Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:37 PM

323 posts, read 1,392,872 times

Advertisements

air, I have been to Toronto ten years ago and the visible air quality was really bad. Yellow streaks in the sky. I never or rarely have seen this in Montreal. The skies here are perfectly beautiful. We have some smog alerts but not often. I also grew up in Los Angeles, which was and still is really messed up with smog.
Understatement. Jadel, 812 I agree with what you say about quality of life and about medicare. I don't think I trust Doctor's in the States as much as I would here. I would always wonder if they are doing surgery for profit. I have to spend some time in the States too and I am going to have to figure what to do for medical care. I am use to my medicare here in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM

417 posts, read 1,131,627 times
Default Depends

Depends on what you consider boring. We'd relocate to Northwestern Ontario in a heartbeat if we were either independantly wealthy or self employed. The things some people may consider boring are exactly what leads us to spend all the time we can up there - peace, quiet, natural beauty, wildlife, fishing, and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
For the more pragmatic, remember that Canada's economy is on the rise and the exchange rate is hovering around dollar-for-dollar now. Personally, I don't see a down side to living in Canada as long as you know what you're getting yourself into, such as cold winters, long drives to get just about anywhere, and limited jobs.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Air

150 posts, read 538,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
air, I have been to Toronto ten years ago and the visible air quality was really bad. Yellow streaks in the sky. I never or rarely have seen this in Montreal. The skies here are perfectly beautiful. We have some smog alerts but not often. I also grew up in Los Angeles, which was and still is really messed up with smog.
Hey, Cazelais, air quality is getting worse in Montreal. I've seen Smog Alert on the billboards on the Decarie every time I've been on it since mid-May. And I've made a few trips to the emergency room with asthma attacks. It might be better than LA, but I think it's the same as Toronto. Anyhow, that satellite picture I posted shows a red air pollution blot right over Montreal.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,392,872 times
I wasn't aware of the bad quality. I know there is too much dust coming in. I live in Verdun not far from the St. Lawrence. I think Montreal is over populated. Sorry to hear you actually had to go to ER for the asthma attacks. It figures a large city, as any large city will, continually have degraded air quality.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigago View Post
Most of Canadian I met were indirect. but when you really know them, you realize that they all (not all, sorry but large group) have the desire to move to US if possible. is that true livng Canada is boring?
Not certain where you have received your info but I think you are wrong.
The summers are beautiful and the winters a little cold(depending where you are and a lot of Canadians go south in the winter, but to live in the US permenant no,no,no.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 14,002 times
Default Georgia

coldcanadian writes:

For me personally, this is what I want:

1. Besides more sun, I'd like to live somewhere it's between 70-105 F at least 8 months a year.
2. I want June-August to stay between 85-105 F and never, ever cool below 60 F by morning.
3. I want winters to be snowless and between 50-75 F; a good time to grow cool-weather crops.

You are almost describing Florida or southern Georgia

1.In FL the summer temps will rise above 105, but for 8 months of that heat georgia will not do.

2. Try 115 F easy in FL, Right on in GA, but still 60 in the morning at both.

3. It is rare, I've never even heard of such as snow in FL. If it get 50 those guys thinks it cold. In GA only 2-3 inches a year, usually melted by noon of same day. Not sure bout cool weather crops in either.. any veggies or smoke do nicely in FL or GA
__________________________________________________ ___________
I gotta tell ya tho
Im in GA, real small town near Rome (60 miles ne of atlanta) and I want out. The sun and warmth aint all its cracked up to be. Trade houses w/ya lol jk

Old 07-07-2007, 05:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,863,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
ColdCanadian, I had the same experience in the Southeast of the US, I'd politely call out the window from the car for directions, expecting a quick response and wanting to disturb them as little as possible and leave fast, and people there would stop what they're doing and walk right up to the car window and excuse themselves for not being able to hear me, and gently converse about where I was going and how to get there, and maybe a few other things as well. Neither loud like Montreal nor reserved like Ontario, and really, really pleasant.

BUT -- in the Southeast, they say nasty things about "illegals," yelled at my four year old to "Speak English!!," got angry at me for collecting bottles after a party for recycling, and throw garbage out the windows along the highway. And wow, nobody opens the windows in the springtime, it goes straight from overheating to over airconditioning.

It is hard to figure out a good place to live. Right now, I am putting climate first, because I have had some close calls with asthma. (And there seems to be a smog alert every day this summer in the Windsor/Quebec corridor, so even when it's warm it's bad for me.)

Cold Canadian, did you find nice places in the Southeast? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That's what I'm talking about. And that's the only way of life that makes sense to me, with regards to meeting strangers.

What other languages do you speak?
I have never seen recycling there, but I haven't witnessed anyone toss trash out the windows. For the most part, most of the South I've seen is clean, not "Dirty."

I never had respitory issues. That sucks.

PLENTY OF NICE PLACES... What kind of area interests you?
Mountains, foothills, beach, sandhills, places near rivers or lakes?
PM me if you'd like to hear more about my travels through the South.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
I dare say you haven't experienced a thing called "humidity". One good July or August in the "Dirty South"...you'll have that AC cranked up to full blast.

A good friend of mine visited me here in Nashville from Toronto. First time to the South. Had no clue to the type of heat down here. She loved it here though (to my amazement coming from the big city of Toronto), and really wants to move here but her husband doesn't want to leave his friends and family. Understandable.
LOL!

No I have experienced humidity; heat indexes around 115 F with air temps still in the high 90's F and still that's not really a problem for me. I can breathe air thick as soup with ease; as if I had a set of gills.

Never been to Nashville, but to East TN. I'd probably like Nashville too.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
... But people were using AC in the springtime, and I was COLD. So many people said that they never open their windows. I thought it was wasteful to turn the AC on to bring the temp from 72F to 70. And it is so noisy, too.
I agree that it's wastefull. 72 F, even 74 F indoors isn't warm, so why many people want to pay to chill it to 70 F or lower is pretty strange to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I thought that I would think air quality was my only priority, and then it would be simple to find a good place to live. But the only places with decent air quality are....uninhabited I am so shocked by how bad the air quality is in Montreal, and this satellite photo shows it:

Attachment 4433
I'm surprised to see that I live in a red area, and how big the red area is; at least half of southern Ontario. It makes most places in the U.S. besides the D.C. to NYC corridor look very green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada