Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,716,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The term all - dressed is used out west, at least in B.C. Readers Digest even has a recipe for it. My partner from northern Ontario says they used the term as well. Strange that it seems so spotty across the country. I think a lot of places though are replacing all - dressed with create your own.

All-dressed Pizza Recipe | Reader's Digest

Also one of the places I order from here in Vancouver also lists it.
Similarly, when I was in New Orleans I noticed they used "fully dressed" for sandwiches with everything on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
"Club Price" LMAO!!!

Really? That's strange, as we still get bagged milk in Ontario. (Windsor, anyway)

You know you're getting a poutine.
When I went to Iowa, driving from Chicago to Iowa and stopping along the way I came across bagged milk everywhere. Being from Texas, I was amazed and confused, never saw that in my life! Seems like it would take up so much less room in the fridge though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

Coke in Canada tastes very similar to the U.S. version. Both suck. I only like the Mexican product - which is much easier, and cheaper, to find in the U.S.
Nothing like an ice cold bottle of Mexican coke on a hot summer day! I love that it is in glass bottles and it's pretty much the only way I will drink Coke anymore.

Are cheese curds a Canadian thing? That was something else I'd never seen until Illinois/Wisconsin/Iowa. Cheese curds in the corner stores.. then fried at fast food places. Fried! They were awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times
Perhaps we're such a big place that nobody can guarantee that one thing used in one place will be known in all places. Bag milk, "all dressed" pizza, vinegar on fries (next to unknown here in Alberta), bottle depots (didn't have them in Ontario), "case" meaning 24 beers (in Ontario) as opposed to 12 (in Alberta, where 24 beers is known as a "flat") ... the list goes on.

To avoid confusion, our American friends might do well not to say, "Question about my experience in Canada"; and instead say, "When I visited Quebec," or "One time in Alberta," or "Something I noticed in Nova Scotia." Just as the US is a big place, with many regional variations; so are we. Identifying the province might help get to the heart of the question or issue, and help all us Canucks learn more about our homeland.

Heck, I'll admit that I've learned a lot from this thread!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times
And an ice-cold Coke from a bottle on a hot summer's day? Heaven!

It is available here from time to time, but not very often, and it costs a lot when it is. Still, I'll get it. A cooler full of ice and bottled Cokes is a summertime staple in my back yard when I'm doing yard work. If the local supermarket has managed to stock it, of course. (Otherwise, I make do with cans.)

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And an ice-cold Coke from a bottle on a hot summer's day? Heaven!

It is available here from time to time, but not very often, and it costs a lot when it is. Still, I'll get it. A cooler full of ice and bottled Cokes is a summertime staple in my back yard when I'm doing yard work. If the local supermarket has managed to stock it, of course. (Otherwise, I make do with cans.)

I can only ever find really tiny glass bottles of Coke. I want one that is at least a liter! A general store up in Magnetewan sold them years ago, but I havn't been there in years.
This place right here actually http://goo.gl/maps/Y4JVm

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:

I've never heard "all dressed" when refering to pizza either, just chips. I think someone on here made that up. lol

I.
It's not made up. It's a Quebec thing. Mostly Montreal. It has also spilled over into parts of eastern and northern Ontario.

It means the same thing as a combination pizza: pepperoni, mushroom, green pepper.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not made up. It's a Quebec thing. Mostly Montreal. It has also spilled over into parts of eastern and northern Ontario.

It means the same thing as a combination pizza: pepperoni, mushroom, green pepper.

Oh, I know, Acajack. I was just kiddin' around. lol

Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Oh, I know, Acajack. I was just kiddin' around. lol
No worries.

BTW both "all dressed" and the French equivalent (toute garnie) are commonly used by francophones. In these cases "all dressed" almost sounds like "hall dress", as in "je mangerais une bonne pizza hall dress".

It is also quite common to see "all dressed" written as "all dress" on menus. Not "hall dress" though.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Interesting...but I wonder how did it spill over to B.C. but jumped over Alberta? It's not a new thing in B.C. either since I remember it existing in the 1970's here in Vancouver.

Another thing I've found is that McCain's Pizza, a national brand, has an All-Dressed pizza. I'm wondering do they not sell it across the country and only in areas that use the term or if it is sold across the country, others here just never noticed it.

If you go to the Canadian Slang Dictionary site, you can see this has come up before.

Canadian Slang Dictionary
Attached Thumbnails
Food differences btw US and Canada!-screen-shot-2013-02-01-8.54.08  

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Interesting...but I wonder how did it spill over to B.C. but jumped over Alberta? It's not a new thing in B.C. either since I remember it existing in the 1970's here in Vancouver.

Another thing I've found is that McCain's Pizza, a national brand, has an All-Dressed pizza. I'm wondering do they not sell it across the country and only in areas that use the term or if it is sold across the country, others here just never noticed it.

If you go to the Canadian Slang Dictionary site, you can see this has come up before.

Canadian Slang Dictionary

I know I've seen 'all-dressed' pizza here in Manitoba. I'm not a big pizza fan so I couldn't tell you if it is common or not, but I guess it is common enough for me not to have given it a second glance. McCain's all-dressed is sold here.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I know I've seen 'all-dressed' pizza here in Manitoba. I'm not a big pizza fan so I couldn't tell you if it is common or not, but I guess it is common enough for me not to have given it a second glance. McCain's all-dressed is sold here.
Hmmm. It's beginning to sound like the story of poutine. It used to be non-existent outside of Quebec but has since spread across the country....some versions worse than others. The best one for me yet was in Montreal. Just like smoked meat.....not the same here in Vancouver.
Glad though that I can at least buy some wonderful Quebecois beer here. Fin du monde and Maudite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada