Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Thank you. These ads are quite embarassing from my POV. I'm not gonna mention that "Oh Canada" rap song from Classified. *hides face in shame*

Not only do I dislike patriotism, it gets even worse when it's fueled by putting down someone. I already look down on nationalism and pride. Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious, said Oscar Wilde. When I see people measuring their collective penis versus another country, city, religion, language, etc...it irks me even more.

When I see grown adults eyes light up at triviliaties like our healthcare system, which they have no credit for, I can't help but feel sad for them.

I used to be proud of Canada, in the sense that we were a people with a quiet humility. But empty nationalism has really increased over the years, especially among kids. Kids who do not understand that a big part of this recent rise of patriotism is largely attributed to the federal government heavily sponsoring canadian nationalism after the near secession of the country in 1995. Does the Sponsorship Scandal ring a bell? Measures included plastering flags all over the place, subsidizing pro-canadian ads, ramping up funding of events promoting canada...etc...etc... The 'tone' really changed after that.

So basically, our canadian 'pride' indirectly comes from people who wanted to leave the country (seperatist QC) and is based on putting down our neighbors and good friends (US). How sad and depressing.

Unfortunately, a lot of ill-informed emotionally driven people refuse to admit this and keep on banging their chests about how Canada is awesome (it is, you just don't have to look so insecure about it).
Well I haven't heard the rap song (I'll check it out later), but you've pretty much nailed it on the head for a good portion.

I was out of the country during that horrible 1995 refferendum, I came back after it was over months later and the country has just never been the same.

Thanks a lot Brian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post

Thanks a lot Brian...
Brian????

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Brian????
the moron who basically divided the country for next 100 years and tore it up..

last name starts with M... hint hint...

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Thank you. These ads are quite embarassing from my POV. I'm not gonna mention that "Oh Canada" rap song from Classified. *hides face in shame*

Not only do I dislike patriotism, it gets even worse when it's fueled by putting down someone. I already look down on nationalism and pride. Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious, said Oscar Wilde. When I see people measuring their collective penis versus another country, city, religion, language, etc...it irks me even more.

When I see grown adults eyes light up at triviliaties like our healthcare system, which they have no credit for, I can't help but feel sad for them.

I used to be proud of Canada, in the sense that we were a people with a quiet humility. But empty nationalism has really increased over the years, especially among kids. Kids who do not understand that a big part of this recent rise of patriotism is largely attributed to the federal government heavily sponsoring canadian nationalism after the near secession of the country in 1995. Does the Sponsorship Scandal ring a bell? Measures included plastering flags all over the place, subsidizing pro-canadian ads, ramping up funding of events promoting canada...etc...etc... The 'tone' really changed after that.

So basically, our canadian 'pride' indirectly comes from people who wanted to leave the country (seperatist QC) and is based on putting down our neighbors and good friends (US). How sad and depressing.

Unfortunately, a lot of ill-informed emotionally driven people refuse to admit this and keep on banging their chests about how Canada is awesome (it is, you just don't have to look so insecure about it).
I am glad to know I am not the only one who has noticed a stark increase in Canadian chest-thumping. Interestingly, it coincides with a period when Canadians have probably never been more similar to their American neighbours in so many ways.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
the moron who basically divided the country for next 100 years and tore it up..

last name starts with M... hint hint...
OK.

Well I'd say the country was divided (at least in the way we are talking about) long before he, you and I were born, and that the divide is likely to persist in some way, shape or form until well after all three of us depart this earth.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK.

Well I'd say the country was divided (at least in the way we are talking about) long before he, you and I were born, and that the divide is likely to persist in some way, shape or form until well after all three of us depart this earth.
well I agree to that extent, but he screwed up with Meech, divided the country, and is the sole reason the Bloc exists.. He made the situation a million times WORSE...

I am just going to stop there cause I will go on the mother of all tirades about that *#$%#$@! it's barely the tip of the iceberg...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Well I haven't heard the rap song (I'll check it out later), but you've pretty much nailed it on the head for a good portion.

I was out of the country during that horrible 1995 refferendum, I came back after it was over months later and the country has just never been the same.

Thanks a lot Brian...
How was it different? Was the whole "Im Canadian ----> Not American" identity different beforehand? Just curious.

Was anyone here around before the flag was changed to the maple leaf? I wonder how Canada was before THAT and the switch to Canadian citizenship in 1947. Interesting stuff. I wish there were more documentaries/ programs about Canada.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 AM

287 posts, read 1,010,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Was anyone here around before the flag was changed to the maple leaf? I wonder how Canada was before THAT and the switch to Canadian citizenship in 1947. Interesting stuff. I wish there were more documentaries/ programs about Canada.
Lots of interesting clips in the CBC online archives: The Great Canadian Flag Debate | CBC Archives

Also lots of Canadian documentaries here: Watch Documentaries and Animated Films Online - NFB.ca

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My dh is from Canada and the thing that bugs me the most about the culture is that nobody ever questions anything. Everyone (I know, anyway), is very docile and just sucks everything up without complaining or questioning. They are all totally Stepford Canadians. It's very weird.

I agree Tim Horton's rocks.

20yrsinBranson
You talk about Canadians being totally Stepford?

How about all you US citizens who voted the war-mongering, idiotic Jdoubleya back in twice? Y'all think its great sitting back (Stepford style) watching all your young men and women are going off to get killed overseas in a war they will never win?

Y'all can wave your patriotic flags, but how sad that those little flags also wave on FAR FAR too many graves of your young soldiers.

Ok, if you want to call us Stepford, I see us as a peaceful country, and very wise and choosy in deciding whenand where it makes sense for our citizens to march off to war.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
You talk about Canadians being totally Stepford?

How about all you US citizens who voted the war-mongering, idiotic Jdoubleya back in twice? Y'all think its great sitting back (Stepford style) watching all your young men and women are going off to get killed overseas in a war they will never win?

Y'all can wave your patriotic flags, but how sad that those little flags also wave on FAR FAR too many graves of your young soldiers.

Ok, if you want to call us Stepford, I see us as a peaceful country, and very wise and choosy in deciding whenand where it makes sense for our citizens to march off to war.
Kind of like Chretien who sent those Canadian troops into Afghanistan and Harper who continued in this unwinnable war. Sound decision that turned out to be, eh?

I guess those actions were that of a peaceful nation and the Canadian casualties didn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada