Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM

613 posts, read 815,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
................................................ always complaining about ................Toronto ..............
A wise man once said that the only thing holding this country together was the universal detestation of Toronto.

After the SARS crisis, the rest of the country was feeling a lot of sympathy for Toronto. Rick Mercer then did a great episode soliciting Toronto residents opinions of the rest of the country. Their haughty, nasty, and insulting opinions nicely restored the previous balance.

You can only laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Most Canadians know more about America than some Americans do!
I have had one person from US that ask where i'm from. When I say Canada, they go "oh wow! What state is that?"

I agree. Canadians do seem to know alot more about the US than Americans knowledge of Canada. I doubt even half the US population could name all the Canadian provinces. For that matter I have found and I am American, that some Americans cannot place what state some large US cities are in.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree. Canadians do seem to know alot more about the US than Americans knowledge of Canada. I doubt even half the US population could name all the Canadian provinces. For that matter I have found and I am American, that some Americans cannot place what state some large US cities are in.
I wonder if that rumour is true where 20% of US could not find america on a map......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Seriously? Just take a trip up to the general US forum, there is always an argument between "the North" and "the South", and this extends outside the realm of the internet.
LOL, that statement gives me a few chuckles. I have been in 48 states in the last 3 years and what I generally find is that the majority of people could care less about what goes on in other states. I find many people so insular that they don't care much what is going on in other parts of their own state or even their own city. With Americans it seems to be, "I care what is going on in my own neighbourhood but the heck with the rest of the country!!!!"

Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM

467 posts, read 713,059 times
Quote:
I wonder if that rumour is true where 20% of US could not find america on a map......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
This video made me tear....

Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
This video made me tear....
Don't cry, man. That video was hilarious, but you could probably make a similar one in any country in the world, to be quite honest. Including Canada.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Well, that is not surprising simply because the US is a much more important high profiled country while Canada is not. Why would anyone ever need to know where Manitoba or Newfoundland are since they bear zero significance to North America, not mention the world. But if one doesn't know New York or California, he is ignorant.

I was in a traing class a few months ago where the teacher asked who is the head of the state in Canada? Only half a dozen know the correct answer among the total of about 50.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I was in a traing class a few months ago where the teacher asked who is the head of the state in Canada? Only half a dozen know the correct answer among the total of about 50.
You know it's not the Prime Minister, right?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
Not many Canadians know that answer, especially younger adults. It's kind of a trick question - people think it's the prime minister, but they're wrong.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM

613 posts, read 815,136 times
Quote:
Well, that is not surprising simply because the US is a much more important high profiled country while Canada is not. Why would anyone ever need to know where Manitoba ...........are since they bear zero significance to North America, not mention the world..................................
Here's a couple:

Louis Slotin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
.................Newfoundland ..........................

Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can add more, but I don't want to belabour the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada