Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
That may be true but i've never heard most people say they prefer to live in british weather as was the original comparisons being made.

Frankly from what i've heard the number 1 reason the UK has so many expats (mainly in spain and france) is that they'll do anything to escape their weather. Of course with your ridiculously flippant attitude i'm sure you know so much more than anyone else in this "asinine" thread.

In fact why are you even waisting your time on this website? you should be out and about spreading your knowledge and joy to the masses, on with you good sir!
I repped you in the crime thread, but you're way off base here. Anyway, you're free to believe whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Regarding British people who apparently like Canada's climate (or at least the climate of southern Ontario)...

I'd say they like certain aspects of it, like the fact that in winter although quite a bit colder, there is at least more sunshine than in the gloomy UK. Not sure they are crazy about the cold but the fact there is more sun is not a bad trade-off for a lot of them.

And Brits in general tend to absolutely LOVE summers in Ontario, which are much warmer and sunnier than summers in the UK. Once again, it's a trade-off.

Anyway, just reporting what I've been told by British people living here.

On the other hand, as a climactic refuge from the UK, Canada pales in comparison to Australia.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Did Canada (especially pre-independence) have more restrictive immigration laws compared to the US in the past? Did Canada economically on a per capita basis have a weaker economy than the US? I know that much immigration to Canada in the past ended up with people jumping ship southwards to the US but I don't really know the reason why (sure, it's warmer but what other causes were there?).

Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I know that much immigration to Canada in the past ended up with people jumping ship southwards to the US but I don't really know the reason why (sure, it's warmer but what other causes were there?).
I have several friends who did exactly that, and let me tell you why. It is all about job and money.

The US has a much large economy and provides much more opportunities in terms of career and city choice. For highly skilled professionals, you make a lot more money in the US, and cost of living is significantly higher.

Canada has the advantage of being safer and having a better safety net. However, these are simply not important to most immigrants, especially mid-to-higher income demographics. If a city has more crimes, they can simply live in a safe neighbourhood; safety net is only a big concern for those who often risk being unemployed or being poor. Highly motivated people don't care about social welfare. Actually they end up paying for that.

Let's face it, Canada will always be a second choice when it comes to where to immigrate when the US is an option, at least for the vast majority of people. Weather and jobs are two paramount limiting factors.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM

408 posts, read 607,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have several friends who did exactly that, and let me tell you why. It is all about job and money.

The US has a much large economy and provides much more opportunities in terms of career and city choice. For highly skilled professionals, you make a lot more money in the US, and cost of living is significantly higher.

Canada has the advantage of being safer and having a better safety net. However, these are simply not important to most immigrants, especially mid-to-higher income demographics. If a city has more crimes, they can simply live in a safe neighbourhood; safety net is only a big concern for those who often risk being unemployed or being poor. Highly motivated people don't care about social welfare. Actually they end up paying for that.

Let's face it, Canada will always be a second choice when it comes to where to immigrate when the US is an option, at least for the vast majority of people. Weather and jobs are two paramount limiting factors.

This sums it up nicely. These are the kinds of points that might ruffle the feathers of some Canadians, but it's the absolute truth. If you are a dynamic individual who is ready to assume risks (most immigrants obviously are) then the U.S. offers the prospect of a richer, fuller life than Canada.

Full disclosure: I'm Canadian.

I might add that most of Canada is virtually uninhabitable, so it's size is a little misleading. In terms of livable space Canada on a map should be viewed as a horizontal version of Chile.

Last edited by LEFTIMAGE; 02-27-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,108 times
Lots of land is uninhabitable. Alberta only has Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray and some small towns and cities. Most of the time, Alberta is bare land.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWiththeiPhone View Post
Lots of land is uninhabitable. Alberta only has Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray and some small towns and cities. Most of the time, Alberta is bare land.

?????? lol Hardly.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM

133 posts, read 219,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Having lived both in the U.S. Northeast and in Southern Ontario I would say the winter is actually worse in places like NYC and Philly because they aren't set up to deal with it. Roads are in worse condition, there's more freezing rain/sleet because temperatures go high enough for that, and there's fewer winter activities available like sledding, ice skating, etc. so cabin fever sets in. Temperatures can dip just as low and the windchill can be horrendous there too. Southern Ontario gets more colder days, and the winter lasts a few weeks longer too, but overall I would say the "misery" is the same or worse in the northeast U.S. winter.
That's funny. Have you really convinced yourself of this nonsense? Boosterism is the lifeblood of this forum, but you've crossed into delusion now.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,730 times
On top of all the other factors mentioned, Canada was only around 3 million people when it became a country in 1867, which is also almost 90 years after the US became one. I know there's people before that, but in both cases, when the current countries became what they are now, there's another major reason!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
That's funny. Have you really convinced yourself of this nonsense? Boosterism is the lifeblood of this forum, but you've crossed into delusion now.
I saw nothing in his post that wasn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada