Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Air

150 posts, read 538,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm surprised to see that I live in a red area, and how big the red area is; at least half of southern Ontario. It makes most places in the U.S. besides the D.C. to NYC corridor look very green.
Maybe it is because the industry is right up close because farther north is too cold. In Montreal, I always notice how big factories are really close to where people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,746 times
You are spot on with that evaluation. I live in Vancouver and have lived in Atlanta (US) and also in other parts of the world. Ironically, politically Canada tends to be more progressive than US, but in social terms Canadians are really far more conservative, its really loop sided. I found Americans to be more assertive ( at times brash and confrontational) but also more hospitable and willing to take risks and to try new things. Canadians I think have inherited much more from the Old World - Europe ( Britain and France) than they would like to believe or admit and it does show in their behaviour. On the positive side I think it is good that Canadians take a similar position like Europeans that government should regulate that is very unlike the American individualism I experienced. Not that Canadians really have any strong interest in the world, but it sure beats American ignorance about anything the exceeds city or state limits. America in my view is a contradiction, it has wonderful world known institutions like Harvard, great liberal cities like New York Boston, yet at the same time it has all those redneck hicktowns that support Bush and his reactionary evangelicals, in some places over there I have seen abject poverty like in the Third World and extreme wealth just set apart by a few blocks, Americans, unlike perhaps more cynical Canadians, are true capitalists and are eternal believers of idealism. Still I always enjoy traveling to USA, I am not quite sure if I should move there. Overall I feel though it may be worth it after all to try and live and work there, that in turn may impact my perspective again, who knows. I came over to Canada from the UK, but realize Canada lacks opportunity and openess.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,746 times
Share some of the sentiment here. Warmer climates are fun, people are out on the streets more joyful, its psychological, how can people be really happy when they are enclosed in their homes for 9 - 10 months a year. If I had a chance I'd move to California or South Carolina or North Carolina even Florida. I' d suggest you apply for a Greencard, because you wont get a job just from Canada. I hope by end of 2008, I will be in the States.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Most Canadians, give the choice, would most likely rather live in the USA. Not because they dislike Canada but because they would prefer a warmer climate and less or no snow. That said I was actually surprised that only some of the Americans who went to Canada to avoid the Veitnam war moved back when they were offered amnesty. I thought all of them would be running for the border.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,628 times
I wouldn't mind moving to the US but the whole hassle of getting a Visa and the cost has
left me undecided.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 PM

942 posts, read 1,394,098 times
For someone moving to the USA, I think one of the things you need to consider is whether or not you plan on becoming a citizen or not. To move from Canada to the states you had better be willing to give up your health care because you will not have it here. Unless you have a job that offers you coverage or have a income to buy it, you are out of luck. Also if you have diabetes or other pre exisiting health problems it is next to impossible to find a insurance company that will sell you a policy. It is a serious problem in this country. I honestly cannot understand a Canadian wanting to move to the states any longer, other than for a warmer climate in the areas that offer that. Between the crime here, lack of health care, the constant battle between conservative and liberals that make your politics look peaceful , I don't see the attraction here. With that said, if moving to the states is in your plans. You need to do the following, plan and research every aspect of where you plan on moving to. When you decide where and move there, give it your best but always have the funds and a exit plan should you decide its not for you. Best of Luck.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
PMV

21 posts, read 118,444 times
When my husband and I decided to move from Toronto down to Georgia, I can safely say that most people we knew did not envy us. Yes, people generally tend to enjoy a warmer climate but, in many cases, the warmer climate comes with a price and the US "south" does not necessarily appeal to a lot of people. It all depends on where you end up, it's not all about weather. I think the majority of Canadians enjoy vacationing in the warmer parts of the US but are mostly happy to go back home after a week or two.

We were in a city on the outskirts of Savannah, GA....in our first month there, the doorbell rang almost every second day with a church group trying to recruit us or proclaiming they were "Messengers of Christ". Our neighbours were very openly racist and the lack of education amongst the population at large was very evident. Yes, the weather was warmer but it was so hot and humid from June-September that you came inside, dripping with sweat, after being outside for only a minute or two. Not exactly pleasant. People would tend to stay indoors and blinds remained closed most of the year. I moved down loving the heat but now, after moving back to Canada, I have more of an appreciation for the four seasons. The winter does royally suck a lot of the time but, like anywhere else, you take the good with what you consider to be less bad. Until the general attitude in many parts of the south changes, it will take more than sunny weather to get me back there again. Just my two cents.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
edk

95 posts, read 543,703 times
One thing to remember about the US South is that a good deal of it is the "Bible Belt" (witness the success of Mike Huckabee there, and his cool reception elsewhere). I have been told that when someone new moves into a neighbourhood, one of the first questions they are asked is what church they attend, and, unless you're an Evangelical Christian, you might feel out of place (try answering "I'm Hindu" or Jewish, or Buddhist, or just that you don't go to church.).

Of course, you could try such northern cities as New York or Boston, but they are just as expensive, and almost as cold.

I recall an interesting survey not so long ago, in which a sampling of Canadians and Americans were asked if they thought it would be a good ides for Canada to join the US. About 65% of Americans thought so, but only about 13% of the Canadians did.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM

170 posts, read 893,647 times
Would I want to move to the US if given the opportunity? No.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM

32 posts, read 26,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigago View Post
Most of Canadian I met were indirect. but when you really know them, you realize that they all (not all, sorry but large group) have the desire to move to US if possible. is that true livng Canada is boring?
You obviously don't know many Canadians, living in Canada is anything but boring, we live in the most wonderful country in the world The US of A would be the the last place on my preferred list if I was forced to move, maybe second last when Obama is prez.....we'll see

Edit: LOL somebody neg repped me for that post, must be a republican!

Last edited by baywop; 02-14-2008 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada