Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Montreal long enough. I will be going to California for a period of time but know I will probably live in Eastern Canada to be near my adult Daughter. I am thinking of living in Ontario and be within a few hours drive of where ever my Daughter will be living. She will be in Toronto for two years but may move back to Montreal later.

I have a friend in Kingston and one in Ottawa too so I will have a kick start to a social life. I would love to have a garden and think Kingston probably has better weather for this. Ottawa seems to have a lot going for it but the weather is the same as Montreal which is pretty tedious to me. The extreme cold to the extreme hot and muggy.

Also I gather that taxes are lower in Ontario. Things like driving license is a lot cheaper as well? Any thoughts, opinions, info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Cazelais

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Kingston has better weather; it just has a slightly different weather pattern than Ottawa.

Winter temperatures in Ottawa are slightly colder,(much less damp though), than Kingston because of the inland location, but the Limestone City (Kingston) is subject to biting, damp winds off Lake Ontario and the associated snowsqualls. In the summer, unless you happen to right on the waterfront, Kingston is just as hot and muggy as the Nation's Capital.

Kingston has a small, trendy area near the ferry docks which is interesting, but it seems to me that the influence of Queen's University and the assorted Ontario government ministries which have offices in the city have rendered the area rather soulless.

From a personal standpoint, I'd much rather have the greenbelts and the great variety of cultural attractions available in Ottawa. The international airport in Ottawa also allows one to easily escape to other parts of the world when necessary.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:22 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
Thank you Cornerguy1 for your opinion. When I went on a government produced Kingston website it stated that they have moderate weather. I also ask a friend whom lives there about the weather and she said it snowed a lot less. I also gather through the web that the spring comes two weeks earlier and the fall hangs around two weeks later. I know, maybe it is not much different at all. With global warming who knows what the weather is anymore>look at last winter.

When I look at Ottawa though it does seem a lot more interesting and "happening". I am not looking for too much tra-la-la though. I would like better weather but that seems like it's asking for too much. Some parts of southwest Ontario seems to have better weather though may be too far away.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Cazelais

Perhaps the best plan would be to take a couple of weeks and scope out each city before making a decision.

Ottawa is somewhat colder, but it tends to be a drier, more comfortable cold. The thousands of tulips on Parliament Hill manage to bloom with vigour.

Exploring and planning is half the fun.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada