Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I have NO problem whatsoever with licensing of guns. In fact I've stated before that a criminal check and a safety course should be a requirement.

The terrorist comparison is dumb just as a car comparison is dumb. There are a handful of a terrorists in the USA while there are millions upon millions of cars and guns, so of course there will be more deaths by cars and guns. That doesn't mean that they are as bad as terrorists or even as dangerous. They aren't.
Sorry but the stats re; firearms say otherwise.

Gun Enthusiasts kill 50 times as many Americans as Terrorists, Wolverine Cartoon – Kick! Making Politics Fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
I have NO problem whatsoever with licensing of guns. In fact I've stated before that a criminal check and a safety course should be a requirement.

The terrorist comparison is dumb just as a car comparison is dumb. There are a handful of a terrorists in the USA while there are millions upon millions of cars and guns, so of course there will be more deaths by cars and guns. That doesn't mean that they are as bad as terrorists or even as dangerous. They aren't.
The car comparison was your argument

Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The car comparison was your argument
I know. It's still dumb which is why I used it to show how dumb the gun comparison is. Absolute numbers mean very little. millions of people die from car accidents each year, but only 1000s die from terrorism, but no one is going to say cars are more dangerous. Or that gun enthusiasts are more dangerous than terrorists. If you or anyone seriously thinks terrorists are less dangerous, phone ISIS and ask to hang out with them on their next suicide bombing mission. I'll hang out with my hunter friends, and then we'll see who comes back alive.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
I know. It's still dumb which is why I used it to show how dumb the gun comparison is. Absolute numbers mean very little. millions of people die from car accidents each year, but only 1000s die from terrorism, but no one is going to say cars are more dangerous. Or that gun enthusiasts are more dangerous than terrorists. If you or anyone seriously thinks terrorists are less dangerous, phone ISIS and ask to hang out with them on their next suicide bombing mission. I'll hang out with my hunter friends, and then we'll see who comes back alive.
It's the kids you have to worry about.

2-Year-Old Accidentally Shoots And Kills Mother In Walmart; What We Can Learn From This Tragedy – Concealed Nation

Guns in the home proving deadly for kids

In the developed world, 87 percent of children younger than 14 killed by firearms live in the United States. More American children and teenagers died from gunfire in 2010—a single year—than U.S. troops in Afghanistan since 2001.

Gun deaths in children: Statistics show firearms endanger kids despite NRA safety programs.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Cool, that's why I think the USA should require safety courses like we do in Canada. Death and accident rates are dropping, but they need to keep dropping.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
Here in the US, too many irresponsible people own guns. I am not against the ownership of firearms, or what we call "the 2nd amendment". However, I like the idea of a mandatory gun safety course. Too many irresponsible and unfortunate accidents happen and it ruins it for the rest who are responsible owners.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
I liked reading through this thread. It was very informative. I admit, I was one of those people who believed that Canada is basically just a "northern state" in terms of how similar it is to the US but I see that there are quite a bit of differences, which I think is a positive thing.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:45 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
America is the "Jack Reacher" (the movie) of nations. Great to have on your side in a fight, but you don't want him around your family. You don't want him in your house, and you sure don't want him around your womenfolk.
I don't mind my country being compared to Jack Reacher. If you've read the books and not just watched the movie, you'd know that he does not hurt women, he saves them from evil men. I can't always protect my loved ones by smiling politely and saying "please." Sometimes you need a tough guy.

Quote:
China is passing us by, and that's not a good thing for the world IMO.
Not very quickly they're not. China's per capita GDP converted at purchasing power parity is around $13,000, and the U.S. is around $56,000. Have you ever tried living on $13,000?

We are going through a rough patch but we will get through it. We always have.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I don't mind my country being compared to Jack Reacher. If you've read the books and not just watched the movie, you'd know that he does not hurt women, he saves them from evil men. I can't always protect my loved ones by smiling politely and saying "please." Sometimes you need a tough guy.

We are going through a rough patch but we will get through it. We always have.
I guess Canada had better content ourselves with being compared to James Bond then...oh wait, it's fictional characters we're dealing with here.......Reacher is a figment while Bond was the real deal.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information...tephenson.html

The quiet Canadian spymaster that inspired James Bond | Globalnews.ca

When it is required that someone actually be a "tough guy" to protect their loved ones rather than saying please; why would it seem to be your contention that Canada and Canadians would be somehow inferior to America in that regard?

I agree you will get through your rough patch. It's HOW you get through it that matters.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Lol, guns always seem to be cited as a differentiator when comparing lifestyles in the US vs Canada.

I think it's mainly the Southern and Midwestern US that has so much emphasis on guns. I've never touched a gun in my life, and I'd rather not. I'd rather just live in a secure high rise condo in a safe area than rely on a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada