Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,129,142 times

Advertisements

Have most Torontonians been to Vancouver? Have most Vancouverites been to Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Have most Torontonians been to Vancouver? Have most Vancouverites been to Toronto?
I think it is fairly common. Just about everyone in my family has been to the other city. I now have an Uncle that lives out west but even before he moved to Victoria we had already been out there for various reasons and at various times.

We've always flown though. I can't imagine driving that far.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
It's a 4 hour flight and there's enough demand that there are multiple direct flights between the two cities every day. Toronto's the eastern airport hub in Canada while Vancouver's the western airport hub.

People living in Vancouver don't typically travel to Toronto unless they have family there or unless they need to do business there. I don't have family in Toronto, I've never been to Toronto. I have no need to visit Toronto unless for purely touristy reasons.

But there are tons of Ontarians living in Vancouver. They all have connections back to Toronto. But if we don't include them, I wouldn't say the average Vancouverite visits Toronto.

An old UBC professor of mine from Toronto was astounded that the average Vancouver-born-and-raised student in her lecture hadn't ever been to Toronto. Something completely unfathomable I suppose to somebody born and raised in Toronto.

I imagine there are way more Toronto-born-and-raised people living in Vancouver than vice versa, but this is purely speculation.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
My two cents...

The impression I have is that when Vancouverites travel to Toronto it's mostly for business.

Whereas there are more people from Toronto (and from central and eastern Canada in general) who go to Vancouver as tourists.

Of course, all of the above excludes visits to family.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
A cursory search on Expedia shows roughly 15 direct flights per day just on Air Canada and Westjet between the two cities.

This doesn't take into account indirect connectors, charter flights, etc.

Surely someone is sitting in all those seats.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,129,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My two cents...

The impression I have is that when Vancouverites travel to Toronto it's mostly for business.

Whereas there are more people from Toronto (and from central and eastern Canada in general) who go to Vancouver as tourists.

Of course, all of the above excludes visits to family.
Is it because of Vancouver's "hot" climate compared to Toronto?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

701 posts, read 1,901,272 times
Vancouverites don't really have much reason to visit Toronto, which is a very generic North American city with not much of its own characteristics, ie. it can pass as any big city on the big screen as nothing stands out to claim "this is Toronto" except the 533 meter tall concrete tower;
On the other hand, Vancouverites tend to stay in their own small comfortable world believing (without personal experiencing) everything they have is the "best" already and there is really no need to go anywhere else. "We are not the biggest but we are the best".
That's my understanding.
I have a 50+ yo Toronto born coworker who has never been to even Ottawa or Montreal, not to mention Vancouver. It is not he doesn't travel. He does a lot in Europe and other continents, but just not so much in Canada. Guess it all depends.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Rightly or wrongly, Vancouver is viewed by most people as a much more attractive tourist destination than Toronto is: nicer esthetically (especially scenery-wise), nicer climate (in a Canadian context at least) and a more laid-back atmosphere.

Of course, these are all perceptions. But they are part of the reason people will fly all the way across the country to go to see Vancouver. Few people comparatively would do the same in the other direction just to "see" Toronto.

Although there is tons of stuff to do in Toronto, probably more than in Vancouver...

Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 PM

14 posts, read 85,286 times
I live in Toronto (most of my life) and lived in Vancouver for a year in my late teens.

It seemed to me that most people I met in Vancouver had a pretty poor opinion of Toronto even though none that I met actually ever been to Toronto. This seems to be common to me when it comes to the largest city in a country. Ask anyone in say France that doesn't live in Paris what they think of it and they will probably tell you a bunch of negative stuff about it. Ask anyone in America that doesn't live in NYC what they think about it and you'll probably hear 20 reasons why they'd NEVER live there even though that's not what you asked them. Toronto has this same problem as most Canadian see it as this BIG BAD city which of course it isn't.

On the other hand most people that i know in Toronto have a good opinion of Vancouver as we realize that they have something we don't and vice versus and there's no reason to talk bad about it.

To answer your question, have most people in these cities vistited eachother... I would say that's a big NO.

1. They are 5000km+ apart
2. The flights are expensive so unless you have family or business to attend there's a good chance you fly somewhere closer, warmer, etc.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM

19 posts, read 39,479 times
Someone said above that Vancouverites basically only travel to Toronto for business and I think that's correct for the most part (or family for that matter).
If you've ever been to Vancouver, you can see that it's such a beautiful city. Going to Toronto would only be good for that "big city feeling" which includes, well, a lot of business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada