Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrennan94 View Post
i find this funny. the Americans know nothing about Canada and the laws we have. since 1982 Canada has been the free and safe country of the world. we do have the right to free speech, it also comes along with the freedom of though, belief, opinion and expression. you can say whatever you want....but just like the USA, you cant walk up to a person and threaten them or walk up to a cop and call them a pig....you have to base it on your opinion.....you can say "i think your a pig" and you wont go to jail or get a fine, because here....its an expression or an opinion. Colleges and Universities in Canada are among the top in the world. Our educational system is more advanced and is open to the general public...everybody has the chance for a great education....not just the rich people with money....the "Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms" outlines the basic rights of people in the country....its what makes Canada such an amazing place to live.....living in Canada for most my life and going to visit the states....i realized that Canadians know more about the USA and every other country and all their history....like the times on enslavement...we probably know more about your presidents and your government, then you do of our entire countries legal system and how diverse and different law are from province to province. we can legally drink and buy smokes at 19, buy lottery tickets and gamble at 18, can get your smart serve and be a bartender at 18. you can get your license at 16 and sometimes earlier depending on the province you choose to live in...and minimum wage here goes from 10.25 and up in some places minimum wage is 15 bucks! we use the metric system and Americans find that crazy and weird.....but its alot better than the imperial system. and our government is in much better shape than yours...not to mention it was the Americans economical failure that impacted Canada economy to plumit . so next time you damn americans decide to write something about our country, read the "canadian Charter of rights and freedoms" and do some research. youll find that what you think you know....is wrong.....come to canada....maybe we can teach you guys something new....how about some world history....and geography...and Canadian Law....and International Law....how about World religions.....and how about learning about equal rights...and how our healthcare is paid by our government....and yours still isnt....obviously our government has figured out more than yours.
Whooee there sunshine!

A double space here and there along with some paragraph structuring would go a long way to proving at least one of your points.

I gotta tell ya though; jumping on here with this post of yours is pretty blatant and downright mean spirited. Had you bothered to read the entire thread there were only one or two posts that were designed to be antagonistic and now yours.

By the by; our government doesn't pay for our universal health care; they (Provinces and Fed's) allocate a portion of funding from our tax dollars so in that sense we are buying our Universal Health Care and keep your ears and eyes open youngster because it's in crisis mode in virtually every province with aging medical infrastructure and increasing costs.

You may be called upon to make a decision in the very near future either provincially or federally that is going to be a bitter pill to swallow and perhaps holding up the health care thingy at this point in our history as the shining light it's been in the past might not be the thing to do right now.

Lest the moderator come and smack me on the ear for dwelling on this; I suggest we leave that health care item off the keyboard for this thread.

Oh; and lighten up a bit. You're too young to have such entrenched bitterness. Stress is a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Actually "The Canadian charter of rights and freedoms" is the Canadian constitution and it makes Canada probably the freest country in the world. It's basic idea is that the rights of each person trump the rights of the state. I spend about half my time in the USA and half in Canada and Canada is a much freer country. The cops here walk on eggshells because if they abuse your rights not only are they apt to get in trouble but if you were actually breaking the law it will be thrown out of court for sure. I don't think anyone has ever been jailed for illegal TV reception. A fine is about it. We have all kinds of Canadian satellite TV and cable that you can get hundreds of stations on and many from all over the world.

Our gun laws are restrictive and most Canadians like that. That only applies to handguns though and the number of long guns per capita is higher than in the USA. We have a lot of hunters in Canada.

It's true that "hate speach" is illegal and again the Canadian people by a vast majority like this law. It's a crime just like sedition is in the USA and it has nothing to do with "The freedom of speach". In the USA spewing hatred against "Different people" has a long tradition and I feel very strongly that it has damaged the USA severely. Things that I have heard on FOX news if broadcast in Canada would result in the station loosing their licence to broadcast and possibly jail time for the bigot that was spewing forth the hate. We have fought a battle in this country for the last 40 years against racism and the war is mostly won. Lou Dobbs would also be toast here as far as his career goes.

Both Canada's and the USA's legal system are based on English "Common law" except Quebec and Louisania whos legal system is based on the French legal system. Neither countries law system is based on our constitutions. Our laws are based on our constitutions but not the system of law.

I think the main difference a person would find between the two countries is that Canadians are very laid back compared to Americans. There are very few extremists of any sort in the country. Most people are not interested in politics very much other than how it effecting them personally today. I also find that the average Canadian is much better informed about things in general both in the world and in there own country. My wife was in Tennesse last week and she asked a store clerk if such and such was valid in Canada? The clerk asked my wife,"what state is Canada in?" That would just never happen in Canada and we laugh because we run into things like that all the time in the USA. It's because the Canadian system of education is vastly superior than that of the USA. The public education is the same if you are from a working class area or from the richest area in the country. That illustrates another big difference between us. In Canada the division between the classes of society have been largely broken down. The kids of modest means really don't think the rich are any better or deserving than they are.

I'm not trying to bash the States here I'm just convinced after 56 years that Canada is light years ahead of the USA when it comes to social progress and humanism in the good sence.
lol.

On a serious note, can you give some info on the medical system there?. I have read where, if you are in critical need the govt pays for the ER visit. Here since I am a taxpayer, (unlike CEOS who get Mayo clinic premium care, and we US citizens have to pay for it) I will be getting 10 different bills from different corporations, radiologists, etc.

I am on a surgery waitlist in the US , so the propaganda that medical care in Canada is terrible is pablum I am not buying.

And of course if the GOP regime takes over in the U.S. i will prolly be losing my assets sice Im not a billionaire.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrennan94 View Post
i find this funny. the Americans know nothing about Canada and the laws we have. since 1982 Canada has been the free and safe country of the world. we do have the right to free speech, it also comes along with the freedom of though, belief, opinion and expression.
Canada does not have free speech the way the U.S. does:

In Canada: “Limits on speech were incorporated in the criminal code in relation to treason, sedition, blasphemous and defamatory libel, disruption of religious worship, hate propaganda, spreading false news, public mischief, obscenity, indecency and other forms.â€

Freedom of speech in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I miss Canada, I can't lie! Half of my family is from there and I love the people.

However, when my husband and I tried going to Alberta this past September, he was denied entry due to a misdeameanor of the 3rd degree he pleaded guilty to 7 years ago in COLORADO! According to Canadian law that kind of "crime" is a felony and you can spend up to 10 yrs in jail for it.

My jaw dropped so now unless we can clear his record here, he will unable to visit Canada and meet my relatives.

Needless to say I was shocked and disappointed...Now he just dispises Canada and I think it's funny because the trouble he got in was HIS fault. I was unaware that it'd affect him to the point where he would be denied entry. Yikes
That seems extreme to me. Why would Canada restrict entry to someone for such a minor violation?

Do other countries, besides Canada, forbid anyone who has committed a minor law violation from entering their country? Therefore, if you have committed any crime whatsoever, no matter how minor, does that mean that you can never travel outside the USA?

I love to travel, and I don't want to ever be restricted from traveling to countries outside the USA. I particularly enjoy visiting Canada, not only because it borders the USA, but because there is outstanding scenery and spectacular mountain ranges in the country. Fortunately I have never been convicted of a crime, but because I am not a perfect person, it is possible that I could make a mistake and be convicted of something illegal at some time in the future.

Canada has a team in Major League Baseball (Toronto Blue Jays) and the National Basketball Association (Toronto Raptors), and seven teams in the National Hockey League (Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver). Vancouver hosted the Winter Olympics in Feb. 2012. Many of the players who play on Canadian Football League (CFL) teams are former American collegiate players. There are minor league baseball and hockey teams throughout Canada. While the NFL does not have a team based in Canada, the Buffalo Bills play one game per season at Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Many athletes, in all sports, have been convicted of crimes, such as DUI, assaults, drug infractions, and domestic disputes. These include both athletes who are American citizens and athletes who are citizens from other countries, such as Latin American and Asian baseball players and European hockey and basketball players. The 2010 Olympics brought athletes from dozens of countries to Canada. However, I have never heard of a professional athlete who was denied admission to Canada due to a past criminal conviction. Why are athletes who have criminal convictions not denied admission to Canada?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
lucknow, Canada's system of education is superior in that it provides an equal footing to all Canadians. The public schools are of essentially equal quality throughout the country, even in poorer districts. However, the public schools in the wealthier U.S. states and specifically in the wealthier counties within those states are far superior in the quality of education provided. The district where I grew up, Fairfax County, Virginia, had a much more advanced curriculum (especially in the mathematics and sciences). They offered more subjects, more individualized programs (such as gifted & talented and learning disabled programs) and had some much nicer facilities than what I have found here in Niagara Region, Ontario. The math subjects my son is studying here in 8th grade are the same topics he learned in the U.S. in 6th grade. He receives almost no homework here in Canada. Back in the U.S. he had at least an hour of homework each night.

However, school is not just about how rigorous academics. He'll have plenty of time for that in high school. I was pleased with the attitude of the educators I met here in Niagara - they seem to genuinely care about their students, and they have a softer approach, less disciplinarian than what I encountered in the U.S.. The relative freedom and trust seems to translate into happier students, less inclined to bully each other. The kids are more social and less cliquish, at least at my son's school. The friendly atmosphere amongst classmates as reported by my son who is in eighth grade, probably strikes the balance in favor of staying in Canada.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
That seems extreme to me. Why would Canada restrict entry to someone for such a minor violation?

Do other countries, besides Canada, forbid anyone who has committed a minor law violation from entering their country? Therefore, if you have committed any crime whatsoever, no matter how minor, does that mean that you can never travel outside the USA?
Yes, the U.S. has criminal grounds of inadmissibility under section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. They can and will deny entry to the U.S. for someone who committed a "crime involving moral turpitude" (CIMT). The difference is that Canada's grounds of inadmissibility are much broader and include some offenses that are not considered morally turpitudinous under U.S. immigration law, such as driving under the influence.

However, drug offenses will bar entry to the U.S. and even suspicion of drug trafficking, with no arrests or convictions, can give the CBP officer grounds to deny entry.

Realistically speaking, Canada enforces their inadmissibility grounds to prevent "undesirables" from flooding into Canada and causing social problems in Canadian cities. They don't want busloads of "criminal types" from the U.S. entering their country, possibly staying and trying to collect welfare benefits.

I think Canada's denial of entry to people with a DUI is absurd; it would make more sense to allow them to enter but not allow them to drive. If one person with a group of friends is coming to, for example, a ski resort to spend money in Canada, it makes absolutely no sense to deny entry to someone who isn't even the driver because they got a DUI in the past.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I'm not saying this is the case in this example, but usually what gets people in deep is when they lie, or "forget" to mention offences.

Immigration officials have a great deal of latitude, and if in the first three questions you've uttered a non-truth, you're really tying the hands of the officer when it comes to discretionary options.

As to how people with previous convictions are handled, you can get a Ministerial Permit that is essentially a waiver.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
Unhappy You want to bash America eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm not trying to bash the States here I'm just convinced after 56 years that Canada is light years ahead of the USA when it comes to social progress and humanism in the good sence.
That's exactly what you are trying to do. I read this whole thread and didn't even bother to register to the site until I read your comparison of The US and Canada. I own a residence in Ontario which my mother lives in and one in Florida that I live in. I go to Canada quite often and what you are saying sounds a lot like the Canadians that I run into. They will freely say they do not like America and Americans will freely say they do not like Canada.

What it comes down to is Liberty. The OP is correct that Canada does not have "Liberty and Justice for All", they do not have the right to complain and being "used to it" and "okay with it" are 2 entirely different concepts. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am very capable of stating that I would never compare Canada to the U.S. in a positive manner. The U.S. has grown to become the most powerful and progressive country on the globe in less than 200 years because of the differences. Canada, however, is probably the least progressive and least influential country in comparison to all other countries with comparative populations.

As for education, you are correct. It's a good thing America permits and encourages home schooling, private schools, and tutors. All of which will place your American child in a higher education level than the Canadian school system. If you are poor in America it's tough, but if you are poor in Canada it is brutal.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why are athletes who have criminal convictions not denied admission to Canada?

I know someone who was denied entry into Canada due to a DUI conviction on his driving record.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalistPatriot View Post
That's exactly what you are trying to do. I read this whole thread and didn't even bother to register to the site until I read your comparison of The US and Canada. I own a residence in Ontario which my mother lives in and one in Florida that I live in. I go to Canada quite often and what you are saying sounds a lot like the Canadians that I run into. They will freely say they do not like America and Americans will freely say they do not like Canada.

What it comes down to is Liberty. The OP is correct that Canada does not have "Liberty and Justice for All", they do not have the right to complain and being "used to it" and "okay with it" are 2 entirely different concepts. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am very capable of stating that I would never compare Canada to the U.S. in a positive manner. The U.S. has grown to become the most powerful and progressive country on the globe in less than 200 years because of the differences.
As for education, you are correct. It's a good thing America permits and encourages home schooling, private schools, and tutors. All of which will place your American child in a higher education level than the Canadian school system. If you are poor in America it's tough, but if you are poor in Canada it is brutal.
I agree with you on everything...except for this part. "Canada, however, is probably the least progressive and least influential country in comparison to all other countries with comparative populations. "

For a country of less than 35 million Canada has a lot influence. Name one country with 35 million that has more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada