Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regina or Winnipeg
Regina 4 57.14%
Winnipeg 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 21,663 times

Advertisements

If you're set on living on the prairies than I have to agree with many of the other posts here; Winnipeg would be the best out of three bad choices. However based on your criteria I cant truly recommend any city west of Toronto and east of Vancouver. The western cities are cold, desolate, dangerous, and depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,836,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Texan hispanic here who went to the U of Winnipeg for a while. Winnipeg is a terribly underrated city. Very laid back and down to earth folk. And the architecture is to die for in and around the Exchange District. Very historical feel. As for cultural events, there's the Winnipeg Folk Festival and some other events during the summer. The lakes and woods to the east are beautiful (but the only thing I've got to say about the water is brrr!!!). Winnipeg is a relatively diverse place. Ukrainians, Natives, French-Canadians, Philippinos, Mennonites, etc. Be ready for the winters!!! Nothing beats a Manitoba winter. It's easy to love but just as easy to hate if you're not prepared for it.

Don't know about the U of Manitoba or cities in Saskatchewan, but the U of W is pretty affordable considering it's out-of-state. 10-12k USD a year, and you qualify for Stafford student loans. But know that Pell grants aren't available outside of the States, and scholarships are hard to come by for international students. The classes are small and can be engaging. It's a very worldly, politically active-type campus. Feels very leftist. My friend jokes that it should be renamed the University of Hipster. Lots of young people in the Peg, so you'd have a hard time being bored. =P
^^^^^^^^^^^This

Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,836,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
All three cities are freezing cold in the winters and all three have the highest crime and murder rates in the country although still very low by American standards.
In basically all other areas it's Winnipeg, no questions asked. A very arts oriented liberal city with a great downtown and wonderful architecture. A truly beautiful city and incredible under rated although that is starting to change. Cafes and restaurants galore and a hip yet friendly populace, Yes the French factor is over played but St.Boniface University is still there and is French only,
Vancouver would say other wise but it is the arts and cultural capitol of Western Canada and also has an incredible music scene,
From the first ballet company in the Americas {Royal Winnipeg Ballet} to a dizzying array of cultural events, companies, institutions etc Winnipeg has no equal. There are actual tour buses from the northern US that go to Winnipeg for arts and culture tours. Culture and the arts are not only for the wealthy in The Peg but is actually part of the city's foundation.
^^^^^^^Agree.The "New Yorker" named Folklorama one of the 10 best cultural events in North America, add in the beautiful Forks, one of the few Children's Museums in North America, plus the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, and the beautiful architecture, and it's really a great little "big" Canadian city. It's often overlooked by other people from larger cities, but the U of W is amazing, and there are great little pockets of fun, The Exchange District, Corydon Avenue (Little Italy); The French Quarter, (St. Boniface), etc. Lots of summer festivals, and very affordable activities.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo420 View Post
The western cities are cold, desolate, dangerous, and depressing.
While I don't disagree with this, I wouldn't judge a city merely because of these negatives. There are at least some positives to these cities, however I do agree they are few and far between.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 84,603 times
Neither. Go to school on one of the coasts or in southern Ontario.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
hey there !

i would like to know , which city would be better for an International students , in terms of better living in , doing jobs , safe , have good transportation , convenient? is it winnipeg city or Regina city ?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,178,846 times
Toronto.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,853,606 times
I've never been to Regina or Saskatoon, but I lived in Winnipeg very briefly as a teen. Haven't been back since, but I can tell you that I remember the cold VERY WELL, and I say that as a Canadian from Southern Ontario.

The other posters above who talked about Winnipeg now being a pretty hipster place with lots to do know more about that than I. But I DO know the freezing cold. I remember the summer being very nice there (no humidity) and the people being reasonably friendly. Nice, laid-back vibe, overall.

And, oh! Did I mention that it gets a little cold? Seriously, OP, you really have to be prepared for it. Or at least as well prepared for it as one can possibly be.

I'm with the other posters who mentioned Halifax. I'm partial to Montreal, but the winter's there aren't a walk in the park, either. Halifax is a really cool, fun port city with lots to do (there are 4 or 5 universities there). Right by the ocean, reasonable driving distance to Maine, Boston, NYC, and the winter's aren't nearly as harsh as those in Man/Sask.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 PM

250 posts, read 643,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo420 View Post
The western cities are cold, desolate, dangerous, and depressing.
Calgary isn't dangerous....

Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 PM

909 posts, read 1,155,195 times
Winnipeg has the most to offer out of those three cites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada