Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times

Advertisements

IT really depends, I left 8 years ago for DC and haven't looked back, but I grew up in Winnipeg. I always drop by from time to time, but I grew out of it and moved on.

everyone has a different reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
A friend of mine is living in the metro Atlanta area now and she has given me(as well as her friend who stops by from Ontario from time to time) rave reviews about Canada. My French teacher from the 11th grade is from Canada and says the same thing. I have given alot of thought to moving to Canada since I was 15. I know Canadians who have moved South, literally to the Southeast.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 17,546 times
Although an American living/working in Canada; don't think I want to pay for the American health care once I retire. Guess I'll go for long visits and should I become really sick, my southern friends have agreed to put me in a box and ship me back across the US/Canadian border. Yes, very cold winters up here, but you get used to it. Beats the summers with 100F + 99.9% humidity as was the south on my last visit in Sept.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
A friend of mine is living in the metro Atlanta area now and she has given me(as well as her friend who stops by from Ontario from time to time) rave reviews about Canada. My French teacher from the 11th grade is from Canada and says the same thing. I have given alot of thought to moving to Canada since I was 15. I know Canadians who have moved South, literally to the Southeast.
There are lots of Canadians here in ATL. You see their license plates all over the place. They even have an embassy here (in Colony Square).

Old 03-08-2008, 05:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerada View Post
Although an American living/working in Canada; don't think I want to pay for the American health care once I retire. Guess I'll go for long visits and should I become really sick, my southern friends have agreed to put me in a box and ship me back across the US/Canadian border. Yes, very cold winters up here, but you get used to it. Beats the summers with 100F + 99.9% humidity as was the south on my last visit in Sept.
By the time you retire we will probably have the same type of health system you have in Canada. The only reason we don't now is because of the Republicans (they are the very conservative party) and the Republicans are about to get the boot big time.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 PM

217 posts, read 346,427 times
Yes i want to move south, i have lived in canada for 13 years now and it was Russia before that. I spent my entire life living in cold northern climates and im sick of it, i want to move somewhere in the sunbelt and as fast as possible.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,829 times
If winters are going to be this crazy from now on I will reconsider moving south. I love winter but this is getting insane with all this snow. We are hard hit here in Montreal. Last night was just too much. Taxi I was in got stuck. Lots of cars stuck. Having to walk to my door for a block because my street was not plowed and impassable. The snow was almost up to my knees and the wind! Plus I get home and a good part of the flashing on the front of the building was making all this noise and looking quite scary as it was nearly being blown off by the gales of wind. Yeesh!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
You don't have to move out of Canada to get away from snow...We had a grand total of one inch here in Victoria this year and it was melted away the same day. If I want to play in the snow all I have to do is drive up a mountain. That is where snow belongs in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,829 times
I recently looked at Victoria through the posts and it really seems like a great place to me.
Most of BC seems very appealing and very beautiful.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
I am a Canadian living in Las Vegas with my wife and 3 kids. We moved here late in 2006 and we are enjoying it very much. Having said that, we are fiercely Canadian and very much intend to return home somewhere in the future.

There are very few areas in the world that offer utopian like weather and you can't believe how many people who live here complain about it here. Personally, i enjoy seeing the seasons change and find that i appreciate them much more now that we are missing them.

Living in Vegas in particular is a lot different to live in than one may perceive. For us it's a fairly pedestrian, suburban lifestyle with a few oddities like video poker in the grocery stores. We seem to have a nice balance of visitors as a lot of people come through on business or pleasure trips.

Doing business here in LV is difficult to say the least. It's not a market that attracts the highest caliber of professionals due to its nature (hey, valets here can make six figures) so it can be rather stressful on the personnel side - especially when you're an entrepreneur like i am.

Our kids are young which has proven to be a good benefit as many of the other Canadians here have had a lot of difficulties adjusting to the school system - life as a teenager here is very, very challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada