Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,845,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigago View Post
is that true livng Canada is boring?
Besides being very cold it is not too boring, as long as you have either enough imagination or extra money, which is about the same everywhere else in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 04:09 PM

323 posts, read 1,392,150 times
You should move to Hemet, California then, Cold Canadian for Hemet has that type of weather. All my life I've wanted to go back to the States to live and I know now that I am so lucky to be living in Canada. To have raised my Daughter here and not in Hollywood. I hope Canada stays the same in years to come and doesn't become too much like the States. I think culture is relative to what you like personally. The culture I see coming out of Hollywood is barf city.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
You should move to Hemet, California then, Cold Canadian for Hemet has that type of weather. All my life I've wanted to go back to the States to live and I know now that I am so lucky to be living in Canada.

To have raised my Daughter here and not in Hollywood. I hope Canada stays the same in years to come and doesn't become too much like the States. I think culture is relative to what you like personally. The culture I see coming out of Hollywood is barf city.
Have you lived there? I've never heard of that town but I do have some relatives in southern California.

I heard Hollywood is pretty scary...

Personally I prefer the culture of some areas of the southern U.S. to culture in
southern Ontario. As a group people from Ontario aren't very chatty; comfortable and uncomfortable silence seem to be the norm in many social/public settings.

The only thing I don't like about the southern U.S. is the widespread abuse of air-conditioning.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-02-2007 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Amigago...

You were asking how MANY Canadians want to move south?

Well it'd be safe to say that easily more than half of my extended family would prefer to live somewhere much warmer than here. Maybe not quite as warm as I like it, but 70 F plus 6-9 months a year would certainly be appreciated by most of us.

Overall, it seems that maybe 1/4 of all Canadians I've met would not miss snow and prefer to live in a climate like southern California, Florida, Hawaii etc.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM

266 posts, read 1,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Personally I prefer the culture of some areas of the southern U.S. to culture in
southern Ontario. As a group people from Ontario aren't very chatty; comfortable and uncomfortable silence seem to be the norm in many social/public settings.
It just shows what difference in areas is like... I LOVE visiting my parents in the metro Ottawa area (Perth) as people to ME there are actually talkative and funny COMPARED to where I am in southern PA. I constantly feel like I am talking too much here, and that I am very loud. I do not feel this way there. You can actually have a chuckle with people you meet...

Also I am suffering terribly now that "spring" has kicked in here... ugh, humid and hot, no cooling in the evening... I actually miss that as it allows the house to cool etc. but not here! I don't like having to stay indoors with the
A/C blasting at all times.

I will be happy to move to Rochester for this reason alone... I actually miss more "Canadian" summers!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
It just shows what difference in areas is like... I LOVE visiting my parents in the metro Ottawa area (Perth) as people to ME there are actually talkative and funny COMPARED to where I am in southern PA. I constantly feel like I am talking too much here, and that I am very loud. I do not feel this way there. You can actually have a chuckle with people you meet...

Also I am suffering terribly now that "spring" has kicked in here... ugh, humid and hot, no cooling in the evening... I actually miss that as it allows the house to cool etc. but not here! I don't like having to stay indoors with the

I will be happy to move to Rochester for this reason alone... I actually miss more "Canadian" summers!
Whew, thank goodness people in Ottawa are "talkative and funny". Cold Canadian, you had me scared there for a few minutes as I am thinking of moving there in the future from Montreal. As for Hemet, my Mom moved there from Hollywood or L.A. in the late 70s. I have been there many times. I was out there last year for four months. She was sick then. Hemet is a small town and not as hot as Palm Springs which is a 30-40 minute drive away.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post

Well I'm from Mississauga and have always lived in the Toronto area. Most of the time if you don't go out with friends or family there will be no one to talk to or talk with, or at least very long periods before people are willing to make small talk. I don't understand or like this "reserved" Northern (?) city (?) attitude. I much prefer smaller cities and towns in the southeast where you go anywhere, like a mall, a gas station etc. and you're more likely than not going to be hearing people talking to strangers, even if it isn't you, for no reason at all except that they are there. Some people call those kind of people "loud mouths" but I actually prefer being around people that usually have something to say.

(I don't enjoy people who yell, but just loud enough it's obvious they aren't trying to be discreet.)
Basically, I enjoy people being jovial and cordial with anyone instead of timid and introverted.

Where are you living now?
Up here it's nice and warm; 88 F in the day, 70's F in the evening and 60's overnight.

One thing I strongly dislike about Canadian summers is the possibility of days that won't reach 65 F, under overcast skies.That's cool enough that I have to were a coat or sweater all day. Also days under 65 F almost always bring evenings under 55 F, which I think is terrible for summer.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-02-2007 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
Whew, thank goodness people in Ottawa are "talkative and funny". Cold Canadian, you had me scared there for a few minutes as I am thinking of moving there in the future from Montreal.
Well my experience with Canada is primarily the Toronto area. I'd suspect many major Canadian cities to be almost as "reserved."

However, Montreal is known as a fun and happening place. I know many people who've travelled there and love it.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Yeah, Montreal is all right. I think I've been here long enough though. Hard to get a job without being really good in French. plus you have to read and write in French in a lot of jobs. You can get by but it's wearing thin. Plus everything is written in French practically. I like living in English. I guess I will never really be French even though I am the only anglophone in my entire French family on both sides.
I grew up in the States. Montreal is a nice place to visit for me in the future. But I am so done with it! I hate crowds, festivals, noise, downtown and suburbs. I like the area I'm in but apts. in Montreal are mostly substandard, small and getting more and more expensive. Duplex buildings around here are going for as much as 400,000 to 500,000. What are we in L.A.? Gimme a break! Plus there is noticeable rudeness galore in the core of the city by drivers and people too. Just too crowded and stressful. Some areas you can't even get on a bus and must wait for the next one. Like in N.D.G. for example. Most people are nice though. I guess a lot of poverty as well. I guess it's everywhere. It is expensive to live in a any city these days.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 PM

266 posts, read 1,196,638 times
Montreal is... wow, my favorite place (my birthplace as a matter of fact). If money, career and language (for my husband, not me!) were no object, I would be there now! It is definitely a more European feel, and very emotional and warm people with high emotions. Lots of sophisticated culture yet down to earth fun at the pubs. <sigh> I miss it!

Also, my experience out in western Canada, where I grew up, is that people are much more laid back and easy to talk to than just about anywhere else I have lived/traveled (except for certain areas of England). Saskatoon as "reserved", lol, no way on that It's funny, too, because easterners have no concept of how "alive" Saskatoon really is. They tend to think it is some backward small town - but with the U of S and the fairly diverse population I found it to be much more sophisticated than the US (or some Canadian) towns I have been to with comparable population.

I am currently in Lancaster Cty which gets much more southern weather than most of PA. More like Maryland weather.... a bit too hot and humid for me... although it is great for motorcycle riding

I talk A LOT for around here, yet I am likely just a little more than average when it comes to talking in Saskatoon or where my parents live in ON. I often feel much relief when I am out of this area... I can have a good loud laugh and not feel like some displaced cretin!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada