Vancouver's airport you see signage in both languages, but in other public places you don't.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
I'm in rural Manitoba and I hear French, along with Russian, German and Tagalog (presumably. A language from the Philippines anyway) every time I go to town to run errands.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Interesting, I have heard there is a small French speaking community in Winnipeg (even big enough to have their own university) but Vancouver surprises me a little. I've thought there would be little in the way of French used west of Winnipeg though it is good many parents see the value in having their children be bilingual. It is understandable that French proficiency is preferred for many civil servant jobs as well, you need to be able to serve all citizens well.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Interesting, I have heard there is a small French speaking community in Winnipeg (even big enough to have their own university) but Vancouver surprises me a little. I've thought there would be little in the way of French used west of Winnipeg though it is good many parents see the value in having their children be bilingual. It is understandable that French proficiency is preferred for many civil servant jobs as well, you need to be able to serve all citizens well.
My grandmother was born in St Boniface ( Winnipeg ) in 1910. They moved back to Quebec in 1913.

Outside of Vancouver we have a place called Maillardville. It use to be more French speaking, now it's mostly rests on that history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillardville

I hope I didn't mislead you though. It's 20 percent of my friends that speak fluent French, not 20 percent of Vancouverites. That said, you of course will find bit of Quebecois culture sometimes. Tourtière for example was in most grocery stores over Christmas, and friends from Quebec who live here made sugar pie as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada