Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,506 times

Advertisements

Hello ! I'm new here. I'm 16 years old and my family and I are planning to move to Canada sometime in March or April. My parents either want to move to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. So I was wondering what are the teenagers like in T.M and V ? Are they like American teens or are they more mature and sophisticated ? I'm really interested in fashion as well. The whole trendy and euro type style. Anyway can someone tell what the fashion is like there ? Also what is the education like there ? My parents said I would probably be going to a private school. Please and Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Those are Canada's 3 largest cities but they're very different from one another and they each have their own sense of style. You'll find all kinds of fashion scenes there.

Generally speaking Montreal's sense of fashion mirrors NYC's. Montreal's traditionally the fashion capital of Canada and is often thought of as the most fashionable city in Canada. Vancouver's sense of fashion mirrors San Francisco/Seattle's. Toronto's kind of a mix of both.

You probably won't notice a big difference to be honest. You'll have all the same stores you're used to, plus some, plus independent boutiques, Canadian chains like Aritzia, le Chateau, Jacob, etc. Teens in Canada dress the same way that teens in the USA dress. Some teens don't care about fashion, other teens do. Some dress for particular subcultures (goth, skatepunk, hardcore punk, hip hop, hipster, etc.) others follow whatever trends are hot and are all about H&M and what have you. Some dress up, some dress down, some wear sports jerseys or track outfits, LuluLemon yoga pants, etc. There is no universal sense of style, although typically Canada's a very casual place - not as fashion conscious as Europe. A lot of people wear jeans & t-shirts. Saying that, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are the most fashionable cities in Canada.

Flare Magazine (a Canadian fashion magazine) has a list of some popular Canadian designers, to give you a sense of what's being produced in Canada. It'll show you some pictures of what to expect from those designers. (Note, some are just generic chain stores while others are actually legitimate haute couture designers):

FLARE.com: Fashion - Canadian Designer Directory (http://www.flare.com/fashion/article.jsp?content=20090407_092255_5260 - broken link)

You can also do some basic Google searches for "street fashion" and Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto.

Private school is pretty elite in Vancouver and not that common, but it's more common in Montreal. Toronto I'm not sure. You won't really have to worry so much about what people are wearing in private school - everyone will be wearing a school uniform.

Last edited by Robynator; 12-13-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtsmith1 View Post
Hello ! I'm new here. I'm 16 years old and my family and I are planning to move to Canada sometime in March or April. My parents either want to move to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. So I was wondering what are the teenagers like in T.M and V ? Are they like American teens or are they more mature and sophisticated ? I'm really interested in fashion as well. The whole trendy and euro type style. Anyway can someone tell what the fashion is like there ? Also what is the education like there ? My parents said I would probably be going to a private school. Please and Thank You
JTsmith1- where are you?
Generally, Canadian youth do not dress too differently from their counterparts in the Northern US. As Robynator noted, there are various subcultures that are prevalent across both countries. Plus weather plays a big role.
However, I do find Canadian youth do dress a little different from their US counterparts in the South- or there are certain types of dressing that is more prevalent in a certain region- that is maybe what I am trying to say. The "preppy" look as in youth wearing deck shoes, polo shirts, etc. is not as prevalent in Canada as I notice in certain parts of the US. Also, the whole "Hollister" or "Abercrombie" look is present in Canada but not as embedded in the youth culture as in its birthplace- the US.

Another difference is sporting-wear. In Canada, many youth wear hockey-type-jerseys, whereas in the US many youth favor more baseball-type clothing if you know what I mean. Also US youth are more likely to wear college-gear or school-gear than their Canadian counterparts. Those are some things I notice.

I would even say the "Euro-type" flair is quite present in many youth subcultures in those 3 cities, parallel to the types of flair you see in urban San Francisco & NYC..suburbs have more conservative/ conventional styles.
I'd add that those in Montreal are strongly influenced by Euro-styles.

Last edited by f1000; 12-14-2009 at 01:24 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,582 times
Really its a good efforts and it will increase the interest of the students for fashion industry and they can now better understand fashion industry.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you are going to private school you'll be wearing a uniform, general wear would be anything thats comfortable and appropriate.
http://www.cuhi.utoronto.ca/images/TTS_group.jpg

Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtsmith1 View Post
Other think people in downtown area you find more preppy and hipster where the suburbs is more dress down look.

People in Canada dress more like people in the US.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM

360 posts, read 982,255 times
As i'm currently living in Vancouver, i gotta say that Toronto and Montreal people tend to dress more fashionably than Vancouverites; Vancouver is more for those who are into the outdoors sports.

Not sure about Toronto but sizes in Vancouver are generally larger than those in Montreal cause demographics showed that people here tend to have a bigger build. I also noticed that there is quite a huge hipster scene here; you find all kinds of people here... and oh it seems that hanging out in track pants is an acceptable norm in Vancouver too.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Fashion and trends in general are more or less the same in all of Canada.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Fashion and trends in general are more or less the same in all of Canada.
Not exactly, there's definite trends that are more prominent in one city of the other, as the above posters have pointed out.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
As i'm currently living in Vancouver, i gotta say that Toronto and Montreal people tend to dress more fashionably than Vancouverites; Vancouver is more for those who are into the outdoors sports.

Not sure about Toronto but sizes in Vancouver are generally larger than those in Montreal cause demographics showed that people here tend to have a bigger build. I also noticed that there is quite a huge hipster scene here; you find all kinds of people here... and oh it seems that hanging out in track pants is an acceptable norm in Vancouver too.
Does BC have more obesity or do you mean they're just bigger framed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada