Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 05:44 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I would really never consider moving to Canada.
So many other countries to go to that are far more interesting and just as amazing with overall better climate.
I like the cold...my normal basal temp is 37.5, so I have a really hard time with heat.

I'm thinking of moving there myself...my mother was born in Canada, as was her parents, so I might be able to obtain citizenship.

I prefer a peaceful lifestyle, I can always travel and visit other places. My husband works in the most expensive part of one of the most expensive cities in the US, and he's witnessed several stabbings and 2 shootings in the year he's worked there, and a shooting on the public transit to get there. All within the span of a year in one little area. It's ridiculous.

And the nature is incredible in Canada. There are actually wolves there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
I would really never consider moving to Canada.
So many other countries to go to that are far more interesting and just as amazing with overall better climate.
I don't blame you once I saw your location

Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How about visiting?
I'd love to visit!

Old 02-27-2016, 06:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
I'd love to visit!
Then come on up!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Then come on up!
But wait 'til it warms up a tad, eh? Then if feeling nostalgic, maybe visit this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasaga_Beach

https://www.google.com/search?q=wasa...UQsAQIMw&dpr=1

Or if not time constrained and a bit more adventuresome, this one way over there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_B...tish_Columbia)

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...HSOAALcQsAQIGw

Not quite what you're used to but a nice change-up nevertheless.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-27-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
I was born in Toronto but spent my life from 11 years onwards in Tampa, Fl. But I do appreciate freedom of speech and I don't like the idea of censorship; I'm sorry but if I want to criticize a lifestyle or religion I will do it! So there are both positives and negatives
Just one more example you should be well aware of residing in Tampa, as this is big news down here now. Juxtaposing two really controversial topics into one current issue:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ch-about-guns/

Battle rages over Florida law limiting doctors' gun speech

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM

149 posts, read 145,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I understand where you are coming from but the first "hate speech" prosecution took place where again?

Suing Henry Ford: America's First Hate Speech Case - American Bar Foundation

While not specifically referred to as hate speech inciting to violence or "fighting words"; Henry Ford came close to being the first one found guilty of like.

You must also realize that the hate speech laws in Canada require close to the same "test" being that the speech must be inciting violence towards an individual or identifiable minority. Simply insulting someone or making racist comments does not pass the test of "hate speech".

Here's a better article that illustrates my feelings that without full freedom of the press; freedom of speech is just a popularly floated "fallacy".

https://index.rsf.org/#!/

Canada is rated number 8 while the U.S. is rated down there in the 49th spot, four places below Chile by a group of reporters who should know.

I attribute a higher relevance to the press being free to do it's job of disseminating intelligence to the masses without restrictions than I do an individual's freedom to spout off any day of the week.

JMHO though.
Okay, that makes sense. The thread was a little misleading, making it sound like Canada was very swift to prosecute any dissent towards other individuals. This clears things up for me.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Okay, that makes sense. The thread was a little misleading, making it sound like Canada was very swift to prosecute any dissent towards other individuals. This clears things up for me.
Thank you. I am very happy to have been of some service in this regard.

We are all victims of misconception from time to time, every one of us.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 983 times
What about college? I'm considering going to culinary school. What are the guidelines for American students going to college in canada?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrate'sSandal View Post
What about college? I'm considering going to culinary school. What are the guidelines for American students going to college in canada?
Oh boy; have I got a recommendation for you!

Check out this place situated right at the entrance to Granville Island, Vancouver, B.C.

Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts - Bistro 101 - Vancouver, British Columbia

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...C30QoioIpgEwCg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada