Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,440 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I joined this forum solely for the aid of helping me with what is currently the biggest choice I could make in my life.

I live in a small 2000 pop. town in southern Ontario, with London, ON as my closest city. I'm 18 and post secondary education is my next step, I wish to pursue in graphic design and further media/arts studies later on. I have applied to 3 Ontatio community colleges for the September 2010 semester.

Recently, I have grown alot of interest in getting away from home, away from Ontario even, so I looked for possible alternatives until I found something that really caught my eye! The Vancouver College of Art and Design (VCAD) located in downtown Vancouver offers graphic design diploma from just April 2010 to July 2011 whereas the community colleges I applied for would be from September 2010 to May 2013 with summer breaks in between. If I were to choose VCAD and move to Vancouver I would not only get to experience a whole new world (in a city and another part of Canada) but I would also have a Graphic Design Diploma nearly 2 years sooner!

The problem however, is I'm not completely sure this is a great idea. What concerns me is the cost of Vancouver living, being on my own nearly 4000km away from knowing anyone, and finally how little knowledge I know about Vancouver. In the end I know its my decision but the choice is hard and if anyone has any input or possible answer to my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Rod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,254,788 times
Hi Rod! Others with knowledge on Vancouver will provide that advice - I'll give you a couple of points to ponder. I don't want to discourage you, but would suggest two things to consider - the novelty of living that far from home might wear off rather quickly. Or it might not - it depends on how independent you are already (mentally). Also, prepare for a huge cuture shock - moving from a small town in Ontario to a huge city like Vancouver will be another adjustment.

So other considerations (financial, logistics, getting to know a new city) aside, you have to look at how tied you are emotionally to your friends and family in ON. As a student you would make loads of new friends - so don't worry about that.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 12-03-2009 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM

19 posts, read 90,709 times
Vancouver is a beautiful city and compared to other major cities in Canada I don't think the cost of living is really much higher - pretty comparable. If VCAD has student housing that might be a good option and one that is cheaper than renting an apartment. Also good way to meet lots of other students and make friends fast. Being a long way from home could be a bit scary, but it's only for a year. I think it would be an awesome experience. And there are always phone calls and flights home at Christmas.

If you are still considering other options you might also want to look at ACAD (Alberta College of Art and Design) in Calgary. Very well respected art school. Not sure what they have for graphic design programs, but might be worth a look.

Whatever you choose make the most of your college experience. Had some of the best times in my life in University. Good luck and welcome to Canada!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM

19 posts, read 90,709 times
Oh, one more side note. VCAD would be a good choice because is considered one of the film/TV hubs of Canada (maybe even more so than Toronto). Lots of film studios, etc so I think there would good intership possibilties and job opportunities when you graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada