Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

What American TV affiliates do Canadians get? For instance, I know people in say Niagara Falls ON get Buffalo TV stations(2,4,7, etc.) or people in Windsor get the Detroit TV stations(2,4,7, etc.). Do people in say Kingston, Brockville and Belleville ON get TV stations from Watertown and Syracuse NY? Do people in Sherbrooke and Montreal PQ get TV stations from Burlington VT and Plattsburgh NY? So on and so forth.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
I'm in Toronto and I get a Cleveland affiliate station along with Buffalo.. but I think that's about it.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:08 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What American TV affiliates do Canadians get? For instance, I know people in say Niagara Falls ON get Buffalo TV stations(2,4,7, etc.) or people in Windsor get the Detroit TV stations(2,4,7, etc.). Do people in say Kingston, Brockville and Belleville ON get TV stations from Watertown and Syracuse NY? Do people in Sherbrooke and Montreal PQ get TV stations from Burlington VT and Plattsburgh NY? So on and so forth.......

The question about cross-border signal proliferation is much less significant in this day and age of cable and satellite providers.

However, back in the era of the roof-top antenna, access to US signals did add some variety to the TV menu. My youth may not have been complete if I'd not been exposed to the WKBW's (#4, Buffalo) nightly recounts of the fires in North Tonawanda.

Not sure what stations Kingston and areas east receive, but west of Kingston you were more likely to get stations out of Rochester, NY.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Back before extensive cable (I'm talking about the 80's), we used to get Seattle and Bellingham stations in Vancouver.

Nowadays you can get pretty much any station from anywhere in Canada or the USA if you have the right package.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Back before extensive cable (I'm talking about the 80's), we used to get Seattle and Bellingham stations in Vancouver.

Nowadays you can get pretty much any station from anywhere in Canada or the USA if you have the right package.
I believe he's talking standard cable.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 AM

157 posts, read 574,286 times
I'm in Montreal, and these are the American stations that we get:

ABC 22 - Colchester, VT
CBS - WCAX, Burlington, VT
NBC - WPTZ, Plattsburgh, NY
FOX 44 - Colchester, VT

We also get two PBS stations from the States, as well as A&E.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:28 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
In Canada’s capital region (Ottawa and Eastern Ontario and Gatineau and Western Quebec), the cable operators carry Detroit stations for the four major American networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).

This is new from a few years ago, when some Canadian cable operators moved to carrying stations from larger cities, instead of stations closer to them regardless of city size.

Throughout most of the 80s and 90s, Ottawa and Gatineau cable carried stations from Rochester for ABC, CBS and NBC. So much so that most people my age who grew up in Ottawa in those decades would be familiar with the classic House of Guitar ads
and the phone number of Rochester’s Sawyer School: 244-1290.

Though I think it may technically be closer to Ottawa than Rochester, we never got Syracuse stations.

Prior to getting the Rochester stations, Ottawa-Gatineau got WWNY out of Watertown, NY as the only commercial U.S. station carried, which was actually an interesting creature: it was affiliated with all three big networks, ABC, CBS and NBC, and used to pick and choose the best shows from each network.

Ottawa-Gatineau has pretty much always gotten the PBS station from northern New York state that broadcasts dually from Watertown and Norwood. Used to be WNPE-WNPI, but is now WPBS I think.

What Lady Augusta said for Montreal is true for most of the rest of Quebec (except for Gatineau and environs), with stations from Plattsburgh, NY and Colchester, VT (actually this is a suburb of Burlington).

Most of Atlantic Canada used to get stations from Bangor, ME, but I think cable operators there have moved on to superstations from Boston for the most part.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada’s capital region (Ottawa and Eastern Ontario and Gatineau and Western Quebec), the cable operators carry Detroit stations for the four major American networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).

This is new from a few years ago, when some Canadian cable operators moved to carrying stations from larger cities, instead of stations closer to them regardless of city size.

Throughout most of the 80s and 90s, Ottawa and Gatineau cable carried stations from Rochester for ABC, CBS and NBC. So much so that most people my age who grew up in Ottawa in those decades would be familiar with the classic House of Guitar ads
and the phone number of Rochester’s Sawyer School: 244-1290.

Though I think it may technically be closer to Ottawa than Rochester, we never got Syracuse stations.

Prior to getting the Rochester stations, Ottawa-Gatineau got WWNY out of Watertown, NY as the only commercial U.S. station carried, which was actually an interesting creature: it was affiliated with all three big networks, ABC, CBS and NBC, and used to pick and choose the best shows from each network.

Ottawa-Gatineau has pretty much always gotten the PBS station from northern New York state that broadcasts dually from Watertown and Norwood. Used to be WNPE-WNPI, but is now WPBS I think.

What Lady Augusta said for Montreal is true for most of the rest of Quebec (except for Gatineau and environs), with stations from Plattsburgh, NY and Colchester, VT (actually this is a suburb of Burlington).

Most of Atlantic Canada used to get stations from Bangor, ME, but I think cable operators there have moved on to superstations from Boston for the most part.
Wow! WWNY(channel 7) is now a CBS affiliate and there was a time until the 80's where it did carry things from NBC and ABC too for a time. I remember back in 1983 while in Kingston with my family, we got the ABC affiliate from Syracuse at the hotel we were staying at(WSYR-9, was WIXT-9 back then). We used to get CKWS channel 11 from Kingston on the local cable here until the late 80's. You could get that and channel 15(a French station? maybe CHOT out of now Gatineau) on TV's without cable. You could also get WNPE(the Watertown are PBS station), the Utica-Rome stations(channels 2-WKTV NBC and 20-WUTR ABC) without cable in the Syracuse area too.

When I was going to Oswego State, we would get CKWS on the cable there and this was in the late 90's. When I was stationed at Fort Drum, just outside of Watertown, we would get CKWS and I believe channel 6 from Ottawa(I believe it is 43 up there on a regular TV). When we would go to the field fro training, I would bring a pocket TV and would get CityTv sometimes too. I believe that Ottawa has an affiliate on channel 65 that I would get.

I went to Michigan State in the mid 90's and would get Channel 7(CBC) from Windsor on the cable system there.

As for the stations you guys get in your areas, I'm not surprised. I was wondering if people in the Maritimes got stations from Bangor and Portland Maine. Boston stations make sense too. I wonder if they get WSBK, like we used to here in Syracuse?

I knew about the Plattsburgh/Burlington area TV stations in regards to Montreal. I didn't know about the Rochester TV stations broadcasting in Ottawa though. Interesting, as Syracuse is closer.

Out West, I can see stations from Bellingham and the Seattle area being broadcast in British Columbia. Maybe a TV station from Spokane is as well. I'm thinking that the TV stations in International Falls and Duluth Minnesota are broadcasted in Manitoba and Western Ontario. Maybe a TV station from Minot or Grand Forks ND are shown in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Maybe a TV station from Montana(Glendive, Lewistown, Kalispell, Havre, Great Falls, Missoula and Helena) or Idaho(Lewiston/Moscow) is shown in Alberta or eastern BC.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Acajack:

So much so that most people my age who grew up in Ottawa in those decades would be familiar with the classic House of Guitar ads

That's the Great House of Guitars -------and their Easter Rabbit ----Hop Hop Hop (645 Titus Ave for those heading that way)

Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
That's the Great House of Guitars -------and their Easter Rabbit ----Hop Hop Hop (645 Titus Ave for those heading that way)
I'm still surprised you guys would get TV stations from Rochester instead of Syracuse. Man, so you guys don't remember the commercials from the Bebop Shop in Liverpool? It was a guitar and music store that would have commercials on late night during the late movie on Saturday night from our CBS affiliate WTVH-5. It sounds like the place in Rochester is very similar.

Those familiar with the Syracuse TV stations and the area, here's some old school videos you might like: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Syracuse Nostalgia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-27-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada