Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
One more thing was I have heard that I can't bring dog food into Canada?? I wonder if I can get the same brand up there as I have one that is on a special diet for his skin. Any help with this??
What brand is it that you currently feed him?

(That is correct - you cannot bring in dog food http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html )

Last edited by sunshineleith; 01-12-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: add importation link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulag View Post
We are making the same trip to Eielson in April (middle of April). I was wondering what kind of weather will we encounter on the way...
Which way would that be? What route are you taking? April weather varies dramatically across Canada depending on where you are.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM

96 posts, read 257,118 times
There are good feed stores in Fairbanks for special dog foods. Go to Cold Spot Feeds, been getting stuff there for many years. There is also a big chain store here.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM

33 posts, read 85,323 times
I am currently feeding my dogs NutroMax for sensitive skin and stomachs. I want to make sure that I can get it up there. So I take it I will have to buy dog food once we get into Winnipeg. Once I buy it there I should be good till we cross back into Alaska right? I have an english bulldog who has both skin and stomach issues and the trip is going to be enough I want to make sure that I can get the food up there so I do not have to change their diet while we are one the road. Is there a good pet store in Winnipeg that we would be able to shop at?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Which way would that be? What route are you taking? April weather varies dramatically across Canada depending on where you are.
We are planning on entering canada via winnipeg, saskatoon, edmonton, dawson creek, fort nelson, watson lake, haines junction, tok and then into Eielson.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 PM

If you go back a page to where I listed the climate pages for each of those cities and towns, it'll go through the ranges of temperatures to expect. Typically April can be an awkward in between stage in the southern parts of Canada (outside of coastal BC)... it can be spring-like, it can be wintery - you can never predict it. The range of temperatures to expect in April will at least give you a ballpark estimate.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM

BTW - Environment Canada's website has climate data and historical weather records for every city and town in Canada. It'll provide you with what to expect in April:

Weather - Environment Canada

Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 14,149 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
The route we have planned is from into canada and then through winnipeg, saskatoon, edmonton, dawson creek, fort nelson, watson lake, haines junction, tok and then into Eielson. We are taking our time so that we can drive mostly during the daylight hours. So I should use the radiator cover once we hit canada?? I can get some thin foam from a craft store and cut it to fit right? I am glad that there are sites like this that give such great information. I have gotten the best info on here and I am looking foward to the drive.
alberta is pretty much flat so you trip through the priaires will be pretty easy once you go into the moutains the conditions change alot the roads are narrow and lots of steep drop offs I would take tire chains cause they won't let you drive through some of the passes without chains if the weather is bad best thing to do is stay with a group of cars that way if you break down people are there to help the mountins are well marked and have signs that update road conditions

Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
My wife and I are truckers and drive these mountain routes in the north quite often. I have a couple of words of advice. If the weather is really bad, poor visibility, snow on the road, black ice, high winds or any other bad driving conditions, Stop at the first place you can stay safely. Preferably a motel or hotel but any warm place will do in a pinch. Every time there are really bad conditions someone dies. Don't let it be you.
My other word of advice is to get a CB radio in your car. If you get into trouble you can almost always hail someone on the CB. Trucks are everywhere and they all have their CB on. There are such huge gaps in cell phone recieving that they are usless in a lot of places in the north, especially in the mountains. If you are driving in the dark be very careful of large wildlife on the road. There are many serious accidents caused by hitting a moose,elk, and even deer can cause a lot of damage. You won't have to worry about bears at this time of the year, they are doing just what I'd like to be doing in the winter. The very best of luck to you and if things go right it should be a very memorable and beautiful trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada