U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,938,180 times

Advertisements

is it common for them to visit the mother country? what are some differences? do they find some of their habits, like eating es cargo, peculiar?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 6,260,265 times
It's about as common as Americans visiting their "mother country" England.

The differences are about the same as well.

What are the differences between England and the USA? Do Americans find English eating habits peculiar, like fish n chips?

Like the USA and England, Quebec and France have had 400+ years apart from one another to form completely separate cultures and habits.

Although in Quebec, French eating habits are more prominent than anywhere else in North America. By that I mean there's a tendency to have patisseries and boulangeries serving eclaires and pain au chocolat. And foie gras and an assortment of fine cheese and red wines is pretty standard.

If you pick up a good book about Quebec, you'll immediately begin to realize that what you're asking will take a lifetime to answer as there is no one right answer.

p.s. You may want to seek a Quebecois forum to ask your questions as well - there really isn't a big Quebecois presence on City-Data so your answers are going to be very limited.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM

25,722 posts, read 33,889,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post

p.s. You may want to seek a Quebecois forum to ask your questions as well - there really isn't a big Quebecois presence on City-Data so your answers are going to be very limited.
Hey wait a minute Robynator, I am here!

To answer the question, opinions on France and French people vary widely in Quebec. But you will never find indifference.

Certainly, most Québécois do not consider themselves to be just like people in France. There are similarities for sure but also many differences.

The usual word for the relationship is “cousin”, and you hear the expressions “nos cousins français” and “nos cousins québécois” on both sides of the Atlantic all the time.

On the whole, French people can be said to be well-liked in Quebec, and immigration from France is seen as an easy way for Quebec to prop up its francophone population. And that is indeed the case: most years France is consistently near the top or the top country of origin for immigrants to Quebec. There are some people in Quebec who do find that Frenchmen can be pompous and arrogant and look down on the Québécois (especially speech and accent-wise) but on the whole people from France fit in very well here.

“Admiration” for France depends on who you talk to, and I find it varies according to social class. Upper crust Québécois tend to be more enamoured with things French and European in general, from music to movies to fashion to food and wine culture. Working-class Québécois tend to be more purely Québécois-focused and more North American in their lifestyles and tastes.

Of course, French stuff does influence the working class, and the upper crust has many North American traits as well.

I am not originally from Quebec though I have lived here for many years and find the people to be a mix between the two sides of the Atlantic.

With the exception of Quebec itself and New England (closest ocean beaches to Quebec!), France is the most popular summer vacation destination in Quebec.

Many Quebec artists try their luck in Paris once they have gone as far as they can go in their home market. Quebec actors, singers, comics and writers appear regularly on French talk shows, and French celebrities are frequently on Quebec talk shows as well. Montreal is often part of the promotional circuit for French authors, film people and music acts.

Books from France occupy a decent amount of space in Quebec bookstores and on best-seller lists, though not as much as Quebec books.

Usually at least a few times a year French movies will top the Quebec
box office for a period. I find that the amount of music from France you hear on the radio here has declined in recent years (though you still hear some), but I think this has to do with the boom in original Quebec music that has taken up a lot more space of late. Older French stuff like Charles Aznavour, Edith Piaf, Michel Fugain, Francis Cabrel, etc. is still very popular in Quebec.

Most native French speakers in Quebec do not have any relatives in France (other than someone from Quebec who has gone there to work or study), and as such our families are not overseas branches of families that still have portions left behind in the old country. I myself am mostly of French origin on both sides and neither of my families have had any family contacts with France in the past 300 years.

Yes, there are some things about France that people in Quebec find bizarre just as other North Americans do: there are the usual jokes about bathing, about women with unshaved armpits and dog poop on the sidewalks.

On the other hand, eating escargots is very, very common in Quebec, as is spending hours at the dinner table, and wine (particularly red) is much more common at everyday meals and not just for special occasions.

We also kiss on both cheeks when meeting friends and acquaintances.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Acajack to save the day!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM

25,722 posts, read 33,889,011 times
Quote:
Acajack to save the day!
Just doing my part to make sure my personal version of the truth gets out there!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM

43 posts, read 168,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just doing my part to make sure my personal version of the truth gets out there!
As a Québécois, I can say that you are pretty much bang on.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,983,375 times
Quote:
Acajack to save the day!
He's like a resident C-D mountie! Good job explaining the differences Aca!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:52 AM

793 posts, read 1,353,016 times
Quote:
Although in Quebec, French eating habits are more prominent than anywhere else in North America. By that I mean there's a tendency to have patisseries and boulangeries serving eclaires and pain au chocolat. And foie gras and an assortment of fine cheese and red wines is pretty standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On the other hand, eating escargots is very, very common in Quebec, as is spending hours at the dinner table, and wine (particularly red) is much more common at everyday meals and not just for special occasions.
Above are just a few of the many reasons why I absolutely adore Quebec. The food and wine culture is very similar to many places in Europe. I still dream about every one of my meals at Au Pied de Cochon and their Foie Gras selection.

I remember how shocking it was to see that after my meal I was also able to purchase a Lobe of Foie Gras for around $50, it would be almost double here in Boston.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
I remember how shocking it was to see that after my meal I was also able to purchase a Lobe of Foie Gras for around $50, it would be almost double here in Boston.
And it's so common too, like even at the most unassuming neighbourhoods and areas, your run-of-the-mill deli sells what would constitute "high end gourmet" cheeses, meats, pates, and desserts. Anywhere else in North American and you'd have to find this kind of stuff at a gourmet specialty shop. In Quebec "specialty" is the norm!

It's all pretty fantastic.

And it's making me hungry!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,161,516 times
I was just scrolling through and saw this thread. Several years ago I visited Montreal and Quebec City and absolutely fell in love with the cities. There is a beautiful print of the chateau in Quebec City hanging next to my computer. I'm hoping for a return visit one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada