Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times

Advertisements

San Francisco (actually,Marin)
And then I'd spend part of the year in different locales,to include:
Caribbean
Portugal,southern france and italy for starters,with a smidgeon of turkey,se asia,and a few others...
If I had to choose other cities in NA (and i've lived in many,including boulder and san diego for long term)of any size:
Missoula,MT
Boston
Montreal
(maybe)Santa Monica
San Diego
Vancouver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
World class city I think means for visting/enjoying cultural amenties while you live there.
It does not mean 'liveability' per se,nor does it mean affordability,safety or green spaces....
So,yea,world class city suits NYC in that definition,along with london,paris,SFO,montreal (IMO),barcelona and many others....
It's funny how people compare and contrast but when you come down to it,California,for example,does have more innovation and creativity than nearly every other place in the USA. And the vibe here is palpably different in that regard-people come here for it,hence contributing to the creation and maintenance of said type of consciousness. Same with NYC as far as what people move there for-a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy and helps to keep that reality going in said location.

My point is that there is a reason why places get labelled,and stereotypes usually seem to have some truth to them.

It does not mean there are not comparable aspects to other places,but you know,a city of 100k just wont be able to compare,nor should it,to NYC. it's kind of a moot comparison.
btw,Missoula MT is a fantastic town with alot of creativity and natural beauty around it. but it will never be a world class city. No need for it to feel badly about it either. A location should know it's strengths well and build upon them. SAme with an individual.IMO

Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM

174 posts, read 540,992 times
1)Ketchikan, AK
2)Providence, RI
3)Gatlinburg, TN (or at least a place like it that is not encroaching on a "protected" natural area)
4)St. John's, NF
5)Eureka Springs, AR or Kitimat, BC

I'd put more warmer places on there if I could think of some that fit my tastes. Preferably I'd live in a small, dense, pedestrian friendly town mostly inhabited by aspies (like myself.) If you know of any like that, let me know.

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 02-06-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM

122 posts, read 412,497 times
1.Vaughan,ON
2.Yellowknife,NWT
3.Saskatoon,SK
4.Ottawa,ON
5.Minneapolis,MN

Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
1. Grande Prairie AB
2. Lloydminster AB/SK
3. Moncton NB
4. Swift Current SK
5. Canmore AB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada