Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,549,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
Err Bagger...if you really wanna go in that direction how about those lovely Philadelphia Flyer fans who have booed the Canadian National Anthem at times during various hockey games? Or has that escaped your monologue? Actuallly there has also been reports of the Canadian Anthem being booed in St. Louis as well New York and San Jose of all places? And last year, thank you very much, the Ottawa fans actually cheered the US Anthem and continue to do with every US-based team that comes to the Scotiabank Place for NHL hockey. In Toronto they don't boo either...just in Quebec and that's another story in itself reserved for another time trust me! If you want to really get into this then take the idiots in Philly who had lost the Montreal Expos in the '81 World Series and promptly booed an Expos player because he carried a Canadain flag across the field in celebration?
I've never said it's never happened ever in the US but 95% of the time when it does occur in the US it's in response to canadians booing the US anthem - that's a fact and it you'd been paying attention for 30 years like I have you'd know that.

and I know you haven't been paying attention b/c the whole "it only happens in montreal" is BS when I gave you the very well documented examples in Vancouver during the other WJ championships approx. 5 years ago when the US anthem was booed.

And there was also the MLS (soccer) all star game where the US anthem was booed just recently. So it isn't just hockey fans or montreal hockey fans.

and PS: i have heard it booed in Toronto but thankfully not in a long time.

bottom line: nobody should be booing anybody's anthem, their are nuts on both sides but you can't deny it doesn't occur way more frequently in Canada and that it usually occurs in the US in response to booing first by canadians as is typical during NHL playoffs series.

I mean really , why would a bunch of americans even feel the need to boo the Cdn anthem anyways if not (95%) of the time prompted to do so.

Have a nice day.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM

106 posts, read 335,554 times
Well you sure made it out to sound that way. I am not denying there are morons up here as well. I know it happended in Vancouver like I know it happended in San Jose. I know I used to live in the Bay area. Don't know what the deal was up there as Vancouver is so close to Seattle and geographically simuliar but WTH anyway. Why do you always assume the Canadians started it first? Do you speak for all Americans? I know it was booed in St. Louis recently and Philly and New York over the years. You are right, booing anthems is utterly tasteless and just wrong. I would never do it. I am Pro-US anyway. Most Canadians I know like Americans.. yes there are some that don't but it's a free country...just wish they'd show some class once in a while..the same for the US as well. BTW, congrats on your victory over Sweeden yesterday...you'll meet us tomorrow night for the World Junior finals..good luck!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,252,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why is it that Canadians constantly root against the USA in sporting events, even when Canadian teams are not involved? For instance, Ive been watching the IIHF World Junior Championships which are being held in Saskatoon. Yesterday I watched Canada narrowly squeak out a win against the USA in a SO, naturally the crowd was 99.999% Canadian-biased. But today I tune in to watch the USA vs Finland and once again the crowd is 99.999% Finnish-biased. I figured, you know, that maybe our neighbors would root for the USA. What gives? Why do you Canadians absolutely despise everything USA (at least in the sporting world)?
This is an interesting question Steve. I think it has to do with the way that Canadians in general view Americans in general.

And how is that?

Well, I sincerely believe that if you asked Canadians to describe Americans in one word, the one you would hear most often, would be arrogant. And quite simply, people like to see the arrogant lose. At hockey, at chess, in cooking competitions, etc.

I am not saying that all Canadians think Americans are arrogant. Many of them would choose the word loud instead.

Everybody in the world knows that the USA is fabulous at most things they put their hand to - the film industry, music, sports, etc. We just dislike the constant arrogant chest-beating "we are the best nation" attitude.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,252,849 times
There is also the theory that people tend to support the underdog - and let's face it, when you are going up against the USA in pretty much anything (except a geography test of course) the other team is the underdog . . . so that may have something to do with it as well. Perhaps even more than the theories in my initial post.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,715,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
There is also the theory that people tend to support the underdog - and let's face it, when you are going up against the USA in pretty much anything (except a geography test of course) the other team is the underdog . . . so that may have something to do with it as well. Perhaps even more than the theories in my initial post.

I'd go along with that.

Finland has a population of just over 5 million while the US checks in at roughly 325 million.

It's always nice to see a small country give one of the big boys a run for their money; I didn't hear a lot of cheering for Russia when the Swiss boys pulled off the upset of the tourney.

I just hope the Canada forum won't be inundated with Russians who are upset at the lack of Canadian support for their team.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I'd go along with that.

Finland has a population of just over 5 million while the US checks in at roughly 325 million.

It's always nice to see a small country give one of the big boys a run for their money; I didn't hear a lot of cheering for Russia when the Swiss boys pulled off the upset of the tourney.

I just hope the Canada forum won't be inundated with Russians who are upset at the lack of Canadian support for their team.

Yeah I saw that the crowd was predominately cheering for the Swiss which interesting to see. I've heard the "irrogance' word being thrown around before which might have somethinjg to do with it as well. But I'd rather see the US win so we Canadians can beat them again!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,715,109 times
Quote:
Yeah I saw that the crowd was predominately cheering for the Swiss which interesting to see. I've heard the "irrogance' word being thrown around before which might have somethinjg to do with it as well. But I'd rather see the US win so we Canadians can beat them again!

Ummmmmm, the US beat Sweden last to advance to the gold medal game versus Canada on Tuesday, January 5, 2010.

The game will be shown live in Canada on TSN at 7:30 pm EST.

Hockey Canada has seen a tremendous amount of success in the tournament in recent years with 5 straight gold medals.

The Team USA coaching staff has an interesting goaltending decision ahead of it.

Do they flip back to 17-year-old Jack Campbell of the US Under-17 National Team, or do they stick with the older, more experienced Mike Lee who currently splits time at St. Cloud State with former Wellington Duke Dan Dunn?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,486,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
..... when you are going up against the USA in pretty much anything (except a geography test of course) the other team is the underdog . . .
Hey, we know where all of the important countries are!

I kid, I kid (ducks for cover)!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Ummmmmm, the US beat Sweden last to advance to the gold medal game versus Canada on Tuesday, January 5, 2010.

No really... I didn't know that!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
No really... I didn't know that!
What kind of a comment is that?!?!

Cornerguy is a respected contributor to this forum and, most importantly, a moderator.

As such, he knows that a great number of the visitors here are Americans.

Since the World Juniors get zero media coverage in the States, he probably thought it might be useful information to those reading this thread to know when the championship game is taking place, since their national team will be involved after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada