Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2007, 06:36 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,423 times

Advertisements

Vern's Pizza!! My husband and I always order one when we are back in Saskatoon.

Yes, it is definitely more the "Greek" pizza style we are all craving, I believe. More toppings with more variety, thicker crust, more spices... mmm, my stomach is growling... I was definitely shocked the first time I ordered pizza from the local place here... this little thin thing with about 4 pieces of ham on it and barely any cheese... I was sure they had made a mistake - until the following time. NO comparison!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 22,031 times
I moved to the southern US 10 years ago, almost exactly 10 years ago. It took a lot of getting used to especially when it came to food. I will never get used to chicken and dumplins', chicken and dressing, and a myriad of other mushy foods they eat here.

Really i think its the flour. In Canada we used hard wheat, and the use soft wheat...and the difference in cooking is huge. I so miss a crusty roll.

Anyway...things i miss: Crumpets, Smarties, Neastea light, Coffee Crisp, Cheez Whiz (dont tell me its the same, its not), sesame crisps, Thrill gum, Slurpees, Robin hood Flour, Fry's Cocoa, Cinnamon Spread, Lemon Spread and last but not least perogies!!!

Occasionally i get care packages. Just for a taste of home.

And you are right, the chinese food in Edmonton -- awesome. Same goes for the Greek (which i haven't seen a Greek restaurant in forever), the Thai and the Vietnamese.. Edmonton -- you rock!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlena View Post
Thrill gum
Thrills gum? Are you serious? I didn't think anybody actually chewed that stuff. I always thought it was more or less a novelty item from decades ago, only known because it's apparently only available in Canada... but didn't think people actually bought the stuff.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,976 times
LOL at the Thrills. Have to admit to actually buying a package somewhere this summer, when I happened across it. Had to see if it still tasted the same .. and it does .. just like soap.

Jewlena, agree with you on the the soft and hard wheat and flour. It's impossible to get the results you want with such soft flour. Canada is lucky with the harder wheat. But from what I understand, Europe has even harder wheat making their breads that much better.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Jewlena, agree with you on the the soft and hard wheat and flour. It's impossible to get the results you want with such soft flour. Canada is lucky with the harder wheat. But from what I understand, Europe has even harder wheat making their breads that much better.
That's interesting.

I do know that many British expats in Canada complain about their baking not turning out in Canada, which always astounded me. I've never had problems. But maybe it's to do with the different quality of flour + recipes designed for European flour vs recipes designed for Canadian flour. You wouldn't think that would play a large difference, however, but perhaps it does?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
My list

Butter Tarts
Poutine
ketchup chips
meat pies that I used to buy in Niagara on the Lake
better Chips selection at Loblaws
Swiss Chalet 'sauce'
Harvey's onion rings
REAL Canada Dry GingerAle (tastes better north of the border)
Montreal smoked meat

i even miss wine shopping at my local LCBO

Old 12-19-2009, 03:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Right on bro. Man as soon as I did my post about 5 min. later I was like Oh ya the pizza!........how could I forget. I never liked Pizza Hut (I guess cause my step dad ordered it so much) until I came here now I think the Pizza Hut in Edmonton is Awesome! And how could I forget Boston Pizza............mmmmmmmmmm mmmmm....The Great White North is absolutely mouth watering.........oooooooohhhhhhh I can't wait till I go up this summer!!! Great White North here I come!!
Did anyone ever get a chance to try Crown Pizza when it was in Edmonton. Theeeeeeee Best!!! Total Dive but oh was it good. And Royal Pizza is terrific too. Oh Pizza Pizza!!!
weeird I thought all the big chain pizza joints were the same all over north america if you ever get the chance and are in vancouver try me & ed's they slice the deli meats just before the put them on the pizza
www.me-n-eds.ca -* Me-n-Ed's Pizza Parlors - Home
also Old Ducth ketchup chips are the best

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,081 times
Ketchup Chips. Ask an average American about Ketchup Chips and they will have a blank stare.

Smarties in Canada

Smarties in the US.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I have to say.... I haven't found much for pizza that compares to Canadian pizza -- there just isn't enough topping. To me, cheese and tomato sauce is the equivalent of the bun on a burger!
My wife and I were on the road in the USA for 5 years. I never once in that 5 year period had a good pizza. The problem with American pizza is the cheese they use has a way too high fat content making the pizza greasy. Add to that the sauce they use seems to be extremely salty and YUK. After maybe 20 tries or so I gave it up and just did not order it anymore. Another gripe I have about American food is their hot dogs. They are just so horrible and terrible even my dogs would not eat them when I threw them on the floor of the truck. I'm shocked actually the USA being the hot dog capital of the world or so I thought. Try comparing any American dog to a Maple Leaf all beef hot dog and you will know what I mean. Another thing I found is that Americans don't drink Ceasars. I have never seen clamato Juice in the stores there and you can't make a Ceasar without it. Now, I really think these complaints are rather minor in nature and they don't come close to the great things I could get in the USA that you can not get here.

I have been to places in Louisiana that served Cajun food that was sooooo good I'd drive all the way from Canada just to get some. It is just not available here at all and the odd time I have ordered some Faux variety here it has been just that, faux.

Another thing in the USA that is very rare here and they don't know how to do it anyway is BBQ. I love BBQ and I really like the fact that each region has it's own particular style of BBQ. I was at a BBQ place not long ago in upstate NY and I asked what kind they served and it was "St. Louis" style which I love, love love.

I tell you I'd drive all the way to Savanna just to sit on Forest Gump's bench and to eat "Low Country" cooking 3 times a day. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. That cuisine does not even exist in Canada at all.

WE do have crab cakes here but only in BC are they even close to how good they are in the American north east Atlantic region. I found this place in Baltimore where there was some extremely good ones on the freakin buffet. I musta eaten twenty of those washing them down with southern style iced tea. YUM.

Now, last but not least, we have a dearth of Mexican food here in Canada. Canadians for some unknown reason just don't seem to like Mexican food. There have been some good places opened around here over the years but they never make it. BOO HOO.

I ave eaten Mexican food from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from the north to the south and it's always been GREAT. Not only great to eat but usually great value. In my entire life I have always been a little anal about having a HOT plate. There is no better way to wreck good food than by putting it on a COLD plate. It just sucks the goodness out of that food in 30 seconds or less. Now, it's actually quite rare either in Canada or the USA to get your food served on a HOT plate except in Mexican places. They always serve your food on extremely hot plates. You could burn yourself on the freakin plate. Now, that shows a superior culture when it comes to food. They have some respect for the food and for the person eating it. Very very rare in Canada. Can you even imagine serving someone bacon and eggs on a freezing cold plate? That's barbaric I tell ya. I get weird looks when I order a HOT PLATE, like I'm some kind of goof or something. I never have to worry at a Mexican place in the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Ketchup chips.. I need to cross the border soon..

OK qustion t all..

do you find Canada Dry Ginger Ale better in Canada? i think its me, but the Vernors in the US seems less.. spicy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada