Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 67,025 times

Advertisements

I want to live with a very close friend who's in Canada(I am an USA citizen in the USA, he's a permanant Canadian citizen). I am not sure of the procedures? I asked him and he isn't sure.

I heard that I would have to live in Canada for 3 years before I could become a citizen? But wouldn't that make me an illegal immigrant for those 3 years?

I do not have a passport or any type of ID(no driver's license or anything), could I still get in and live there? I am planning on living with him, he has a job. I am not going to be working at all. Do I still need to go through all the procedures other people do to become a citizen? I have social problems so I would be afraid to take whatever test they make you take.

If we got married, would I still have to go through all these procedures? Would I automatically become a citizen?
If I just went to live there with him and didn't bother to become a citizen, would I get thrown out of Canada?

Thanks for reading, I really can use the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,079 times
How are you planning on getting across the boarder with no ID?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Well, I guess I could get one then...

But then what after I get over?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,608 times
Default Read this

Check out this gov't site. Canada has a much better immigration process vs. the US. It is my understanding that the 3 year period would be on the equivalent of a Canadian Green Card

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html (broken link)

Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM

550 posts, read 2,825,079 times
I have a friend here who is married, lives here but has to have $500 for applying to become dual citizen.
Like evlevo said, look up the site and they will tell you everything.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Default Muffins

First things first.

Quote:
I do not have a passport or any type of ID(no driver's license or anything),
It's hard to imagine a person in this day and age who is without some sort of government-issued ID, but rest assured you will require at least a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID to enter Canada. A passport would be best.

Quote:
I heard that I would have to live in Canada for 3 years before I could become a citizen? But wouldn't that make me an illegal immigrant for those 3 years?
You have heard correctly. A person must generally spend 3 years in Canada before being allowed to apply for citizenship.

BUT

For that 3-year period, the person generally must have already attained Permanent Resident status. It isn't enough to merely cross the border and start crossing days off the calendar.

People who enter Canada as visitors are allowed to stay for 6 months. They are not allowed to work, nor are they eligible for health care.

Permanent Resident status allows a person to stay in Canada for as long as they like. It allows that person to legally work. It allows that person to be eligible for government health care. It is the rough equivalent of a US "Green Card".

Applying for and attaining Permanent Resident status is a complicated, lengthy, expensive process. There are entry standards which must be met, lots of government forms to fill out, and hefty application fees to be paid. Once an application is submitted, you can expect to wait a minimum of 18 months before receiving a decision.

Quote:
If we got married, would I still have to go through all these procedures? Would I automatically become a citizen?
No. You will not automatically gain citizenship or Permanent Resident status by marrying a Canadian citizen. You will still have to follow all the regular procedures for applying to become a Permanent Resident.

Quote:
If I just went to live there with him and didn't bother to become a citizen, would I get thrown out of Canada?

Hmm. If you entered Canada as a visitor and over-stayed your 6 month period, you run the very real risk of being deported if you come to the attention of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Staying in the country illegally would also reflect badly on any future application you might make for Permanent Resident status. Furthermore, you would find it difficult to work or access health care, unless of course you don't plan on either working or becoming ill for the rest of your life.

Take the advice of other posters and check out the CIC web site for all the info.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies...
Do I have to apply for this Permanent Resident status while I am in the USA?

I kinda don't get that stuff on the site. It's hard for me to read.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:53 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Muffins

Quote:
Do I have to apply for this Permanent Resident status while I am in the USA?
Permanent Resident status is generally applied for while the applicant still resides in their country of citizenship.

If a person marries a Canadian citizen, they then have the option of applying for PR status from either within or outside of Canada.

However, the wait times are similar as are the criteria and standards, (security checks, health checks, criminal background checks) which must be met. The Canadian citizen must also meet the elegibility requirements necessary to allow him/her to sponsor the PR.

Simply put, marrying a Canadian and then applying for PR status from inside Canada is no guarantee PR status will be granted. If PR status is refused, then the applicant will be required to leave Canada.

The CIC web site can be a little confusing, but the actual application process for PR status with it many forms and document requirements is much more complex. If you are having problems following the site, it might be best if you or your prospective partner seek some professional help with the process if you choose to seriously proceed.

CIC can be reached in Canada at 1-888-242-2100 8 am to 4pm.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:09 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times
Well, this is diverging from the OP topic, but I'm seeing some relevant info here so I thought I would ask.

I'm expecting to recieve a job offer from a Toronto Furniture Manufacturer. I am a United States Citizen and as I understand it I would qualify under the NAFTA agreement to be classified as a "Professional" Foreign Worker and my job title is listed in their index. In addition, I would not need to apply for a HRSDC positive labor market opinion.

Should I get offered the job, I will have a letter of employment and a full time job to begin with so I hope that constitutes as being able to support myself sufficiently. I'm a recent college grad and I'm up to my eyeballs in debt so there's no such thing as $12K just "lying around" for me to use.

I know I would have to apply for a work permit, and that I would have to re-apply for extensions yearly. I’m going into the opportunity with the goal of being at this position for 3 – 5 years and evaluating my future after that. I may see opportunity to move up within the company and decide to stay longer. I may see greater opportunity with companies within the GTA and decide to stay. My gut feeling though is I will spend the 3-5 years there and then make a move back to the US.

My main questions are as follows:

What is the difference between residing in Canada under a Work Permit vs. being a PR?

Can I apply for PR as soon as (or before) I move?

What are the advantages of PR status?

Do they force you towards PR status after that 3 year time frame?

Once the wheels are set in motion and if/when I do agree upon the job offer I’ll be contacting the CIC and seeking some professional help in making the move and applying for everything properly.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 21,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
I'm expecting to recieve a job offer from a Toronto Furniture Manufacturer.
Should I get offered the job, I will have a letter of employment and a full time job to begin with so I hope that constitutes as being able to support myself sufficiently. I'm a recent college grad and I'm up to my eyeballs in debt so there's no such thing as $12K just "lying around" for me to use.
Per the info on Immigrating to Canada: Skilled Workers and Professionals - Proof of Funds this fund requirement (the money you must have in the bank) is waived if you have arranged employment prior to entering the country.

That's what I read, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada