Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
My heavens, you're stubborn! The only reason Alberta has grown like that is because of the great prosperity oil and gas production has afforded that province.
Well, this is exactly what mikmaq meant, wanting to show that, in spite to adverse weather / climate conditions, the population of Alberta grew due to factors, other than weather/climate, in this case, strong economy.

Mikmaq's point was to show that weather/climate is not a factor of why Canada's population is so sparse.

What Mikmaq missed though is the fact that difference in weather / climate conditions in Alberta vs. Maritimes is not that big to prove his / her point. Both areas have lousy weahter. It's not that a Maritimer with poor career opportunities trades Florida- or Hawaii- or Southern California-like weather for Alberta's lousy weather but with better career opportunities.

Like I said, both Maritimes and Alberta have lousy weather. Because both areas have lousy weather, weather / climate factor plays no role anymore and other factors, like better career opportunity will be a deciding factor of where a person will settle.

Of course, an area with lousy weather but good career opportunities would seem more attractive to lots of people than an area with both lousy weather and lousy career opportunities! Therefore, population growth in the area with lousy weather but good career opportunities versus no population growth in the area with lousy weather and lousy career opportunities.

Nice try, Mikmaq!

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 09-20-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM

395 posts, read 859,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Well, this is exactly what mikmaq meant, wanting to show that, in spite to adverse weather / climate conditions, the population of Alberta grew due to factors, other than weather/climate, in this case, strong economy.

Mikmaq's point was to show that weather/climate is not a factor of why Canada's population is so sparse.
It's a realtively small factor, relative being the big word.
What Mikmaq missed though is the fact that difference in weather / climate conditions in Alberta vs. Maritimes is not that big to prove his / her point. Both areas have lousy weahter. It's not that a Maritimer with poor career opportunities trades Florida- or Hawaii- or Southern California-like weather for Alberta's lousy weather but with better career opportunities.
This is a relative statement, new york, london, detroit, boston, stockholm, or chicago, would rank poor by different people's standards as well.
Like I said, both Maritimes and Alberta have lousy weather. Because both areas have lousy weather, weather / climate factor plays no role anymore and other factors, like better career opportunity will be a deciding factor of where a person will settle.
What your not realizing is that most places around the world have imperfect weather, idealy everyone would like to live as close to room temperature as possible, but the ability and value in doing so is much smaller than many in this thread is willing to admit.
Of course, an area with lousy weather but good career opportunities would seem more attractive to lots of people than an area with both lousy typical weather and lousy career opportunities! Therefore, population growth in the area with lousy weather but good career opportunities versus no population growth in the area with lousy weather and lousy career opportunities.
Fixed for reality.
Nice try, Mikmaq!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,983 times
Whose reality? Yours?

The reality of denial? Or denial of reality?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,132,345 times
I'm sorry mikmaq i really can't see how you still think after everything that's been explained to that the climate/environment represents only a small factor "relatively" or not, to why canada's population is what it is today.

The only response i've heard from you is how in this day and age climate is not as big a factor in determining where people can live, which is true but i explained how historically for about 90% or so of canada's existence this was a big factor and the climate and environment played a huge role in demographics afffecting both birth-rates and immigration levels.

Interestingly enough if indeed the planet is warming, canada may become one of the most thought after places to live in due its location and resources. The northern regions may one day start to be better populated as the climate changes.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM

637 posts, read 1,027,373 times
Climate could have been a big factor...I don't really know, don't really care.

One thing I would like to point out is that a huge geographic area is not really
required for a big population.

Extreme example would be Bangladesh, tiny country with nearly 150 million people.
Japan isn't exactly huge either and has a population of almost 130 million.

Reason why I bring this up is that while a huge part of Canada is "too cold"
as various posters here keep mentioning, hey I agree I don't want to live on Baffin Island either
The "warmer" parts of Canada ( I know it's all relative) could theoretically
sustain a significantly higher population, 100 million? who knows maybe 200 million?

The "warmer" parts of Canada still have cold winters but aren't too
bad year round when compared with parts of europe (particularly eastern europe),
northern China, and even northern USA.

Look at other countries...

China is almost as big as Canada....but if you look at a population density map of
China you'll notice that the bulk of the huge population is in eastern China.
Most of western China is quite sparsely populated.
Strangely the USA is similiar, eastern US is much more densely populated.
Other than California and few big western cities, alot of western US is
relatively sparsely populated.
Infact over half the USA's population is located from Washington,DC to Boston area.
Just like 2/3rd's of Canada's population (about 20 million) is located from Windsor to Quebec City.
Lots of countries are like this....Brazil....Australia,
extreme example would be Egypt, 80 million people huddled up next to the Nile River,
the rest of Egypt is almost empty!

Is climate the biggest factor why Canada's population is small for it's size?
It is definitely a factor, not sure if it's the biggest factor.

Last edited by burloak; 09-20-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times
Agriculture, Industries, Mining/Mineral wealth, Transportation, Climate, Historical population, Jobs, Sea ports, Banking/Commerce activities, Migration from small towns to big cities, Immigration from around the world, Political stability.

We are no longer making new cities around the world and population growth comes around already established centers (towns, cities) based on above factors. Climate is important but so are above reasons also. Example- Climate of Dubai is as harsh as climate of Northern Territory Australia but we do not see explosive growth in Darwin like that of Dubai.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Climate could have been a big factor...I don't really know, don't really care.

One thing I would like to point out is that a huge geographic area is not really
required for a big population.

Extreme example would be Bangladesh, tiny country with nearly 150 million people.
Japan isn't exactly huge either and has a population of almost 130 million.

Reason why I bring this up is that while a huge part of Canada is "too cold"
as various posters here keep mentioning, hey I agree I don't want to live on Baffin Island either
The "warmer" parts of Canada ( I know it's all relative) could theoretically
sustain a significantly higher population, 100 million? who knows maybe 200 million?

The "warmer" parts of Canada still have cold winters but aren't too
bad year round when compared with parts of europe (particularly eastern europe),
northern China, and even northern USA.

Look at other countries...

China is almost as big as Canada....but if you look at a population density map of
China you'll notice that the bulk of the huge population is in eastern China.
Most of western China is quite sparsely populated.
Strangely the USA is similiar, eastern US is much more densely populated.
Other than California and few big western cities, alot of western US is
relatively sparsely populated.
Infact over half the USA's population is located from Washington,DC to Boston area.
Just like 2/3rd's of Canada's population (about 20 million) is located from Windsor to Quebec City.
Lots of countries are like this....Brazil....Australia,
extreme example would be Egypt, 80 million people huddled up next to the Nile River,
the rest of Egypt is almost empty!

Is climate the biggest factor why Canada's population is small for it's size?
It is definitely a factor, not sure if it's the biggest factor.
Thanks for getting it. Canada could easily hold have another 100 million people living in it. Most regions south of the permafrost are easily habitable. Southern ontario could easily hold 50 million alone.

Most large countries have rather large portions of their countries that aren't suited for habilitiy. China's western half is mostly mountain and deserts, brazil is mostly rain forest, indonesia is full of jungle mountains and small islands, the western usa is a desert, mexico is mostly desert, and the list goes on.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Relax, I was joking.

Your immigration thing is not a strong argument though, considering that the majority of immigrants to Canada come from poor and politically and economically unstable countries. Bad weather is nothing compared to war, hunger and political or any other kind of persecution.

It's a topic for another thread, though.

As for your question in this thread, I personally would move. The arguments and concerns you're raising in your OP would justify it for me to move. I'd take cut in salary and move.
This is why I'm getting a kick out of this thread. Most immigrants anywhere are of this group. Somehow accounting for this reality makes my arguement make no sense. There are large portions of this country suitable, for immigration. Atleast 25 percent of our landmass is relatively contfortable, and likely another 25 percent is suitable if our economic strength grows with our population.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM

26 posts, read 47,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Why is Canada's population so low compared to its size?
Quality over quantity.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times
How is the quality of recent immigrants to Canada???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMoose View Post
Quality over quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada