Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

I like looking at the old part of Montreal on street view, it looks like Europe but you have big American cars parked on the street.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=quebec...,216.86,,0,5.4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Does Montreal have a more "European feel" compared to Boston and Washington?
The layout and architecture of Montreal is perhaps only slightly more European than that of Boston and DC, but the local culture, lifestyle and attitudes in Montreal would be more European in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, friends, there seems to be some interest here in whether Quebec is more like France or more like the rest of North America.

To follow up on this thread and others
//www.city-data.com/forum/canada/826955-what-do-quebecois-think-france.html
... I decided to make a list of typical Quebec stuff and to label each item as being more typical of North America or Europe.

Here goes...

Qc has lower obesity rates than the rest of Canada and N America (along with BC – perhaps Robynator can explain why) – Europe

Qc women almost never wear baseball caps – Europe

Qc has fewer people who wear white running shoes and more people wearing dress shoes generally than elsewhere in North America – Europe

In Qc it is common to see people wearing shorts in the summertime, even in urban settings – North America

...but they are much less likely to wear running shoes and white socks with the shorts, with sandals preferred – Europe

In Qc you find typical North American dependence on consumer debt to acquire stuff – North America

Qc has much higher level of unionization in labour than North America – Europe (esp. France)

In Qc there is a greater public tolerance of high taxation levels - Europe

Qc has a much higher percentage of common law households with children – Europe (esp. Scandinavia)

Qc has a higher abortion rate than elsewhere in N America – Europe

It also has much lower church attendance – Europe

Outside of old city centres of Montreal and Quebec City, the dominant urban form is suburban sprawl – North America

...but Quebec suburbs are denser than elsewhere in North America and have a greater mix of housing types, often on the same street – Europe

Except for inner city Montrealers, people in Qc tend to drive everywhere – North America

There are few good intercity land transport options other than the private car – North America

There is near-unanimous public support for gun control – Europe

Hunting, fishing, boating, ATVing and snowmobiling are very popular pursuits for men – North America

Qc has the “new world” mentality with respect to social class that is more focused on what a person can do rather than on his/her origins – North America

Two straight guys dancing together in a non-gay nightclub in Qc will not get kicked out – Europe

Qc in general has a higher tolerance for homosexuality – Europe

Qc favours a rehabilitative approach to juvenile delinquency and crime as opposed to a
repressive one – Europe

Qc has a much lower violent crime rate than the N American average – Europe

Nudity on mainstream TV can occasionally be seen at any time of day, and frequently in prime time in Qc – Europe

Sexual (though not explicit) content is common on mainstream prime time TV in Qc – Europe

University tuition is much, much less expensive in Qc than most anywhere in N America – Europe

People in Qc are twice as likely to buy/drink wine as other Canadians and much less likely to drink hard liquor and spirits – Europe

Qc has the paradox of wider access to alcohol (lower and flexible drinking age and sales in corner/grocery stores) but lower alcoholism rates – Europe (esp. France)

Qc has higher suicide rates than the rest of North America – Europe (esp. Scandinavia)

Qc has higher high school dropout rates than Europe and generally lower educational achievement – North America

Obsessive pacifism and opposition to wars are dominant views in Qc – Europe

In Qc there is near-unanimous public and political support for strong reductions in greenhouse gas emissions – Europe
Well you have so many questions I don't know where to start .

Well people in Quebec do dress very preppy you never see anyone in sweatpants , trackpants , t-shirt and shorts in public.

If they do wear shorts it cargo shorts and if it is t-shirt is small fitted one and nice one.

People in Quebec
drink more and party more than any place in Canada or the US .

In Quebec they censor the TV and radio has most of that has to be non English. In Quebec you not allowed to send you kid to English school.

The
Hunting, fishing, boating, ATVing is more country and suburb thing than city thing.

Well
University tuition is very cheap and more people go to University than any place in Canada or the US but there much higher youth unemployment there.

Also people in
Quebec have very strong accent that very different from any where else in Canada and the US.And yes you wont find many people who drive SUV or pick up truck there.

On the last note many people in
Quebec hate Canada and will like to have their own country .

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

In Quebec they censor the TV and radio has most of that has to be non English.
There is no ''censorship'' of English radio and TV in Quebec, and broadcast regulations are federal in Canada so they are the same in Quebec as in the rest of the country.

There are lots of radio and TV options in French in Quebec because of demand.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
In Quebec you not allowed to send you kid to English school.

There are many public English schools in Quebec but you have to be an English-speaking Canadian to send your kid to them.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Well
University tuition is very cheap and more people go to University than any place in Canada or the US but there much higher youth unemployment there.

This is a blanket statement. It is likely higher than many places but also lower than others. I'd like to see the numbers.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM

408 posts, read 607,401 times
Quote:
Well you have so many questions I don't know where to start .

Well people in Quebec do dress very preppy you never see anyone in sweatpants , trackpants , t-shirt and shorts in public.

If they do wear shorts it cargo shorts and if it is t-shirt is small fitted one and nice one.

People in Quebec
drink more and party more than any place in Canada or the US .

In Quebec they censor the TV and radio has most of that has to be non English. In Quebec you not allowed to send you kid to English school.

The
Hunting, fishing, boating, ATVing is more country and suburb thing than city thing.

Well

Also people in
Quebec have very strong accent that very different from any where else in Canada and the US.And yes you wont find many people who drive SUV or pick up truck there.

On the last note many people in
Quebec hate Canada and will like to have their own country .
Please refrain from sharing your Quebec insights. They're preposterous. Not fair for OP.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I've been very fortunate to have had close friends in Quebec (Filipino immigrants) for nearly twenty years, built around four sisters who emigrated after the fall of Marcos; they've all found spouses and established families. I suspect that this family's strong Catholic faith was a major factor in their decision to relocate to Montreal, but that was only one factor, and everyone's story is different.

The OP's observations, while a little too generalistic, are usually on their mark. it needs to be understood that, as with the American state of Louisiana and the Republic of Lebanon, the complexity of both Quebec politics and social life is matched by very few other societies.

Francophones constitute a little less than half (and a declining proportion) of the population of Greater Montreal, but in the rural areas (and Quebec provincial towns are laid out in a manner very similar to French villages) they dominate. So local politics are multinational, but provincial politics still favor the French, who keep trying to leave Canada, but have been narrowly voted down in several referendae.

So. my "Filipino crew" has no choice but to send their kinds to French-speaking schools, and while several of them have a fair degree of professional skills, these aren't worth too much since their credentials aren't recognized. My "nephews and nieces by proxy" speak French, English and Ilocano (one of the sixteen Philippine dialects).

So somehow, it works, and every trip I've made to La Belle Provence has served to reaffirm my confidence in the ability of the human species to adapt to just about anything. The biggest "sore losers" I've encountered (and not many of them), are mostly older, more-isolated French-speakers who are disappointed that their attempts to legislate their values aren't bringing them the Promised Land they were led to expect.

But comments like the one below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Please refrain from sharing your Quebec insights. They're preposterous. Not fair for OP.
serve as a reminder that too many of us still see the control of government as the principal means to get our way at somebody else's expense, and will try to silence those who don't agree.

To Juliana, Carmelita, Marlene and Victoria, -- hats off, thanks, and God bless; you are what it's all about.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-22-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I've been very fortunate to have had close friends in Quebec (Filipino immigrants) for nearly twenty years, built around four sisters who emigrated after the fall of Marcos; they've all found spouses and established families. I auapect that this family's strong Catholic faith was a major factor in their decision ro relocate to Montreal, but that was only one factor, and everyone's story is different.

The OP's observations, while a little too generalistic, are usually on their mark. it needs to be understood that, as with the American state of Louisiana and the Republic of Lebanon, the complexity of Quebec politics is matched by very few other societies.

Francophones constitute a little less than half (and a declining proportion) of the population of Greater Montreal, but in the rural areas (and Quebec provincial towns are laid out in a manner very similar to French villages) they dominate. So local politics are multinational, but provincial politics still favor the French, who keep trying to leave Canada, but have been narrowly voted down in several referendae.

So. my "Filipino crew" has no choice but to send their kinds to French-speaking schools, and while several of them have a fair degree of professional skills, these aren't worth too much since their credentials aren't recognized. My "nephews and nieces by proxy" speak French, English and Ilocano (one of the sixteen Philippine dialects).

So somehow, it works, and every trip I've made to La Belle Provence has served to reaffirm my confidence in the ability of the human species to adapt to just about anything. The biggest "sore losers" I've encountered (and not many of them, are mostly older, more-isolated French-speakers who are disappointed that their attempts to legislate their values aren't bringing them the Promised Land they expected.

But comments like the one below:

serve as a reminder that too many of us still see the contol of government as the principal means to get our way at somebody else's expense, and will try to silence those who don't agree.

To Juliana, Carmelita, Marlene and Victoria, -- hats off, thanks, and God bless; you are what it's all about.
Good comments.

The only correction I wish to make is that francophones still make up about 70% of the population of Greater Montreal. They also make up 60-70% of the population of Montreal the city proper.

Where the percentage is lower is when you isolate the "island of Montréal". On the island of Montreal you have the city proper that makes up maybe three quarters of the island, plus many smaller suburban municipalities where most of the anglo and much of the immigrant population is concentrated. If you take the island only it is maybe 50% francophone (or just under), 25% anglo and 25% other languages.

But Greater Montreal is a lot bigger than just the island and includes almost as much population in areas just off the island as it does on it. Much of the off-island population (generally very predominantly francophone) is actually closer to downtown Montreal and more urban than many far-flung parts of the island.

Another point is that immigrant origin groups are roughly divided half and half these days between those who are more French oriented and those who are more English oriented. Perhaps of late one can even say there is a slight edge to French, and this edge to French oriented immigrants seems to be growing.

As you said - Montreal and Quebec are fascinatingly complex places.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Looks like a bunch of stereotypes and generalizations to me sweat209

Quote:

Well [/font][/font][/font][/font]University tuition is very cheap and more people go to [font=Times New Roman][font=Arial]University than any place in Canada or the US but there much higher youth unemployment there.
Maybe there is high youth unemployment rate because they have alot of people who attend school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada